anti theft tire boots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found the more you do to prevent it being stolen the more likely it will be because they figure there must be something really valuable in there if you are going to spend that much to protect it. I use to haul 6 new Jaguars in an enclosed box trailer to Mexico on a regular basis, used a plastic bread tie to keep the doors closed and never had a problem. Went with a new insurance company and they insisted I buy a big high dollar chrome lock to be kept on the entire time cars were in the truck, trailer was stolen first trip! If take a tire off they just think my tires are bad and went flat, who wants to steal a trailer and have to change a tire? Oh yeah, don't ever wash it either!

bullfrog said:
I have found the more you do to prevent it being stolen the more likely it will be because they figure there must be something really valuable in there if you are going to spend that much to protect it.  

Good point.

I used to haul general freight, usually secured with a good quality but still normal looking, padlock on the rear door. But sometimes we picked up a full trailer load of flat panel TV's.

These loads are considered high value, high security, worth about a half million. 

They would secure the rear door latch with an elaborate cable seal and steel bolts, that went thru the lock hasp, down around the ICC bumper, then back up to the hasp and sealed with a special tool, plus sequentially numbered and bar-coded. 

Sometimes a bright yellow or red plastic numbered seal made of onetime adhesive tape was applied across the door and the door frame to indicate tampering.

Yeah. BIG RED FLAG that said 'Please steal this trailer'.

:dodgy:

to help guard ageist your trailer going missing.
layers are best.
one just makes it harder than a thief wants to put up with.
but the smash and grab creeps are the worst of the lot.

but if done by a pro. kiss it good by.

I see the high security door locks on almost every commercial late model van, that is also used for a company van. I don't think any of them leave valuable merchandise in them; but they just don't want to constantly replace working overhead items/tools. Most company vans are fenced-in at night too, due to insurance cost restrictions.

Parking, ir cameras, and firearms are critical need-to-know subjects for vandwellers imo.