Am I being unrealistic?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an idea today - there are tons of those electric car charging stations popping up. Could there be a way to use these to charge a battery bank? Kansas City Power and Light has something called the clean charge network that is free for two years. Not sure how it works.

gkb2016 said:
Had an idea today - there are tons of those electric car charging stations popping up. Could there be a way to use these to charge a battery bank? Kansas City Power and Light has something called the clean charge network that is free for two years. Not sure how it works.

I think the short and long answer would be no.   I am guessing they are pretty high voltage, so you would need something to transform the voltage to the level of your battery bank 12V or 24?   I sort of remember the multi kilowatt car batteries being much higher.

Aside from that, there are regulations and the fact that lead acid takes a long time in absorption and float to reach 100%.

But if you somehow happen to have a spare Tesla Model S lying around, you could rip out the battery and controller and wire that into your van somehow.