Another 6x12 Vee Nose Trailer build begins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRockSpeaker

Reaction score
After a year of research, and months of planning and talking about it, my wife and I finally got our new 6x12 custom cargo trailer home!  A day and a half of driving from NY to GA, and 2 1/2 days driving back.  We got a chance to try out the new mattress, the new portable toilet, and cooking and eating in the new space, all the while discussing how we want to build it out.  Stay tuned for the YouTube channel to document the build!
trailer side.JPG Port Jervis NY.jpg  SC Morning.jpg

Attachments

• trailer side.JPG
    trailer side.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Port Jervis NY.jpg
    Port Jervis NY.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 54
  • SC Morning.jpg
    SC Morning.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 53
Looks similar to the color I will be getting, which I love. Congrats! Have you started the YT channel yet? I'd like to see what you do. May I also ask what mattress you used and if you like it?

mothercoder said:
Looks similar to the color I will be getting, which I love.  Congrats!  Have you started the YT channel yet?  I'd like to see what you do.  May I also ask what mattress you used and if you like it?

Have not yet started the channel, too busy right now getting rid of snow here in NY! 
Here's the link for the Queen-Short mattress we got, a 10" gel foam:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097X6730/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Last weekend I completed the sanding of the interior walls and the painting of the ceiling; hopefully this weekend I can get the walls done.  Just picked up laminate floor at Lumber Liquidators.  Once fully painted and floor is in, I will reveal the first part of the build.

BigRockSpeaker said:
After a year of research, and months of planning and talking about it, my wife and I finally got our new 6x12 custom cargo trailer home! 

Too cool!  I'm in the midst of building out my 6X12, so having another poster on the forum in the same mode will be good to have ... I'll be taking notes!  :)

Congrats!  Aye, 'tis a nice color!

IAmWoody said:
Did you get this in Pearson?

I did get it in Pearson.  I'd like to give the guys a plug, but as yet the jury is out as to how I feel overall on my experience with them. I'm sure a lot of my frustration stems from the fact that I didn't sit with them in person to discuss the build, but by the same token I did furnish them with very specific drawings (which they requested) specifying exactly what I wanted and all the measurements. Still waiting on a $70 refund that I was promised for not making the interior height to spec.  If I was more local, I'm sure the discussions all during the build might have been more frequent and less confusing.

My experience with a custom build was awful. I had to sue the distributor for a remedy. You and I aren't the only ones who have had custom orders not built per spec.

BigRockSpeaker said:
I did get it in Pearson.  I'd like to give the guys a plug, but as yet the jury is out as to how I feel overall on my experience with them. I'm sure a lot of my frustration stems from the fact that I didn't sit with them in person to discuss the build, but by the same token I did furnish them with very specific drawings (which they requested) specifying exactly what I wanted and all the measurements. Still waiting on a $70 refund that I was promised for not making the interior height to spec.  If I was more local, I'm sure the discussions all during the build might have been more frequent and less confusing.

I had one of them bookmarked because it seemed like such a good cost, but found another one as well. One has Georgia in the name, and the other Plain. I would be interested in knowing which of those has the lack of integrity on providing the refund. I do not deal with anyone or any entity that does not maintain their integrity.

I want to get something with windows already installed and would prefer that they install a Maxx or Fantastic fan, even if I have to buy it for them to do so, instead of the standard crap fan.

Hi folks, no YouTube channel yet, but I thought I would post these pics as the first major milestone (at least in my mind) has been reached.  I  have the ceiling and walls painted, the flooring has been installed, and I put on the RV flush-mount lock that was omitted at the factory (long story).  I am quite pleased with the way everything came out.  

Next up is the bed (modifying my plan to make it more lightweight), and then the kitchen (again, looking for lightweight options, following and posting on the lightweight cargo trailer thread).

Here are the pics of the finished interior, ready for the build out (somehow they posted sideways, you'll have to click on them to view them right side up):

Lock Exterior.JPG
Interior FInish 2.JPG
Interior Finish 3.JPG
Interior Finish 1.JPG

Attachments

• Lock Exterior.JPG
    Lock Exterior.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Interior FInish 2.JPG
    Interior FInish 2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 35
  • Interior Finish 3.JPG
    Interior Finish 3.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 37
  • Interior Finish 1.JPG
    Interior Finish 1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi folks,

This weeks's update on the trailer build:  Bed and Kitchen!

I found a website from a carpenter talking about "over-engineering" and "over-building" projects, and offered his plans for a lightweight but sturdy platform bed (http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-easy-low-waste-platform-bed/).  I liked his design, but personally felt it was a biit "under-built," but I did take some of the design features and built something a bit in-between his design and mine, and felt I was able to shed a few pounds off the weight:

Bed Frame.JPG

Add the mattress on top, and we're sleeping!  I did make some modifications, removing the spacers on the driver's side and shifting the bed over, allowing for storage of a folding table on the passenger side, while still having space on the driver's side for my planned build of small storage cubbies for glasses, cell phone, tablets, and the like:

Interior bed.JPG

Next was the kitchen build.  I've been following and posting in another thread on the "Grand Plan Lightest"  kitchen build (http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=29865&highlight=lightest), and again have been fine tuning my design and, with the approval of and suggestions by my wife (after all, SHE has to be happy with it too, or else all this is for naught), have started the framing:

kitchen framing start.JPG

This part is going very slowly, because, being a cargo trailer, nothing is plumb or square, and the angles of the vee nose are tricky.  It may not show up in the photo, but the framing is attached ONLY to the walls, and not the floor, and there is a miniscule gap on the outside edge of the frame.  This, hopefully, will allow for the flexing of the trailer as it goes down the road.

I also have made a hole in the framing on the vee so that wiring can feed down to the outlet and converter box later.

Next weekend I hope to finish the main part of the kitchen framing and countertop.  Let me know thoughts and opinions, especially suggestions for improvement, now before I get too far into this thing!

Attachments

• Bed Frame.JPG
    Bed Frame.JPG
    781.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Interior bed.JPG
    Interior bed.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • kitchen framing start.JPG
    kitchen framing start.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
the trailer looks good. I used e-track on the walls and their 2x4 mounts to make the bed frame adjustable/removable.

also consider that the side doors hinged lock can be used to lock someone in there! with or without a lock on it the hinged bar can still block exit. I would alter it so it can be locked in the open position when not being used (when your inside)

Looks great, thinking about one for myself. I like your windows too.

What did you insulate the walls and ceiling with?

safarivan said:
also consider that the side doors hinged lock can be used to lock someone in there! with or without a lock on it the hinged bar can still block exit.  I would alter it so it can be locked in the open position when not being used (when your inside)

Actually, we got that covered.  When we first picked it up and drove it home from GA, we had no way of keeping the door closed, so we used the hinged bar to hold it closed.  Since we have a window in the door, it's just a matter of opening the window and moving the bar. (We thought about locking us in, but the thought crossed my mind of reaching out with the key and then promptly dropping it on the ground :)  

I still may do the opposite side bar lock at some point...still getting over the bravery test of cutting through the door of a brand new trailer to install the flush lock!

BigRockSpeaker said:
Actually, we got that covered.  When we first picked it up and drove it home from GA, we had no way of keeping the door closed, so we used the hinged bar to hold it closed.  Since we have a window in the door, it's just a matter of opening the window and moving the bar. (We thought about locking us in, but the thought crossed my mind of reaching out with the key and then promptly dropping it on the ground :)  

I still may do the opposite side bar lock at some point...still getting over the bravery test of cutting through the door of a brand new trailer to install the flush lock!

yeah wasnt considering the window. I put the same lock/handle in mine but have no window and considering removing that bar one altogether, with all the battery powered grinders out there now it really isnt all that secure and kinda heavy but I havnt removed it yet. the back doors are the same but I put little dead bolt slider locks on top and bottom of the left side back door to keep it closed when the other is open.

safarivan said:
yeah wasnt considering the window. I put the same lock/handle in mine but have no window and considering removing that bar one altogether, with all the battery powered grinders out there now it really isnt all that secure and kinda heavy but I havnt removed it yet. the back doors are the same but I put little dead bolt slider locks on top and bottom of the left side back door to keep it closed when the other is open.

I am also doing deadbolts on the back door.  The reason I opted for barn doors was to have an emergency exit (besides trying to crawl out the windows at my age!)

I've made phone calls all day... a cargo trailer with double doors (barn doors) on the rear is hard to find. May have to have one built.