altitude

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary68

Reaction score
i'm a valley guy and havent been over 2000 feet for i dont know how long and i'm right there at old so how does the altitude effect you physically and at what heights?

well if you are planning any high altitude adventures and haven't been above 2k in a long time. you would want to go to around 5k and spend a couple of days. then go to between 7 and 8k for a couple of more days then you should be good for 10k. now mind you I am not a doctor and don't know your health or habits. if you have breathing issues or smoke the times might increase, on the other hand if you are in your 20s or younger and are in great shape, you can probably disregard this advice. if you go to a higher elevation and experience shortness of breath, headaches, dementia, or any thing out of the ordinary return to a lower elevation immediately. highdesertranger

I'm 69. About 5 years ago I put my Yamaha XP-225 in the back of the pickup and drove out to Silverton, Colorada, elevation 9500'. I met up with 8 fellow XP-225 owners and we road the high passes for a week. They went up to 13,000 feet. The continental divide crosses back and forth over the mountains there.

The only problem I noticed when I first got there and was unloading the pickup and putting stuff in the camper cabin was shortness of breath. I would have to stop at two loads, sit down and recover. But I acclimated in one day.

Riding my dirt bike requires a little strenuous activity, so I'm sure that contributed to my getting acclimated quickly. On particularly strenuous sections I did notice a little shortness of breath. But not much, a couple of moments put me back to normal. No lightheadiness, just a little shortness of breath.

One couple complained, cut their week short and went down to lower elevations. Younger than me by 10 years or so I think. So it depends on you mostly. Try it and see.

The next week we drove up to Moab, Utah in the desert at lower elevations and met with other XP-225 owners to ride the desert. I prefer Colorada much less dust.

Anyway for me, with a desk job back home, at 64 YO, I acclimated rather quickly.

How do you know if you are experiencing dementia?

A) You won't cause' you aren't aware of it
B) You don't make much sense to others
C) Your name is Dusty

At 60 and overweight by 2x, I have to stop more often and take more breaks when over about 5000'. On this trip, I noticed up in Leadville, Co (10,400) that I had more difficulty walking around looking at the mining equipment displays and old Main Street buildings. As soon as drove down the hill towards Frisco, at about 7000 ish feet, things were better. Now in Utah at maybe 1,000 all is well. My permanent dementia is still here tho'.

Dusty

Gary68 said:
i'm a valley guy and havent been over 2000 feet for i dont know how long and i'm right there at old so how does the altitude effect you physically and at what heights?

At our age, the higher you climb, the harder it is to catch your breath.   ;)

It is not the elevation, it is the humidity.

ccbreder said:
How do I know when I'm experiencing dementia?

when you do something stupid and you think to yourself, why did I do that. hopefully you can still realize that you did something stupid. in the wiki article they really didn't mention dementia. so like I said I am not a doctor. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
when you do something stupid and you think to yourself,  why did I do that.  hopefully you can still realize that you did something stupid.  in the wiki article they really didn't mention dementia.  so like I said I am not a doctor.  highdesertranger

I have had it all my life.  It is a good thing my knees are not double jointed.  I would have footprints from kicking myself.

if it's dementia then i'm to high right now or not high enough or something of the sort

talked to a friend who just got back from the denver area and he said he didnt feel good the whole time there and being on the road you can go from 0 to 10000 pretty quick to i thought i would ask,thanks guys