Another one from me - reconnecting the speedometer cable?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehellend

Reaction score
My arms are scratched the hell up. I can figure out where the cable goes, and get one hand up there under the dash to feel all the connections, but there seems to be a lot of spring-like resistance when I try to push the cable back into the hole. 

Does anyone have clear instructions on how this thing is supposed to pop back on in a Chevy G20 van? Am I better off trying to remove the cluster panel and do it that way? I reaaaaaally don't want to have to do that because it has a million screws, but if I HAVE to...

Should just press on once aligned properly.
It isn't the most easy place reach, and damn near impossible to see.
It won't help to remove the instrument cluster- there isn't enough slack in the speedo cable.

Cursing helps, as does having eyes on your fingertips.

The spring resistance is from the top square piece not being aligned inside the speedometer head. It would probably help if you disconnected the trans end and had a friend at the transmission end slightly spinning the inner cable from that end while you push the other end in at the top. The transmission end should be fairly easy after the top is done.

0900c152800b15be.gif

http://www.autozone.com/repairguide...ITCHES/Speedometer-Cable/_/P-0900c152800b15bc

Ballenxj said:
The spring resistance is from the top square piece not being aligned inside the speedometer head. It would probably help if you disconnected the trans end and had a friend at the transmission end slightly spinning the inner cable from that end while you push the other end in at the top. The transmission end should be fairly easy after the top is done.

Ahhhhhh this makes so much sense. Imma try again tomorrow and see what else bleeds. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thehellend said:
Imma try again tomorrow and see what else bleeds.

Spoken like only a mechanic would. Now I hope that I'm right. I haven't actually worked on cars in many years, so most of this is coming from a cobwebbed up memory, that I have to pry it out with a crow bar. Gary68 seems to have a pretty good memory for this stuff. :p 
Good Luck.

Gary posted the correct pic. you are feeling the spring resistance because you are pushing against the spring clip that holds it in place. if you have cruise control disconnect the housing at the cruise control module. this makes the cable only a couple of feet long and a lot easier to manipulate under the dash. highdesertranger

Ballenxj said:

You win this round, after trying a whole bunch of stuff, I was like "Oooh I remember someone saying it might help to disconnect from the trans..." and BOOM it slot right in. Thank you! I think I need to tighten it or something, as the speedo is still jumping around, but it's working! More importantly, the speedo cable powers the odo, so now we're recording our distance again! :)

did the noise stop?

on the trans side next to the cable is one bolt holding a u clap,take that off and pull out the cable mechanism and there is a plastic gear that might be your speedo jumping problem