Another "Forced into the life I always wanted anyway" Tale

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrasshopperGal

Reaction score
It's a long, circuitous story that can be hard to follow. There are 2 versions of how I got here and which one I tell depends on what mood I'm in at the time.

Mom has always said I share my father's "itchy feet" and I've never been able to argue with that, having envisioned living out of the back of a pickup truck for as long as I've heard Mom tell me about her adventures with Dad-- before I came along and Mom issued the "settle down or leave for good" ultimatum...Dad came to visit several times. I liked camping in the back of his truck.  :blush:

My 51st year is barreling toward me and the last 5 have been doozies. The sort that leave you staring at a pile of rubbish that used to be your glass slippers and wondering just where you went wrong.

Lost the partner, the dogs, the house, and the business within 18 months in a dominoe effect of circumstances beyond my control and subsequent decisions made in the mad scramble to get control back before it was too late...which may or may not have actually been good ideas. There's not enough distance between all that and the rear view mirror for me to tell for sure yet.

I've been accused of being "a tad wordy" -- all my posts are likely to be long. Apologies in advance.

There's a 6x12 V-nose Cargo Mate cargo trailer sitting in my mother's driveway at the momemt (I am currently traveling with a friend-- because I can!) waiting for me to return and finish converting the drab, birch-lined interior into a comfortable tiny home on wheels. There's a Toyota 4Runner parked at my friend's house, waiting for my return so it can tow the trailer around the continent. 

I have a modest income from work I can do online and my overhead is stripped down to the essentials. 

This isn't how I envisioned the start of the nomadic life I've been dreaming of since I was 8, but at least it's finally a start.

I finally registered here so I can ask some questions, get some advice, and hopefully make some friends along the way. (I'm your standard introvert and often shy.)

Hello CRVL! Nice to meet you.

Welcome GrasshopperGal to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome....and that story was not really that hard to follow...stuff happens, then you hit the road!

Have a nice time out there!

:cool: