anti theft tire boots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
Does anyone use those tire boots to lock your trailer when you set up camp and have to drive into town?  I've been checking into them and they range from cheap (easily defeated) to take out a loan if you want one.  I think I've made my mind up on the Brahma wheel lock and I'll probably need a loan to buy one but I believe it will be worth it.

http://brahmalock.com/

I have drilled out locks in seconds. 

Those are to keep honest people honest. If someone wants to steal your trailer it is gone in 60 seconds. 

Get a dog.

Out of all the ones of ive seen the Brahama lock looks to be one of the best, thats the brand I plan to eventually get. That along with the hitch lock. If anything it will make them decide if its worth the effort.

Glad somebody asked this -- I had been wondering if people used hitch lock or other anti-theft devices.
I would probably forget to unlock tires and try and drive away so i think I will consider a hitch lock :)

A battery powered cut off grinder could remove that lock in seconds. Still it would surely deter kids from steeling your trailer on a whim.

Motrukdriver said:
Does anyone use those tire boots to lock your trailer when you set up camp and have to drive into town? . . .

The best (and cheapest) solution is to remove a wheel off the trailer and take it (and the spare) with you.  That will defeat the thief of opportunity.  If a professional thief is after your trailer, only an armed guard will prevent it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
The best (and cheapest) solution is to remove a wheel off the trailer and take it (and the spare) with you.  That will defeat the thief of opportunity.  If a professional thief is after your trailer, only an armed guard will prevent it.

wow :-(    do you think there is much danger of theft with an old rig?  my trailer is an 88 15 ft and truck is a 98.

I'd prefer to pay the insurance company, let them worry about it.

hausmutti said:
wow :-(    do you think there is much danger of theft with an old rig?  my trailer is an 88 15 ft and truck is a 98.

No.  I doubt any of us have anything attractive enough to professionals to expend the effort and risk to steal.  We only have to worry about someone driving by, seeing an unattended trailer and decides to steal it.  Removing wheels is the cheapest and a thief would probably not be carrying wheels that fit your trailer.  Locks are easier and will deter most amateurs; most are smash and grab thieves, wanting to grab quickly and get out of there.

I should have mentioned that if you have a tandem axle you need to take of two wheels on one side off (or if you are anal, two on one side and one on the other side).

John61CT said:
I'd prefer to pay the insurance company,  let them worry about it.

That is fine if it is just a trailer, but if it is your home I would disagree.

But the worrying doesn't help anyway.

In the end it's all "just stuff".

There is agreed-value insurance, or so I've heard.

tx2sturgis said:
Or, buy a gps tracker. 

There are several on the market, here is one:

http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

I was looking at gps trackers too.  I'll probably go with a combination of things.  I realize nothing will prevent a thief that is determined to steal something but I want to make it as difficult as possible and then maybe my stuff won't be attractive enough to futz with.  Might even put up a bumper sticker size label saying "This Trailer Has A GPS Tracker Installed" close to the trailer tongue.

So they go to a little more trouble to find and destroy it

Just a thought, and probably too far out for most to actually do, but has anybody ever thought about fabricating a removable tongue? At that point you would need to have a tilt flatbed and winch as seen on wreckers to steal it.

Motrukdriver said:
Might even put up a bumper sticker size label saying "This Trailer Has A GPS Tracker Installed" close to the trailer tongue.

The sticker might deter someone without an actual tracker installed. Put one of those blinking LED fake alarm lights on it...along with the other locks and such...

Yep.

Easy peasy, no need to reinvent the wheel

FHDPB230101_250.jpg

Ballenxj said:
Just a thought, and probably too far out for most to actually do, but has anybody ever thought about fabricating a removable tongue? At that point you would need to have a tilt flatbed and winch as seen on wreckers to steal it.

You can special order trailers with a female receiver hitch coupler....which does make it a bit harder to steal. 

Those trucks are called 'rollbacks'...and yeah if someone is determined enough, and brings one of those, well....bye bye trailer.