Room For Bicycles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
So, I am pretty confident that I will have a van by this Thursday.  Woohoo!  Now I am thinking about what need to be done to it to make it livable.  I know I should be obsessing over insulation, heating, bed, kitchen, etc but that is not what is happening.  I am obsessing on how to keep my two bikes and bike trailer with me at all times during the summer.  My van is a Chevy Express Standard.  I have recently read that it is almost impossible to go completely stealth without sacrificing comfort.  In widening my eyes, I see that is correct.  I have noticed many a van in my area with solar and a vent.    So I am opting to make the van as comfortable as I can yet discreet and secure.  With that said, I am wondering if there is a front bumper bike rack that would be impossible to steal my two bikes off of without something like a blow torch?  

Has anyone invested in a gps tracker to recover their bike in the even it is stolen?  

I rather keep the bikes on the van so I have more room in the van.  With that in mind I have found some cool covers to protect the bicycles from the elements.  

I have thought of this little expensive solution:https://letsgoaero.com/cargo-carriers/enclosed-cargo-carriers/

But I don't want to obstruct my access or my views from the back of my vehicle.  The price tag is a bit shocking too.

What say you all?  

Keightley

Holy moly... $1480 for that box. It looks nice and safe, but for me that would be "a little" too expensive.

I really think less is more when it comes to full-timing, i.e. do you really need TWO bikes? Would one do and you could keep it safe inside the van - e.g. like FALCON did here 
19621878966_3d8e3f71d6_b.jpg

If reducing to one bike is not an option, I have seen these bike racks that mount to the front bumper and fit (I believe) two bikes - however I didn't see it covered, and I think if covered, this may interfere with your vision and safety. Others will know better.

keightley said:
So, I am pretty confident that I will have a van by this Thursday. 
<-------->
What say you all? 
Well, in my humble opinion, and enclosed cargo trailer would be far less obvious than the unsightly warts on the back that are in the posted link. This would also give you room to work on them when need be.
By the way, why two bikes? Is one a backup? One mountain, and one road?
The enclosed trailer will prevent people from knowing what you have.

I'm a serious mtn biker and I just keep my bike on the outside of my rig, in the elements, and cabled to something on my truck. I do chain it if I have to be in the city.
I personalty don't like front bumper racks because people back into them when parking. My method has always been a roof rack, or rear door rack, when living in a van. Even w/ solar panels. I just kept them on the north side so it didn't make a shadow on the panels.
I've had people build me rear racks that held my bikes up at window height and used basic fork clamps. These were my favorites as they kept my bikes above another vehicles hood, let me carry two bikes, and were swing-away like a tire carrier.
I used one of these for years until I got my current truck. Now my bike is just mounted in the bed and people are too scared to take anything out of it. ; -] I do still cable/chain it.

If you do decide to go w/ a front bumper rack, chain the bike to the bumper, not the rack!

That is one hell of a portable mail box...

USPS approved for mailing bicycles.

Batteries not included. :p

AND it's not stealthy.

Hey, congrats on getting a van though!