Any advice on registering my truck and FWheel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker/Wanderer

Reaction score
Hey. This is a bit urgent as I intended to plate my Fifth Wheel here in TX until I went to the DMV and found they need an Inspection done as well as I have a toll road debt I was unaware of since I've been traveling a lot for the last 4 yrs. The toll road thing has really ballooned and I cannot believe that they can block you from registering a vehicle as a result of it - a lot like the IRS I am currently dealing with also. My truck is still registered in Alaska with a plate permanent to the vehicle for its life-I think. My Fifth Wheel though has an expired Colorado plate because when traveling in CO last year somebody stole my Alaska plate and finding myself plateless there went and bought one at the DMV there. Logistics of road life can be challenging at times. So not being a permanent citizen of anywhere nowadays what is the suggested move on this? Wanting to hit the road early next week.

You might want to look into:
South Dakota - look on YouTube , there are several full time RVers that show how easy it is to become a resident and registering your rig.
Also insurance is pretty cheap from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take care of your debts. You incurred them.

Have you contacted Alaska's DMV to see what their process is for a stolen plate? You need to report it to them as stolen regardless.

Texas inspects trailers? that's a new one on me. is that true all you Texans?

and how do you get a toll violation on a trailer. wouldn't you get it on the tow vehicle? something fishy.

I agree pay your fine and report that plate stolen.

highdesertranger

Texas inspects trailers over 4,000#.

The violation is usually given to the tow vehicle. I can see where they could cross reference the trailer to the tow vehicle owner though. Darned internet makes data sharing between states far easier than in the past.

Yep, trailers over 4000 GVW based in Texas need to be inspected and titled.

The trailer tag might have been photographed by a toll road camera, they often capture a front and rear image, since many vehicles from other states don't even have a front license plate.

And a fifth wheel trailer will obscure the pickup's rear license plate from the overhead camera.

HDR,

For Texas toll roads each vehicle is issued a separate toll tag and each vehicle is charged separately when you pass under the toll tag readers in the fast lane. There are several regional toll tag authorities in the state and each of them honors the others' toll tags (Ah, the miracle of computers!), but what the readers are most interested in is the signal from your toll tag(s). They also attempt, usually successfully, to photograph the license plate of each vehicle in case they don't get a signal from the toll tag.

If you have a toll tag and it seems to match the description of the vehicle and the license number, you're good to go. If you don't, you will be fined and they will track you down like a dog with the full support of every other public agency in the state. You may not be surprised to hear that, in Texas, money talks and everything and everybody else walks.

Seeker/Wanderer,

If you don't plan to domicile in Texas, I'd recommend registering in a friendlier state, like South Dakota or Nevada. If you do plan to stay in The Lone Star State, my experience tells me you're just going to have to bite the bullet and pay them whatever they say you owe.

Johnny

Seeker/Wanderer said:
Hey. This is a bit urgent as I intended to plate my Fifth Wheel here in TX until I went to the DMV and found they need an Inspection done as well as I have a toll road debt I was unaware of since I've been traveling a lot for the last 4 yrs. The toll road thing has really ballooned and I cannot believe that they can block you from registering a vehicle as a result of it - a lot like the IRS I am currently dealing with also. My truck is still registered in Alaska with a plate permanent to the vehicle for its life-I think. My Fifth Wheel though has an expired Colorado plate because when traveling in CO last year somebody stole my Alaska plate and finding myself plateless there went and bought one at the DMV there. Logistics of road life can be challenging at times. So not being a permanent citizen of anywhere nowadays what is the suggested move on this? Wanting to hit the road early next week.

Yes, thanks reply folks. I think I will get a temp tag and then head up toward SD. Seems like a plan. I just hope the flooding is done with in the Midwest. I did attempt to find out how much they want and how to pay it but they did not show a violation for the trailer and was unable. Not a problem as long as I no longer register vehicles in TX and I don't plan to. Too much of a PIA anymore and I'll bet I'm not alone in that sentiment. Can you imagine hooking up and dragging to an inspection place every year to re-register? No thanks.