Any mountain bikers (pedal kind) near Quartzsite now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaBLOOnie Boonster

Reaction score
My partner in crime will probably be here in Quartzsite in a couple days. He and I do a lot of mountain biking -- the kind you pedal!  We are NOT racers.

At any rate I am here now, in the Dome Rock area, where the best trails are. They are ATV trails, properly speaking. But motor-sport people seem to like it warmer, so they aren't around at 9 a.m. I think it is a good time to mountain bike around here.

Anybody interested in joining in, let me know. It's not a race.

Unfortunately not there now or I would be in.

You going to be at the rtr?

WanderLoveJosh said:
Unfortunately not there now or I would be in.

You going to be at the rtr?

I avoid Quartzsite during January, but my co-conspirator said something about showing up at RTR and looking for mountain bikers.

Rock on, we'll I'll be there for the RTR and def be looking for people to ride with.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
My partner in crime will probably be here in Quartzsite in a couple days. He and I do a lot of mountain biking -- the kind you pedal!  We are NOT racers.

At any rate I am here now, in the Dome Rock area, where the best trails are. They are ATV trails, properly speaking. But motor-sport people seem to like it warmer, so they aren't around at 9 a.m. I think it is a good time to mountain bike around here.

Anybody interested in joining in, let me know. It's not a race.

Hi I'm in Quartzsite wouldn't mind a not too hard ride, but 9AM isn't easily doable, plus I have a dog I need to leave in vehicle preferably in shade or leave at RV park.

ramblinbob said:
Hi I'm in Quartzsite wouldn't mind a not too hard ride, but 9AM isn't easily doable, plus I have a dog I need to leave in vehicle preferably in shade or leave at RV park.

Why not bring the dog? I usually take my dog on rides, unless it will bother the other rider?

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Why not bring the dog? I usually take my dog on rides, unless it will bother the other rider?

Ok I'll bring the dog with me, give it a try. How about a Thursday at 10 AM and how will I find you?

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
I used to run my dog that way. I had a special leash that had the typical attachment point on both ends, one would clip to my Blackburn rack, and the other to her collar. She learned fairly quickly to stay away from the wheels. It was slow at first, but soon we were doing speeds of up to 30 mph with no problems. The key is putting the time in to train your dog.
I trained her to stay on the bikes left always. I also trained her to sit with mouth open while I squirted water into it from my water bottle.
Worked well, I had control of her, and we both enjoyed the ride/run. :)
Footnote, I always rode alone with her, so I'm sure riding with others would encompass more training. Too many spinning wheels would probably be confusing at first.
One thing about it, I never worried too much about somebody stealing the bike while she was there, as it was her bike as much as mine. She was a medium smallish Chow with an attitude if she didn't like somebody, but fine as long as I was there.

ramblinbob said:
Ok I'll bring the dog with me, give it a try. How about a Thursday at 10 AM and how will I find you?

Thursday at 10 am should work fine, ramblinbob. How about if I suggest an easy-to-get-to location: the South Frontage road of I-10, just east of the Dome Rock exit, about 5 miles west of Quartzsite. "Just" east means 100-200 yards, where there is a nice pull off, with a brown carsonite stake labelled "0217."

You can always use "Private Messages", swap phone numbers, and then text or email a PIN on Google maps.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Thursday at 10 am should work fine, ramblinbob. How about if I suggest an easy-to-get-to location: the South Frontage road of I-10, just east of the Dome Rock exit, about 5 miles west of Quartzsite. "Just" east means 100-200 yards, where there is a nice pull off, with a brown carsonite stake labelled "0217."

You can always use "Private Messages", swap phone numbers, and then text or email a PIN on Google maps.

Ok see you then!

Enjoyed yesterday's mountain bike ride with RamblinBob. I think it's pretty easy to overlap compatibly on a bike ride as long as people avoid the "race" image and mindset. It is always better to bite off too little than too much, especially when you are just getting to know the other person's style.

Wouldn't it be great if this kind of group ride happened more often?!.

Had a good ride, thanks for the open invite! Like to get one more in before I move on. the 26th or 27th would be Ok for me.

Bob

ramblinbob said:
Had a good ride, thanks for the open invite! Like to get one more in before I move on. the 26th or 27th would be Ok for me.

Bob

Sure ramblinbob, how about the 26th -- the weather forecast looks perfect.

To keep things simple, how about we meet at the same time and place as before: 10 am, on the south frontage road of I-10, just east of exit 11, the Dome Rock exit, with "just east" meaning 200 yards, and at the brown carsonite stake labelled 0127.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Sure ramblinbob, how about the 26th -- the weather forecast looks perfect.

To keep things simple, how about we meet at the same time and place as before: 10 am, on the south frontage road of I-10, just east of exit 11, the Dome Rock exit, with "just east" meaning 200 yards, and at the brown carsonite stake labelled 0127.

See you then!

The invitation is still open on this thread to anybody who is in the Quartzsite area and is interested in a non-racing, social mountain bike ride. The Dome Rock area is best, I believe. Make your proposals! I am here until 01 Jan, and then leave for awhile, per BLM requirements.

But people could still keep using this thread as a meet-up spot for riding.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
The invitation is still open on this thread to anybody who is in the Quartzsite area and is interested in a non-racing, social mountain bike ride. The Dome Rock area is best, I believe. Make your proposals! I am here until 01 Jan, and then leave for awhile, per BLM requirements.

But people could still keep using this thread as a meet-up spot for riding.

I'm up for one more as my stay has been extended a couple days. Saturday looks good for me at 10AM same place. Anyone else interested? Directions in earlier posts. See you then or not ... let me know!

ramblinbob said:
I'm up for one more as my stay has been extended a couple days. Saturday looks good for me at 10AM same place. Anyone else interested? Directions in earlier posts. See you then or not ... let me know!

OK ramblinbob, see you at 10 am, this morning, Saturday, at the usual place: Dome Rock exit 11 of I-10, go to south frontage road and head back east (towards Q) about 100 yards; Then park at the first pull off on the south side of the road -- it has a brown carsonite stake labelled 0127.

Back in Ehrenberg now until Tueday. Let me know if you have any interest in a social ride, mountain biking. There is a really nice loop here on Tom Wells Road.