Amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?  I would love to hear some people during my travels.

KI7LIK

KJ1H right here! From what I’ve read in other posts there’s quite a few hams on here.

Full time RVer , ham radio and in MN winters ;)

John
KD0CAC

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 10
Just worked a FoxSat, AO-91. It flew right over us. 

It's an FM repeater on a new ham satellite recently put in orbit.

Those hams in remote areas (no urban jungle in the way) with a 50w mobile and a decent mobile antenna can work this one!

145.960 downlink. (set your receiver to this freq) 

435.250 uplink, with a 67hz tone.

Here is the tracking page:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=43015 

And here is the detailed RF info to correct for doppler shift on transmit:

AO-91-freq.JPG

It's moving at around 4.6 miles per second, but its about 400-600 miles up so it has about a 1000 mile footprint as it passes over you.

Good luck!

Attachments

• AO-91-freq.JPG
    AO-91-freq.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
Since I've not worked a satellite before, what constitutes a decent mobile antenna?  A 5/8 whip would do it or no?

Peterson

Yep! Some hams have worked this one with a 5w handheld and portable yagi.

Of course a yagi or quad does work better, but most of us don't carry a dual band portable or azi-ele CP yagi with us on the road, other than for special events. 

But yes, if you can hear it, when it passes over within say 300 miles of you, then you can work it. Comms are very quick and very short! Over the last 2 weeks, I have even heard it twice via tropo when it was out over the Atlantic...

If it passes directly over you, with that type of antenna, it will probably fade out, but give it a half minute or so, and it will be back in your antenna's gain pattern. 

If you have a dual band, dual receive mobile, program one memory on VHF for the receive, and just keep listening or scanning. 

Program the uplinks on the UHF side in at least one or two memories and then you will be ready to go.

IF you hear it, use high power, and throw your callsign out a few times. If you can operate full duplex, you will hear your voice thru the repeater. 

If you hear your voice, others will also.

Good luck!

Neat! Back in the day I contacted the Mir space station with my regular base station, 45 watts and an omnidirectional vertical antenna. I can hear the ISS on a handheld radio easily. Now I may have to go try AO-91 from the car!

White+Nerdy said:
Neat! Back in the day I contacted the Mir space station with my regular base station, 45 watts and an omnidirectional vertical antenna. I can hear the ISS on a handheld radio easily. Now I may have to go try AO-91 from the car!

Cool!

I have made exactly seven space contacts with astronauts. A few of those contacts, I was able to record, and at least one that I know of was recorded by someone in Nebraska, and the audio file was on their website for awhile.

Seven might sound like quite a few but that's only 7 contacts in 31 years of being a ham. 

So it's not that many. 

But I have made numerous ground to ground contacts thru ARISS and other orbiting systems over the years....too many to count. 

For me it's an interesting 'extra', since I have not spent any time or money to set up a station dedicated to satellite work.

http://www.ariss.org/

You hams out in Arizona, and Nevada, you have an overhead pass coming up!

AO-91 will pass directly over Western Arizona TODAY at about 13:30 local time, 12:30 Pacific time. My map shows 14:30, that's my time zone, Central.

Listen on 145.96!

pass.JPG

Attachments

• pass.JPG
    pass.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
arizonatruck said:
How many here are ham radio or other radio operators?  I would love to hear some people during my travels.

KI7LIK

AA0AE here. plan on being at RTR, then Quartzfest afterwards.

KM6OVE here, longtime forum lurker, just joined and I plan to catch the end of RTR :)

I've been licensed for almost 9 years...but I honestly can't even tell you the last time I turned on one of my radios for actual HAM use. I have an Icom 706 in the Samurai that gets used on 11 meters on trail runs, and that's about it. Yeah yeah...illegal use, couldn't care less than the FCC does about illegal 11 meter operation, lol. I couldn't find a legit 11 meter radio with a factory remote head unit mount, I didn't want a rebanded (poorly) export 10 meter radio, there's no room up front to mount the typical Cobra behemoth, and I've never been all that happy with the performance of the mini radios.

I'm kind of disappointed in the whole experience, really. I'm sure a good chunk of it falls on me, though. I don't have any friends into the ham stuff, 99% of the time I'm the only one on 4x4 runs with ham capability, local VHF/UHF activity is comprised of the typical old folk's nets about what they ate for breakfast and how the weather varies two degrees from one city to the next (not that there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't interest me), and from what I've heard on HF, it's either people trying to cram as many contacts as possible into a short period of time, the same old folk's nets just on a wider geographic scale, or the CB'ers with more money on 40/80 meters on those two frequencies (though I suppose better that they stick to those two frequencies than to spatter all over those bands plus surrounding ones with their "peaked and tuned" radios). Meanwhile, I get chastised by the group as a whole for not being a "real" ham whose ruining the hobby because I got my license post code requirement and because I'm not operating on HF collecting contacts.

I tried joining a local club last year, which only resulted in guilt trips because I'm not pilfering my company's radio stock for the club's benefit, once they learned that I run the radio shop here.

Unfortunately that's an oft-repeated complaint. 

I've been there, done that.

Maybe at some point you will be able to connect with a better class of operators...but also, the hobby is kinda what you make of it. 

I've been licensed for 31 years and yeah, there have been some ups and downs, and there are some real pricks out there with a ham license. But MOST of us are not that way. 

I have fun with the hobby, and tend to ignore the jerks. 

In some ways, hams operate on the fringe, kinda like vandwellers, so not everyone 'gets' us or what we do. 

You might look into the ROIP modes, like Echolink or D-Star. You will tend to find a more open, and younger, type of ham on the digital voice modes. 

Anyway, good luck and 73!

arizonatruck said:

KI7LIK

W4BCT here.  This makes me want to get on-the-air again.

I plan to give the hobby another go; I'd only been on once since getting licensed. The other day I met a radio amateur that gave me enough information and encouragement to get me back into it.

HI
I was a little active years ago, but most of the discussion was not very interesting.
Talking about this potential new lifestyle and the RTR thing will be fun.
This communication method also works when nothing else will, but someone has to be listening.
Cheers
Bowlmaker