Animal In Parked Cars Laws Summary

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Journeyman said:
You could always get a suction cup thermometer and attach it to the window so the police could see what the temp is in the van.

I saw a truck with one on the passenger door yesterday.  The yellow lab was sitting in the drivers seat keeping it warm.  The temp was 63*F and i bet the seat was warm for when the driver got back.  It was 33* out side.

"2. Cars and vans (etc): If you want to leave the van a/c or heat on, the motor must be running, which means the key is in the ignition and the gearshift is in Park. And if the key is in the ignition and running, isn't it impossible to lock the door? "

We have been known to leave our vehicle running as long as 4 hrs, while riding a Tour Train here in WV.
Our dog wasn't allowed on the train, so we left her in the car, went on the ride and then came back, it was 4 hrs long and the dog was OK and no one got all bent because we left her in the vehicle while it was hot.
We do it all the  time, when going shopping, whatever, she goes were we go, so if we need to leave her in the vehicle, we leave it running.
Our vehicles allow us to leave it on, and lock the doors too. Some won't allow you to do this, but we have fooled the vehicle by locking the vehicle from the passenger side, after the driver gets out.  
Gotta' keep those pets cool, when it is warm, and warm when it is cool.
Sharon

One thing that bothers me about leaving pets in a running car with the a/c on is reading about a couple of police officers who left their patrol dogs that way (at least one at night), the a/c failed, and the dogs died.

I don't know much about cars (other than where to put the key), but when I did have vehicles that had a/c, the cool air got warmer the longer I let it go w/o driving the vehicle. Are more modern cars different?

I have enough battery power to run my cheap-*ss rooftop A/C for up to 10 hours if I need to. I will never leave my dogs in a hot RV no matter how cool/awesome the attraction for us humans.

I shudder just thinking about the horrible and torturous way dogs die when overheated. They don't have the same internal cooling mechanisms like humans. I'm with steamjam1. I never leave my dogs in the vehicle by themselves for more than a few minutes. Even while I go potty and get gas, I turn on the two fans I have to keep the cool air circulating since a vehicle can heat up in no-time. Plus, isn't it illegal to leave your vehicle unattended while running? Especially for 4 hours?! Which brings me to my next concern; what if the a/c quits working? I'd never take a chance like that with my dogs.

This is why I'm leaving FL. It's too damn hot for my dog. I know there will be days in San Diego that it will be too hot for my dog while I'm working and will need to pay for doggie daycare. But will be a lot less days than here in FL. Anyway, I can't see anyone full timing here in FL with pets. Just too dangerous even with leaving the van running.

When I get on the road, I intend to travel to places where I will be able to get seasonal or temporary work. Since it will be necessary to be away from my vehicle frequently, and for 8 hours or longer, there is no way I would adopt the nomadic lifestyle and bring animals along with me unless I can budget for pet daycare while I am working. I just don't think it's a good idea at all to leave animals in a vehicle for longer than 20-30 minutes or so, at most, and no amount of justifying doing so would sit right with me.

I lived with cats my whole life, and love animals. I think that it's great when nomads can take their pets with them, but I can only see it as humane if the nomad has the animals with them all the time, and doesn't need to leave them for very long, like someone who works online or is retired, staying in campgrounds, or has the ability to get someone to pet-sit for them.