Any ideas how to get a vehicle to live in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awner81

Reaction score
I am on SSI/SSD and get about $750.00 a month, after bills I have about $200.00USD left. sometimes around $150.00 left. I bought a car last year but got scammed. I am having very many difficulties trying to save again and am unable to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Is there anything at all you can do on the side just for some spare income under the table? (Pet sitting, house watching, you know, easy stuff) Do you have any valuable belongings you can sell? ( gold watch, collectibles, art)

As sad as it sounds, have you considered pan handling? It wouldn’t be fun but once you can buy a cheap van you could definitely free up some income.

awner81 said:
I bought a car last year but got scammed. 
Sorry you got scammed.  The only advice I would have is once you do have some money to buy something that's going to be rock-solid reliable, rather than something that's going to have lots of room..   Watching Bob's videos of people like Suanne living in their prius' really opened my eyes.  I guess you could live in anything if you set it up to work for you.

I'm sure everyone will tell you the same thing, Toyota's are near bullet-proof.  Hondas are very good too.  But, as you found out all cars can have problems or even be a lemon - you may inherit someone else's problems.  And you can never tell how well it was maintained.

I'd seek out someone local and available to you, maybe a friend who's also retired, who could help you evaluate a used vehicle if you locate one.  A woman or man who knows about cars and basic maintenance.  

I'd ask around at your places of worship if you're a believer, or maybe do a little blogging on facebook or another platform about your search, People love to root for others and see them succeed.  And you never know what people might donate, maybe even a very reasonable running vehicle?

Good luck, as long as you are committed and get some good help along the way you can make this happen!

You can sometimes get good deals at County auctions and estate sales. Have any buddies that are car savvy? Invite them to check it out. Paying for a mechanics opinion can get into serious money if you are interested in bidding on several vehicles.

Becoming as handy as possible helps. I just fixed my headlights today. Saved myself a ton of money.

awner81 said:
I am on SSI/SSD and get about $750.00 a month, after bills I have about $200.00USD left. sometimes around $150.00 left. I bought a car last year but got scammed. I am having very many difficulties trying to save again and am unable to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Honestly, the only way to do this on such a low amount of money is to invest in a good wrench set and start learning how to fix cars.  You might be able to sit-in on mechanic classes at your local tech college for free (no credits).  Once you get comfortable with the basics start attending the auctions and be patient.

Of course a charitable person or agency may give you a vehicle or sell at a crazy low price.

Ask and ye shall receive, increase the odds by presenting well as a deserving sort, really trying to improve your lot through gumption and striving.

Set up a creative, positive, and inspiring GoFundMe to present yourself as someone folks would like to help get a vehicle and then promote it?

When I first got into the vandwelling thing, I was given a free, crappy slide-in camper. It leaked, so I had a bucket to catch the rain. The fridge worked, so that was a bonus. I stayed in that for the summer in front of a friend's garage. It helped me save money and it allowed me to experience life in a small space without the huge cost. It was always a temporary thing until I figured things out. Perhaps you can do something similar?

awner81 said:

Other than getting rid of some bills & selling the car you got scammed with (if you have it) the only thing I can think of is to put a $25 or $50 a month away in a sock. 
Eventually you will have enough to buy what you need. Deals on vans show up from time to time...

In the meantime I've always liked this simple conversion of a mini-van   http://thegroveguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/toyota-sienna-van-conversion.html

When I got my first car (1965) I knew very little about maintenance I paid 30 dollars for an ex yellow cab 1953 Plymouth with 300k. Bought a can of paint and a brush. The only thing I knew was I could not afford to pay a mechanic. I scrounged up a tool set and began exploring the unknown. Within a month I realized the excessive amount of wear was over the top, but I had a pink 1953 Plymouth that billowed out blue smoke and the oil even at 30 cents a quart was beginning to add up. I started working at a local Flying "A" garage/ gas station around the corner the owner was a rather rotund Navajo with a pleasant attitude, I was able to park the "pink" brush painted car way in the back. Working on it late into the nite falling asleep in the back seat my girlfriend at the time would often join me and giggle at my attempts as she had no interest in helping me get greasy. Just saying where there is a will there is always a way.

just saying get whatever runs and run with it. me standing on my head and being politically incorrect

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 11