Another newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
Hi everyone, let me introduce myself; I'm Peter. I'm planning on becoming a nomad or snowbird. I'm currently a caregiver to my 91yr old mom so I'm not retired, though I'm 60+, and I can only get away one weekend a month. I want my mom to have happy and secure sunset years so I'll take care of her until she passes. She has dementia but she knows she is blessed, often she says " I'm so happy you're here". Me too. In the meantime I'm building out my van...I wish I knew what I'm doing. A 95 Savana conversion van. After watching many of Bob's videos I'm on the right track...I think. The other van build videos get me confused about what I want. Bob, and many you, have the common sense about what we really need. Next month (July) I'll go on my maiden voyage. Growing up in the desert I think I need at least 10gal of water on board. I don't know if that's enough. I could use some advice on that. I don't really cook food, except for moms food, but I do use a microwave for myself. I'll want in the van. I'm thinking one battery is enough and a solar gen.( when it's in the budget) and a used solar panel. I don't have anything else for 12v system yet. I've insulated, repaired some things on the van ( I call her Guppy) and am now installing the hardwood floor. Why hardwood floor you ask, because I already had it sitting here from another project. Next is fixing the headliner. It took me a while to find a glue that would work, im reusing the original headliner. Then I'll do the wiring. I'm not use to dc elec. I'm being extra careful to use the right gauge. Advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'm unfamiliar with forums and I'm terrible at finding things on websites. I'm assuming I'll see any response (s) in my email . Thanks in advance for any advice. Sincerely, Peter

Welcome! Bob Wells has some good information on solar and microwaves but the general rule is you can never have enough solar. It is getting better especially with the new lithium power stations as you have more charging options built in but still pretty expensive. Only other option is a dual fuel generator and use only propane as fuel to avoid a ton of maintenance if only uses occasionally.

Welcome! Fortunately you can tap into and read the many hundreds of threads in this forum that discuss solar generators, microwave cooking and 12v fridge/freezer units. That will give you a real education on the subject!

Hey Peter! Sounds like you're off to a good start! Personally, I think a conversion van is a great platform. We traveled part time in a '96 standard length, standard height Regency for 15 years and it served us very well.

Take advantage of the opportunity to take your time making changes/purchases while you explore your interests and needs. Enjoy!

Welcome! Bob Wells has some good information on solar and microwaves but the general rule is you can never have enough solar. It is getting better especially with the new lithium power stations as you have more charging options built in but still pretty expensive. Only other option is a dual fuel generator and use only propane as fuel to avoid a ton of maintenance if only uses occasionally.
Hi bullfrog. I haven't seen Bob's video on microwaves, I'll look for it. There's so many power stations my head was swimming with info. I'm going to wait until I'm farther along with my build and a few trips. Thanks for the advice.
Peter

Next month (July) I'll go on my maiden voyage. Growing up in the desert I think I need at least 10gal of water on board. I don't know if that's enough. I could use some advice on that. I don't really cook food, except for moms food, but I do use a microwave for myself. I'll want in the van.

Welcome, Peter! I'd definitely recommend camping in the high mountains in summer... like >8,000 ft is usually ideal. And it's best to avoid areas that have a monsoon influence (to avoid rain and mud and getting stuck), which means being far from the gulf. The NW is driest and sunniest in summer.

If it's hot you might need a gallon a day to drink... else half that? For washing dishes and yourself you can get by on 5 gal/week, but experiment.

I know the urge is strong to "have all the things you are accustomed to"... but I've lived for many years without a refrigerator or cooler, microwave, internet, toilet, etc. I'd recommend starting simple and giving it some time. If you really appreciate the peace in the wilderness, it might make all these luxuries superfluous. And having less stuff, means less BS to deal with, less weight, less size, more places you can explore.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you had joined sooner the headliner glue to use would have been answered right away! But there is a company called sailrite that can give you advice and how to videos for pretty much anything to do with headliners, upholstery, curtains and more types of projects for the interior and also things like canvas covers for shade cloth for exterior projects. They have a website for supplies and a YouTube channel with lots of step by step video instructions.

Peter,
Hx:
2003, we built our ExpeditionVehicle.
Over two decades full-time live-aboard.
Slightly dumb, excessively eccentric, leery of bureaucrats and preachers on televisionprogramming.
a)
Water:
Based on our experience, I think ten gallons of fresh water is barely adequate for a 'one weekend a month' get-away.
Irregardless of our experience, your need for water (and food, and propane, and spares...) will be determined solely by your use.
Changes:
If you are anything like most vanLivers, your rig is constantly evolving as you use it... keeping essentials, discarding the unnecessary.
Accordingly, we suggest:
toss in some car-camping gear,
go have fun.
After a few months, your rig may little resemble the rig of today.
Tanks Alternative:
As we explain in our introduction, we carry water in retired five-gallon stainless-steel Pepsi® kegs.
Our standard load is seven, a total of thirty-five gallons.
This and the skoolie forums have a massive amount of individuals with incredibly broad experiences and skills.
Ask!
At the opposite side of the spectrum, the IRV2 forum tends to focus on the straights, their 'on-line' purchase of a new remote-control for their dual wine-chillers and electric fire-place in their 'Entertainment Center' in their BillionBuxBus.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110
You might notice we eliminated anything delicate, single-use gadgets, and pretty much anything with electronics.
We honestly truly appreciate a 1995 General Motors product such as your Savanna.
Most of the warranty issues are clear, hardly any electronics to get 'smoky'.
b)
Photovoltaic:
Eugene, Oregon.
My neighbor owns MAC'S BATTERIES AND SOLAR.
They have panels stacked to the warehouse ceiling, with more stacked outside.
Cheap enough to fill your roof twice, plus hang some from nearby trees.
https://macsbatteries.com

Start with a couple of five or six gallon water containers and see how it goes. I myself manage with 6 one gallon containers asI cannot do heavy lifting. I typically go into towns once or twice a week which is more often that some full time nomads. I do a lot of water conservation methods such as sponge baths between getting a shower in town. On really hot days an alcohol rub down on your skin is a cooling luxury and it removes the salts, oils and the odor causing bacteria using only a small amount of liquid. Not for everyday use, just for those “I am melting”, once in a while sponge baths when your water supply is low.

I have a friend who is on a carnivore diet. He needs a lot of hot water and soap for washing his pans and dishes to remove the grease. There are many things to consider for living with less water. But one important area, do not conserve on how much water you drink!

Last edited:
Welcome, Peter! I'd definitely recommend camping in the high mountains in summer... like >8,000 ft is usually ideal. And it's best to avoid areas that have a monsoon influence (to avoid rain and mud and getting stuck), which means being far from the gulf. The NW is driest and sunniest in summer.

If it's hot you might need a gallon a day to drink... else half that? For washing dishes and yourself you can get by on 5 gal/week, but experiment.

I know the urge is strong to "have all the things you are accustomed to"... but I've lived for many years without a refrigerator or cooler, microwave, internet, toilet, etc. I'd recommend starting simple and giving it some time. If you really appreciate the peace in the wilderness, it might make all these luxuries superfluous. And having less stuff, means less BS to deal with, less weight, less size, more places you can explore.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice rruf. I'm certainly planning on staying in the high county. The Arizona mogollon rim is about 3hrs away, its 7000ft. I'm planning on eventually going to the Pacific NW. I've been watching some videos about it. The coast sounds good but I don't see any obvious dispersed camping, but found some inland not too far from the ocean. Living in 150* sunshine I never look for a sunny spot, that's one of the reasons I wasn't planning on solar panels. Realistically I know I can't park in the shade all the time. Thanks to Bob's videos I have a toilet/ seat/shower/laundry wash bucket figured out.

Start with a couple of five or six gallon water containers and see how it goes. I myself manage with 6 one gallon containers asI cannot do heavy lifting. I typically go into towns once or twice a week which is more often that some full time nomads. I do a lot of water conservation methods such as sponge baths between getting a shower in town. On really hot days an alcohol rub down on your skin is a cooling luxury and it removes the salts, oils and the odor causing bacteria using only a small amount of liquid. Not for everyday use, just for those “I am melting”, once in a while sponge baths when your water supply is low.

I have a friend who is on a carnivore diet. He needs a lot of hot water and soap for washing his pans and dishes to remove the grease. There are many things to consider for living with less water. But one important area, do not conserve on how much water you drink!
Hi maki2. Thanks for the advice. On my maiden voyage I'm planning on 5gal. and I'll see how it goes. I'll only have 2.5 days but I can estimate better for 2 weeks before moving. I thank God I have my health and can do heavy lifting. Here at home I easily drink a gallon a day, but im outside a lot too. Thanks again . Peter

If you had joined sooner the headliner glue to use would have been answered right away! But there is a company called sailrite that can give you advice and how to videos for pretty much anything to do with headliners, upholstery, curtains and more types of projects for the interior and also things like canvas covers for shade cloth for exterior projects. They have a website for supplies and a YouTube channel with lots of step by step video instructions.
Oh, I forgot to mention I did find a glue for my headliner. It's for fabric wallpaper that doesn't bleed through, works great.

Oh, I forgot to mention I did find a glue for my headliner. It's for fabric wallpaper that doesn't bleed through, works great.
Headliner adhesives for vehicles need to be rated for high temperatures. If they are not rated for that use they can soften and loose their grip.

Peter,
Hx:
Slightly dumb, excessively eccentric, leery of bureaucrats and preachers on televisionprogramming.
a)
Water:
Based on our experience, I think ten gallons of fresh water is barely adequate for a 'one weekend a month' get-away.
Irregardless of our experience, your need for water (and food, and propane, and spares...) will be determined solely by your use.
Changes:
If you are anything like most vanLivers, your rig is constantly evolving as you use it... keeping essentials, discarding the unnecessary.
Accordingly, we suggest:
go have fun.
Tanks Alternative:
As we explain in our introduction, we carry water in retired five-gallon stainless-steel Pepsi® kegs.
This and the skoolie forums have a massive amount of individuals with incredibly broad experiences and skills.
Ask!
At the opposite side of the spectrum, the IRV2 forum tends to focus on the straights, their 'on-line' purchase of a new remote-control for their dual wine-chillers and electric fire-place in their 'Entertainment Center' in their BillionBuxBus.
You might notice we eliminated anything delicate, single-use gadgets, and pretty much anything with electronics.
We honestly truly appreciate a 1995 General Motors product such as your Savanna.
b)
Photovoltaic:
Eugene, Oregon.
Cheap enough to fill your roof twice, plus hang some from nearby trees.
https://macsbatteries.c
Peter,
Hx:
a)
Water:
Changes:
Accordingly, we suggest:
go have fun.
Tanks Alternative:
Ask!
b)
Photovoltaic:
Eugene, Oregon.
Cheap enough to fill your roof twice, plus hang
I
Thanks for the advice largemarge. It took a lot of looking to find a GM conversion van on a reg chassis. A lot of Fords and lwb out there, but really not surprising. Macs batteries has some really good pricing. I'm planning on using a local distributor that sells used panels. I'll get them soon so I can make the roof mount to the right size. Because of the fiberglass raised roof tapers I don't have a lot of real-estate up there. I was thinking of making a roof rack across the entire top but that would motivate me to carry more stuff...not a good thing.
I used to have a Winnebago Luxor. A wonderful rv, but it's just too much house. I enjoyed the 4x4 van I had so much more I sold the Winnie.
Bob mentioned in one of his videos that the van is constantly evolving. I've already changed things and I haven't even left the driveway. It's only 102 outside so I better take advantage of a cool day and get back to work on the van.

The PNW is experiencing a cool summer so far only 2 days over 70 on the west side so make sure you bring blankets.....
Blankets and some. By this time of year I get used to 90 being a nice temp. 70 is almost chilly.

I recently discovered that my blood pressure somehow has become very high, this occurred after age 65, I am not sure when. The low number is okay but the high one was crazy high. So be sure to check your bp now and then, especially if you are older. I had no symptoms of this. It would be easy for a nomadic person to just sail along, never suspecting that a stroke was very near at at hand.

Mine has spiked a few times too in the last few years (though fortunately, so far it's always come down again). I think there are places you can get it checked for free, like Walgreens and Walmart? though I don't think they're supposed to be as reliable as one you get from your doctor's office. If someone googled "free blood pressure check" and their area, they might find other options since there seem to be some local initiatives, also health fairs and the like. Of course staying in regular touch with your own doctor, if you have one or can get one, is the best option.
Like Beachy, when mine went high I didn't feel any symptoms. I assumed I was still cruising along with the undeservedlly great BP numbers I'd had my whole life. It's definitely worth keeping on top of this!