Any Bicycle Riders?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Are there any bicycle riders out there?&nbsp; If so, what do you ride and how often?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I have a mid 1990s Raleigh hybrid bike... Just had new tires/tubes put on it today and am fixing it up for a fun&nbsp;season of riding...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">How do you handle a bike if you're stealth camping?&nbsp; Here's my take on it...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I don't have to stealth camp right now so it's a non-issue.&nbsp; When the time comes, I plan to do&nbsp;full time in this area and simply use a small storage rental unit for the bike rack, Mr. Buddy heaters (yep - got a backup!), and the planned portable air conditioner.&nbsp; There are brackets that can be mounted on an inside wall that will hold one fork to keep the bike captive inside the van...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Hitch mounted racks are awesome!&nbsp; Yesterday I put a Curt class 3 hitch on the cargo van.&nbsp; It&nbsp;took&nbsp;less than 15 minutes to install.&nbsp; The&nbsp;bike carrier&nbsp;plugs into the 2" hitch receiver.&nbsp; Some day it will also reside in the storage garage when not in use.&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Oh, how good it felt to bike in the unusually warm 73 degree Iowa weather (normal is 42-44 degrees at this time of the year).</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I was contacted by the DNR today... If the campground host thing works out, it would be AWESOME to have the bike with me so if I need something,&nbsp;the option would be there to pedal to town.&nbsp; </p>

<P>When I had my C motorhome I installed a 2" receiver under the front bumper and used a 2-bike rack to carry our two Trek mountain bikes. Having the bikes up front freed up my rear hitch to pull my boat and ATV trailers.&nbsp;Being in campgrounds most of the time, we weren't concerned about&nbsp;stealth. We enjoyed&nbsp;biking around the campgrounds and, if close enough, up town to eat out. Now that I have the&nbsp;truck camper we haven't used the bikes.&nbsp;If I keep this camper I may install the bike rack up front. I miss having the bikes along. Just looking at the bikes gives me a sense of freedom.&nbsp;Good luck with your camp host job. I'd like to give that a try.&nbsp;</P>

I ride my bike all over town and it takes me to RR to get to work. Not in a van yet but&nbsp;plan&nbsp;to leave it at work. So in other words I'm not any help to ya! I am planning to get a foldable because i will be going all over the island(long island) and I need the bike.&nbsp;

we are road and off road bikers and just bot new 29ers and love them. we are members of a biking group and enjoy riding with others.<br><br><br>

<P>I have an entry level GT hybrid I picked up on craigslist for $50. I have a bike rack that mounts to the vans ladder leaving my hitch open for a swing away cargo box.</P>