Any Advice on what to do for Health Care?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbreathe

Reaction score
I'm 55. I want to do this too. The biggest thing I worry about is health care. I'm lucky that I have a good job with good benefits. If I retire now I won't have health care. I may not live long enough for Medicare and all will be for not. We just don't know the future. 

That's scary. With my luck I'll probably break a freaking leg or wrist and need surgery. 

Health care. It's expensive and it would most likely ruin all future plans with one broken ankle.

If anyone has advice for health care. Speak up. 

Good luck.

If you break a leg or wrist, emergency services will be provided and you'll be billed for them, and then you can make a payment arrangement with the provider.
The big issue would be expensive tests and other non-emergency services.  You'd have to budget for them as part of your emergency savings or go without.
COBRA coverage through your employer can be expensive, but it can get you a little closer to Medicare age.
Of course, if you have little or no income you most likely qualify for Medicaid depending on your home state - choose your home state based on where you can get the best coverage.

I'm 55 also, and planning to "retire" next year. I'll probably end up working part time or seasonally at some point, but I've had enough of the treadmill.

justbreathe said:
If anyone has advice for health care. Speak up. 

I went on healthcare.gov and got signed up there.

Depending on your income and other factors like chosen deductible and covered expenses, you know, the normal stuff.... I saw rates from about $50 a month all the way up to around $800 a month...your results will be different from mine of course.

I picked a plan with somewhat decent coverage and deductible, co-pays, etc, for about $170 a month. This is with the government tax credit of course.

Cobra for me was gonna be around $400 a month...yikes!

Keep your job. Use vacation and holiday time to travel in the van you have built. Retire when you are 65 so you have medicare.

Many employers will allow you to take additional time off without pay as well - some extra vacations or extended weekends. And it might not be a good idea to assume the current costs @ healthcare.gov will stay as they are.

I was in the same place as you a month ago and I spent days searching and talking to people and what I found was there are no plans that cover you in all states. Florida was the best place I found and there policies had 50% coinsurance for most out of network services. So bottom line is if you need extensive care you must get back to your domicile state.
My wife and I both have poor health and we decided we could not take the risk of having a heart attack or something like that while traveling. So we are stuck in the daily grind for 15 more years and then I feel sure we won't be able to do the things we want to do now.

I don't have a link to give you, but escapees.com does have healthcare info for RVers. Try their site & poke around.
Might also be good to chat with a few brokers you may find in RV mags.