amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About Morse code
The code requirement was WORK and took practice over time.
When one had to work at anything, what ever it was gave value to the endeavor. FREE things have no value. So the removal of the code requirement demished the the value of the ham radio license.
In addition, Other aspects of the licensing requirements were relegated to "volunteers", rather than the FCC it's self. Unpaid volunteers had no incentive to require excellence, only numbers of licenses granted. Work ethic was not required. Free was advertised with friends and neighbors. Free equals no value.
Amplitude Modulation has been proven over time to be poor use of spectrum available, Single Side Band was found to be better use of spectrum but still AM at half the band width. Double side band amplitude modulation resulted in better fidelity but again used more spectrum.
Frequency modulation allowed for better fidelity but still used more spectrum.
Am transmitters are cheaper to build as are receivers but require more wattage.
All of the above are old technology. Newer digital equipment and solid state encoders and decoders allow for one on one communication without the need for modulation at all.
Bringing us back to Morse code which was a two bit code.
Just carrier on and off pulses. Instead of short and long bits, 5 bit code was introduced which allowed for teletype and mechanical sending and receiving of text messages, still later 8 bit code was introduced and further 16 bit and onward to 32, 64 and 128 bit code and so on. Still code but far beyond the ability of the human ear and brain to decode.
So- the bottom line is this, Lets keep all of the older knowledge and skills. When a solar flare renders our sat coms un-usable The old stuff will still work. In the mean time, back yard tinkers with find "the hobby" fulfilling and a source of personal pride and in a pinch, an asset to our whole nation and the world. It may never come and maybe tonight.
Agree about the morse code requirement going away.

I have often thought if the FCC brought back the old Novice license along with the code requirement it would ignite a spark in some of the younger generation. Too many of us old guys now and not many young people.

Got my license in 1962 KN3RHB and let it expire. Got back into ham radio a couple years ago and use it for fun while camping (KI6Y). Great hobby.

I remember going through Novice, Tech, General and stopped at Advanced. General was done in front of FCC in San Fran many years ago, and then Advanced in front of FCC in Detroit. (We moved a lot back then).

So interesting to see the talk of Ham Radio. My Dad was a ham since I was 2 months old, so I grew up with hamming. Holding a pole on a coke bottle in a holder (bottle was insulation), and then guy wired out to 4 corners of a chain link fence. And it was perfect antenna weather, misty, cold yucky. And Dad ran it with a JohnsonKW Matchbox to tune to different bands.

Many of my friends, when I was growing up, became HAM's. They went on to electronics trades schools and got good jobs as engineers at Radio & TV Stations and were always inviting me to field days where they were showing me the stuff they picked up in Dayton Ohio at the annual HAM fest there. Somehow I got the bug for Short Wave listening when one of them showed me a receiver he had picked up and I listened to the thing all night at one of the field days. The broadcast reminded me of NPR and I was amazed by it and what I could learn from it while they talked with all the other people of the world about their rigs, antenna's etc. (and engaged in trading QSL cards) Somehow Short Wave listening was more intriguing for me HAM. To each his own I guess.

For a few bucks anyone can pick up a simple receiver (analog or digital tuned) and begin to learn to use it. You can of course use the Internet and many of the sites that provide virtual SW Receivers. But for a few bucks you can pick up one of these.

51oJzhLwGRL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Short Wave programming usually comes alive in the later evening and in the late night on into the mid morning.

A young woman from my home town has written this book for beginners. She's quite a writer. Public Libraries often have books which will help a newbie get started in this. I've always seen Short Wave as another dimension of Amateur Radio.

Short Wave Listening for Beginners Anita Louise McCormick

Last edited:
One of my favorite shortwave stations to listen to in the evening is WTWW. You can find them on 5085 khz, usually from around 8 pm central to around 11 pm central.

Tour: https://wtww.us/pages/transmitter-site-tour.php

They play a variety of music...and sometimes ham radio topics are talked about.

They can also be streamed on the internet here:

https://wtww.us/pages/listen-live.php
TX2 (no affiliation!) is the main 5085 audio stream.

Last edited:
Thanks, and I'll check them out. I have an aux dipole antenna reel I'll set up and comb the band for them.

My go to's include:

Radio Canada International

BBC World Service

Deutsche Welle (Germany)

Radio Australia

VoA Voice of America

Radio Cuba (great music)

Radio Japan jenn air

Those I remember fondly

Radio Netherlands

Radio Swiss Radio International

Short Wave radio has been in decline since 1989 and the publisher of "Passport to World Band Radio" ceased in 2009. It was still going strong in the mid 90's when the internet arrived. But at one time SW was the best source of breaking news from around the world. The news reporting was some of the best. with top grade journalist. One only has to listen in for awhile to realize the professional quality.

out of curiosity, would this actually work to get overseas (i assume it is) broadcasts, such as wtww? with that bitty antenna on it? i've never been able to get anything off the non fm bands... i just use the little telescoping antenna to get my local station.

Attachments

• DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I had a radio similar to that one years ago...if it's like the one I had, it will have a couple of wire clips on the back, one for ground (not really needed) and one that is made for a wire antenna.

If it has those clips (take a picture of the back if you are not sure) you should be able to pull in some shortwave stations, especially at night, with a piece of wire, around 15 or 20 feet long if you can hang the end up on a tree or post or anything handy.

Lots of nighttime shortwave stations can be found from about 4 mhz to around 10 mhz.

They also have POTA, Parks On The Air. It’s free. HF setups in State, National, International Parks. Cool to listen and chat with campers from all over. 2M is becoming really popular with the 4x4 Overlanding Crew. We monitor 146.520 and 146.460 simplex while traveling and camping. 2 HTs for hiking and communications with base camp. HF unit for world wide coms. Fun hobby.

Attachments

• A4D23746-6963-434A-A802-EBF5186BEEFA.jpeg
    A4D23746-6963-434A-A802-EBF5186BEEFA.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 0
Yes, I'd like to see a real good close up photo of the dials and how they are labeled.

As a young teen I was given a larger AM/FM/SW radio at Christmas. I never could pick up much in the Short Wave with it. It had two lines with roughly 7 or 8 of the SW bands all laid out on them. Just a study in frustration. Much later a friend loaned me his Grundig radio schedule handbook to copy. It showed the frequencies various nations broadcast on, the times, and English language broadcast.

By that time I had a receiver that would work with that schedule much better.

What I started with looked like this. A 60's radio like everyone took to the pool or beach. I wouldn't recommend one of these for SW listening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284525510471