amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterborne

Reaction score
I've had many hobbies over the years. I've been a lifelong canoeist from way before it became fashionable. Got a pilots license in the 90's. etc, etc.

The one that traveling keeps bringing back is amateur radio. Once the equipment is acquired, it only costs amperage.

For me, buying, selling, and trading "the equipment" is a large part of the enjoyment of the hobby. There are so many varied interest areas in Amateur Radio it would take more than a lifetime to explore them all.

A wonderful hobby which will improve your brain and expose you to meeting lots of great folks!

Just my opinion . . .

Hams sure are helpful in times of disaster!

My father was a ham for 57 years. I just looked up his call number, and they've reassigned it to someone else, W6BMT.

I haven't been active for 15 years, but I expect radio to be a major pastime when start traveling in September. Mostly HF.
KM5K
George

I was inactive for quite a few years until someone told me about Summits on the Air (SOTA), a worldwide program portable ham radio operations from mountain summits. I was already an avid hiker and the SOTA program rekindled my love of ham radio. My radio equipment provides me with countless hours of enjoyment whether I'm hiking or at home.

Paul K9PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been inactive, course I have an old technician's license. Never could get past the code for General, and even though you don't need that anymore, I just lost interest, plus the solar activity has made it hard the last few years.  I'd not want a 10 or 20 meter antenna and try to be stealthy. If I were to do anything it would be 2 meter portable.

My son is an amateur extra but he doesn't do anything anymore either.

Hope the hobby doesn't die off, or the bandwidth get stolen/repurposed for more garage door openers and home appliances.

A high percentage of Amateurs move in to and out of the hobby during their lifetimes; this is not at all unusual. A word of caution . . . always renew you Amateur Radio license when it is due, whether you are active or not, or whether you think you will ever use it again.

I was first licensed in 1986; and was active in the hobby till 1999. I dropped out and commented to my wife about not renewing my license. She said just go ahead and do it anyhow. Boy, am I glad I did! In 2009 I became active again, and as I get older, I'm sure Amateur Radio will play a huge role in my enjoyable pursuits till I finally go QRT.

If you renew your license, it will be there in the future if you ever need it!

Just my opinion . . .

GypsyHeart said:
I was inactive for quite a few years until someone told me about Summits on the Air (SOTA), a worldwide program portable ham radio operations from mountain summits. I was already an avid hiker and the SOTA program rekindled my love of ham radio. My radio equipment provides me with countless hours of enjoyment whether I'm hiking or at home.

Paul K9PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like fun, Paul.
de KM5K George, TX

I was inactive from 1963-2015. Let life get in the way, now retired and got tech in 2016 now general love it! Just wish I had kept up with it. All the digital makes my head swim!!!

speedhighway46 said:
,,,If you renew your license, it will be there in the future if you ever need it!...

Now that is a *very valuable* bit of advice.  I won't forget it.  Thanks!
shy.gif
Charlotte

"Lady Ada" (adafruit) let her ham license expire, then years later took all the exams and got an extra in one sitting. Videos on youtube.

My dad was a ham for many years (1947-2017) . I'm in the process of selling off his gear, mostly tubes so far. (50 sold, 10000 to go.) I'll probably keep the nice VHF handi-talky. Unfortunately, much isn't worth shipping and there is little local demand.

Hey guys new I here, I was thinking of getting a trucker radio as a hobby, I thought it would be cool to talk to other ppl and get in on the road community, I was just wondering what else you use it for? What's this about a license? And am i right that this is the same radio that you put in the car that's like $30 on amazon?

1956 K2PTT K-Knife P-Pneumonia Figure 2 T-tomato T-Tomato

Later W3GSQ God Save the Queen

sounds like you are talking about a Citizen Band(CB) radio. no license necessary. but your conversations are going to be limited. CB's have a relatively short range, they have kinda fell out of favor, some truckers still use them. I have one in my truck but hardly use it anymore because no one has another. on the other hand Amateur Radio(Hams) has a much longer range especially when you use repeaters. lots of other hams to talk to. however you do need a license, radios are more then 30 bucks. BTW I have a Ham radio too. many rural counties I travel in don't have good cell coverage but most of the Sheriff Departments in these counties monitor the emergency frequencies on the Ham bands. this was a big plus for me. highdesertranger

I tried to install my BITX40 in my van, but the solar charge controller makes too much noise. It is a buzzing sound as long as there is light.

skyl4rk said:
I tried to install my BITX40 in my van, but the solar charge controller makes too much noise.  It is a buzzing sound as long as there is light.

This was my concern on the Victron. It does make some wideband noise on HF/VHF but only within a few feet of the controller and the cabling to the panels. Five to 10 feet away it is undetectable.

You could either try some toroids and/or snap-on chokes on the panel leads, or if its feasable for you, you can buy certain models of charge controllers that are tel-com rated. I know that Morningstar makes them, others may also, but I haven't looked.

waterborne said:
I've had many hobbies over the years. I've been a lifelong canoeist from way before it became fashionable. Got a pilots license in the 90's. etc, etc.

The one that traveling keeps bringing back is amateur radio. Once the equipment is acquired, it only costs amperage.
I'll  be coming out in Dec and I'll be listening in. I'm KC5ZQG. I normally use 146.52 simplex while traveling.