Alpicool C20 inside dimensions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Harbor Freight used to sell a 900 watt, 2-stroke generator for about $110 but they don't seem to be available at the moment. Cheap but not a very good choice as they are noisy, smelly and you have to mix oil with the gas. Their next cheapest generator is a 1400 watt for $419. Check Home Depot for other choices. You would also need to buy a decent smart charger which would be another $60 or so.

JDub,

All the suitcase panels I've looked at come with charge controllers attached. And usually two USB outlets.

Trying to avoid batteries, because they harm the environment. I thought maybe a small power station (if it worked) would be a compromise. Also avoiding doing the math regarding powering the frig, because I hate math. Do I have to learn this stuff? :D

A suitcase like this has the charge contoller and two usb outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VN68ZBV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1
This one is $139.00:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G19F4MM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?
Lead acid batteries are close to being 100% recycled.

Trying to avoid batteries, because they harm the environment. I thought maybe a small power station (if it worked) would be a compromise. Also avoiding doing the math regarding powering the frig, because I hate math. Do I have to learn this stuff? :D
You can either follow a step-by-step tutorial you trust and take your chances, or you need to learn to do the math to make sure your food won't spoil :)

It's not much or complicated math really... Not once you learn what the terms specifically relating to power systems refer to at least.

What is the least expensive generator that would work?
I think this would be one of the least efficient methods of running a refrigerator... You would have to run the generator constantly to have power, losing power both from the unused power made by running the generator (fridge will not use anywhere near the power the generator outputs even in low power mode) and you will lose efficiency by running the generator through the battery charger to convert the output to 12v...

You could get a generator for $500 but no guarantee on the quality. I think the best system you could do would be the portable power station and a solar panel kit. The manufacturing process of batteries may be bad for the environment but I think that constantly running a generator would be even worse.

What is the least expensive generator that would work?

That would depend on the size of the battery bank, how depleted the bank is, and the size of the charger necessary to fully charge that bank in a reasonable time frame.

I can tell you that a 2000W generator won't support a 100A charger trying to charge a severely depleted pair of group 29 Lead Acid batteries.

Re: Posts #26 and #28:

She's just referring to charging a Jackery 240.

That is the frig I want to buy. Been wanting to ask if the small Jackery (240) can power it. I found one YT vid where the guy says it works.
Jackery 240 can definitely power an Alpicool C20. I am powering one with a similar Rockpals 300.

Depending on ambient temperature, I have had the Rockpals 300 power it on Eco mode at 40 degrees for between 1 and 3 days. Very hot days (85-90f) will be closer to 1 day, cool days (45-55f) will be closer to 3 days.

FYI: I believe the jackery numbers, 240-500-1000 are references to the Watt-hours, not Watts. For example, If the cooler averages 24 Watts per hour the 240 jackery would only run it:. 240 Watts hours ÷ 24 Watts = 10 hours run time. I do not know what the cooler will draw because ambient temperature, opening and closing, and set temperature all have an effect on how much energy it uses.
I have the Alpicool CF 45 and did some solar powered experiments with them but cannot find my information. Sorry.

How are you charging the Rockpals?
Pt
How are you charging the Rockpals?
The Rockpals (and the Jackery, and almost every other make) can be recharged using solar panels, car cigarette lighter, or household socket. It comes with all three. If you have sun and will be stationary, Solar works fine, while driving, the cigarette lighter works fine, if you stop to visit family/friends, the household socket works fine.

Pt

The Rockpals (and the Jackery, and almost every other make) can be recharged using solar panels, car cigarette lighter, or household socket.
Yes,I was aware of how they can be charged but I was just curious about your situation. Which method do you use most?

Pt

The Rockpals (and the Jackery, and almost every other make) can be recharged using solar panels, car cigarette lighter, or household socket. It comes with all three. If you have sun and will be stationary, Solar works fine, while driving, the cigarette lighter works fine, if you stop to visit family/friends, the household socket works fine.
I tried charging my jump starter with the cigarette lighter and it was so slow I thought it wasn't working at all. But recently I read that cigarette lighters are super slow for charging. This is the jump starter I tried charging:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ssor/ss02/55003?q=battery+jump+starters&pos=1

Be careful to not deplete the jump starter too far before charging.

A jump starter momentarily supplies a massive amount of cranking power.

A power supply supplies its energy over a longer period of time.

Same deal with starter batteries versus deep cycle batteries.

The link only shows the instantaneous amps, 1,000 amps, nothing about capacity over time in Amp Hours (AH). Same deal as starter batteries that only show Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) without mentioning AH.