Android help wanted: keep wifi off

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
I've got a couple of freedompop android devices that won't believe me that wifi should be off.  Last month they turned wifi on and downloaded updates that contributed to the overage charges I got on my verizon jetpack.  Is there any way I can convince them that when I turn wifi off that it should stay off?  And updates should only be downloaded when I've approved them and am on a free connection?

(Freedompop is a free carrier that uses sprint's crappy towers -- 3g only in Quartzite/Ehrenburg.)

No idea, but here's their tele # - 1 (888) 743-8107

I think the only thing I was able to do was make them forget the WiFi password so that the phone couldn't connect. Sprints crappy towers might only be 3G at the Q but it's better than TMO's totally overloaded tower.

Which Phone do you actually have? I see Freedompop is on several different manufactures and makes?

Hard to help without knowing that.

I've got an LG G-pad F7.0 and a Kyocera Hydro Icon C6730. Both do this.

Freedompop mostly sells used devices, CDMA on sprint and now has GSM on AT&T. Not all devices and sims support LTE.

blars said:
I've got a couple of freedompop android devices that won't believe me that wifi should be off.  Last month they turned wifi on and downloaded updates that contributed to the overage charges I got on my verizon jetpack.  Is there any way I can convince them that when I turn wifi off that it should stay off?  And updates should only be downloaded when I've approved them and am on a free connection?

(Freedompop is a free carrier that uses sprint's crappy towers -- 3g only in Quartzite/Ehrenburg.)

Under Wifi settings -turn your scanning off or simply -turn airplane mode on.

For me, the only thing I have to do is go to airplane mode and that's it.

My Android is always turning its Wifi on itself, and I find it annoying, but less so now that my phone has a new battery.

But Why does it turn itself on?

I guess the first question to ask is:

WHICH VERSION of Android do you have?  4, 5, 6?

It's possible some of them do it and some of them don't.

Now the question becomes:  Is it a "feature" or a "bug".  (as far as Android is concerned.  we know what YOU think.)

And if you bought it from your cell provider, it's possible it's some kind of bloatware they installed for their own reasons.

I have heard that it is specific apps that are set to do that and can be changed to not do that.

SternWake said:
My Android is always turning its Wifi on itself, and I find it annoying, but less so now that my phone has a new battery.

But Why does it turn itself on?

The Wifi settings are set to "Scan" as a default. This needs to be turned off by you, in wifi settings.

You might also consider checking your location accuracy settings.
Usually by default is high accuracy mode, which will turn on your wifi.

You can check this by going into settings> location.
Just set it to battery saver, or turn off location if you don't need it.

You should be able to set a password on your jetpack.  Then 'forget' about that connection.  That would normally require that you re-enter the password on the phone.   Just don't enter the password on the 'droid...

Power saving mode also keeps the nonessential apps from attempting to check for updates. There is a place undesettings where you can add or remove apps from the essentials list. 

Christa

Latest posts