An unusual place to buy Methanol at $10.67 per gallon.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
are you guys talking pure alcohol or E85?  highdesertranger

E85.

The thread shifted when someone reported $1.85 for "Ethanol", not knowing that the sign meant E85.

"E85" is different from "$1.85". My mommy taught me my basic numbers and how to read before I started first grade.

I just checked with the Chevron station that sells it, and the price has jumped to $2.40. Due to Harvey, I'm thinking.

Getting back to denatured alcohol for stoves.... If it's so dangerous, why do so many boats use it in their marine alcohol stoves?

TrainChaser said:
Getting back to denatured alcohol for stoves....  If it's so dangerous, why do so many boats use it in their marine alcohol stoves?

Perhaps here were no problems after many people used it t.

Apparently, millions of cars run on Methanol.

TrainChaser said:
Getting back to denatured alcohol for stoves....  If it's so dangerous, why do so many boats use it in their marine alcohol stoves?

The product itself is no more dangerous than any other flammable liquid. It's all in the handling and use of it by humans, which as we all know, some can be dangerous in and of themselves.... :D

I use it regularly for backpacking/canoe tripping and when I need another stove burner for large crowd meals.

The only dangerous parts are: the flame doesn't show well in bright daylight so some people forget that it's lit...sigh! Also, some stoves, particularly the beer/soda can ones have no way of putting out the flame, one has to let the fuel burn off. My Trangia stove has a smother cover that 'turns the burner off'. If you spill the lit fuel it will burn the surface that it hits, like picnic tables... :rolleyes:

I have been doing a little research. it seems alcohol is fine outdoors. indoors I would not use methanol and if you are using denatured I would make damn sure what's in it, they put some nasty stuff in some of it. methanol fumes ARE TOXIC. so is contact with your skin. denatured might be toxic and might not depending on the blend. be safe. here's some info,

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/08/alcohol-as-stove-fuel.html

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_services/articles/cookingfuels.php

do your homework and be safe. highdesertranger

Yes, in the US the liquor companies and tax structures result in alcohol-as-fuel to be made poisonous by adding **small quantities** of methanol etc.

This is "denatured", and not as toxic as pure methanol.

Backpackers heating up pre-cooked meals with small quantities of fuel don't need to be as careful as travelers in tight living spaces actually cooking daily from scratch.

but if you read the two articles I posted denatured can mean almost anything. some are a majority methanol, some use MEK or acetone or other nasty's to make them poisonous. highdesertranger

That is why I would only use alcohol labeled as "stove fuel". Lots of stuff burns. There are some really dangerous liquid solvents available for specific purposes.

Any fuel will have exhaust.  Even "natural" fuels like twigs and dung have exhaust.  

Does anyone use any fuel other than charcoal, propane, or specific woods selected for flavor to cook meat?  I mean meat cooked directly over the fire, exposed to the smoke.  Specific to the topic of this thread, does anyone cook meat over methanol?

no, also soft woods like pine and aspen give meat a terrible flavor. highdesertranger

Millions of people use all kinds of nasty stuff to help start their commercial charcoal, which itself has proven to have nasty stuff in it.

You think most people would be alarmed to find some pressure-treated wood in their supply?

Developing nations, lots of people burn plastics in their yard and inhale the fumes, and yes some use it forcooking fuel.

"Anyone" covers a lot of ground, and yes I'm sure even well educated hikers have cooked their hot dogs over Heet in a coke can.

Now let's talk about the poisons on hot dogs and Coke. :cool:

All the liquids used for fuel (not sure about drinkable ethanol) will have a Material Safety Data Sheet from its manufacturer detailing what is in it and at what percent.  It will also tell you its hazards and toxicity.  Pick your fuel, read the MSDS, and decide for yourself if you want to breathe the fumes.

-- Spiff

Worth remembering, these chemicals can have, but do not always have an instant health effect. What effects does the backpacker's methanol have later in life?

Zil said:
Worth remembering, these chemicals can have, but do not always have an instant health effect. What effects does the backpacker's methanol have later in life?

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Coffee[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] containing [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]caffeine[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects. Consuming large amounts of [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]coffee[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] might also cause headache, anxiety, agitation, ringing in the ears, and irregular heartbeats.[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Diesel hazard:[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=11[/font]

"Long-term exposure to diesel exhaust can cause chronic respiratory symptoms such as persistent cough and mucous, bronchitis, and reduced lung capacity. Long-term exposure to diesel fuel vapors can cause kidney damage and lower the blood’s ability to clot. Swallowing diesel oil can cause collapse, rapid low blood pressure, and loss of vision. "

This list can go on and on.

There is a clear connection to cancer from prolonged exposure to many petrochemical derivatives like gasoline.

Highly recommend y'all watch the Australian film "Bliss", great dark comedy take on the inhumanity of mainstream modern society.

John61CT said:
There is a clear connection to cancer from prolonged exposure to many petrochemical derivatives like gasoline.

Highly recommend y'all watch the Australian film "Bliss", great dark comedy take on the inhumanity of mainstream modern society.

It would be informative to see life expectancy and cancer data of the people who worked in the petroleum industries.

Okay, guys, I've got it!

EVERCLEAR VODKA! $40 FOR 1.75 liter (a little less than a quart). No methanol!

SOUTHERN COMFORT is a little cheaper at $35 for the same amount.

Zil said:
Are we comparing coffee jitters to methanol liver damage?

"[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Consuming large amounts of [/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]coffee[/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] might also cause headache, anxiety, agitation, ringing in the ears, and irregular heartbeats."[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Irregular heartbeats can kill some people.[/font]
[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]My point is that there are side effects in many foods, including drinking too much water.[/font][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/drinking-much-water-killed-14-5976264[/font][/font][/size][/font]