All-terrain wheelchairs for free or to rent at state parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^There is a company making a 4 wheel recumbent electric bicycle that works pretty well for people with disabilities as well.

^^^There is a company making a 4 wheel recumbent electric bicycle that works pretty well for people with disabilities as well.
EBikes are great as are recumbent bikes

But there is an issue with recumbent bikes for people with some disabilities and that is for getting off and on them. It is not just about the ability to power the pedals. Getting off and on a low to the ground recumbent is hard to do for people with bad backs or bad knees, weak leg muscles, etc. Also it is dangerous to get off and on them for a person with balance issues. If you can’t stand up from a seated position on the ground or a very low stool it will be a struggle to get off and on a recumbent bike no matter how many wheels it has or even if it does have a motor.

Last edited:
I get lots of dirty looks when I zip around on those electric carts at Walmart...
I suppose that they are zippy compared to how fast a snail travels 🐌

I think it is great if they are going to furnish off-road motorized wheel chairs in National parks and elsewhere. Getting out and about is so important when a person has limits to physical mobility.

EBikes are great as are recumbent bikes

But there is an issue with recumbent bikes for people with some disabilities and that is for getting off and on them. It is not just about the ability to power the pedals. Getting off and on a low to the ground recumbent is hard to do for people with bad backs or bad knees, weak leg muscles, etc. Also it is dangerous to get off and on them for a person with balance issues. If you can’t stand up from a seated position on the ground or a very low stool it will be a struggle to get off and on a recumbent bike no matter how many wheels it has or even if it does have a motor.
When I first developed a physical disabillity in the '90s, I got a recumbent bicycle. I now ride a recumbent quadricycle. And I was just test riding a recumbent tricycle this past week. Something folks forget about recumbents is that there is a LOT more variety in frame geometries and heights than there is among upright bikes. So there is something for almost everyone (who's capable of cycling at all).

There are taller recumbent trikes and bikes. And my quad is 18" off the ground, which is the height you'd sit on many chairs (the handlebars are upright so they're used as support to lower down if you need it). There have been some real improvements in the mainstream manufacturers' trike designs as well. Many either come standard with supports to lower down into the seat or the supports are available after-market for earlier models you want to apply them to.

Not every disabled person is able to cycle. But a lot more disabled people are able to cycle with the right choice of cycle than many think. Now we just have to ensure that cycle infrastructure like cycle lanes, paths, parking racks, car racks, public transit racks are all accessible as well. The availability of accessible rentals (whether that's CityBike, Spin or whether it's a beach cycle rental) matters as well.

The availability of all-terrain wheelchairs is great and I really hope folks will leave them available for folks who depend on wheelchairs to get around/enjoy the outdoors. Beach wheelchairs are starting to make an appearance for check-out or rental at some beaches on various US coasts as well. I really hope that trend spreads.

When I first developed a physical disabillity in the '90s, I got a recumbent bicycle. I now ride a recumbent quadricycle. And I was just test riding a recumbent tricycle this past week. Something folks forget about recumbents is that there is a LOT more variety in frame geometries and heights than there is among upright bikes. So there is something for almost everyone (who's capable of cycling at all). <snip>
I've been seeing some affordable (under $200) recumbent bikes on FB Marketplace lately, but so far all are super close to the ground.

My doctor wants me to bring my bike along while I travel. I need to lose weight, but can't walk very far (need total knee replacement). He thinks I'll be able to ride, so that is the plan.... my old Schwinn Link but with an extra large padded seat for my generous derriere.

My link (when it was new):

Attachments

• link.PNG
    link.PNG
    403.9 KB · Views: 0
I've been seeing some affordable (under $200) recumbent bikes on FB Marketplace lately, but so far all are super close to the ground.

My doctor wants me to bring my bike along while I travel. I need to lose weight, but can't walk very far (need total knee replacement). He thinks I'll be able to ride, so that is the plan.... my old Schwinn Link but with an extra large padded seat for my generous derriere.

My link (when it was new):
Try Craig's List as well. I keep my eye on things for months in different locations when I'm wanting to find something (like I'm currently praying for an affordable full-size van). Sometimes you find something that's a real deal. I found a Haluzak Horizon on CL San Diego right now that is going for less than 1/10th what it cost new (it's under $200) and it is in very fine shape. I don't need it, so I've passed the ad on to others. I personally own a Haluzak Horizon with underseat steering (USS works for my disabilities). I love it, but I know that won't be the perfect bike for others. It's height is the same as what I'd be if I were in a vintage Toyota Corolla so if drivers "don't see" me, it's because they're dangerous to everyone on the road no matter what we do.

When I first got my Horizon in the mid-'90s, I put a flag on it but eventually took it off because I found that what made people see me was just other people staring at me. Recumbents weren't as known then so a driver would see a pedestrian staring at me then follow their gaze to see what they were looking at.

I do use a flag on the quadricycle, though. Not because it's low but because trucks keep being made deadlier and with worse sightlines over their hoods.

Your doc has a good idea. Many disabled folks find it easier to ride than walk (I now do). And if you've got an upright, that will make it easier to take on a car rack and to fit into infrastructure that is still not made for as many different kinds of cycle frames as it should be. I hope you have a good time riding!

Those things are relatively dangerous, and inconvenient to haul around. Stick to a regular bike...

If you ride in the dirt, a bike with fatter tires might help.

Try Craig's List as well. I keep my eye on things for months in different locations when I'm wanting to find something (like I'm currently praying for an affordable full-size van). Sometimes you find something that's a real deal. I found a Haluzak Horizon on CL San Diego right now that is going for less than 1/10th what it cost new (it's under $200) and it is in very fine shape....
I didn't know what a recumbent bike was until 10 or so years ago when I learned about velomobiles. Have you ever ridden a velomobile? I think that is a brand name. I love them.

https://grist.org/living/this-pedal-powered-wienermobile-puts-the-joy-in-your-morning-commute/
https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...-riding-his-bike-affected-by-poor-air-quality
A hybrid: https://grist.org/living/this-velomobile-is-basically-an-electric-car-without-the-hassle/

I didn't know what a recumbent bike was until 10 or so years ago when I learned about velomobiles. Have you ever ridden a velomobile? I think that is a brand name. I love them.

https://grist.org/living/this-pedal-powered-wienermobile-puts-the-joy-in-your-morning-commute/
https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...-riding-his-bike-affected-by-poor-air-quality
A hybrid: https://grist.org/living/this-velomobile-is-basically-an-electric-car-without-the-hassle/
Someone might have taken it as a brand name but it started as a generic term, just referring to a low slung recumbent in a fully-enclosed fiberglass fairing. Unfortunately I have gained too much weight to fit in the ones I've seen, although someone let me try the last time Recumbent Cycle Con was held on the West Coast.

Just to dispel some stereotypes:

Recumbents are not intrinsically more dangerous than uprights. In fact, they can be less dangerous than uprights because if you ever were to fall, you don't have as far to fall. Whereas one of the most common falls on uprights is flying over the handlebars from a crash or sudden stop and hitting your head.

If you don't own a mini/van or truck,it's true you may have to get a different kind of rack to carry most recumbent designs (not all...some can work with an old school car rack.) Some recumbents are folders as well, which can make it easier to fit in even a hatchback.

There are "dirt" recumbents. My quadricycle is capable of off-road, has fat tires and the rear wheels have differential. I was just looking at a review for a fat tire e-assist trike with full suspension that can also do gravel and off-road. They're not under $200, though.

If you can ride an upright without pain, by all means get an upright. There are more of them around used and greater economies of scale for manufacturers so prices can be lower. I just wanted to speak back to stereotypes about recumbents and let folks who can't ride an upright know that they might still be able to cycle with the right frame design of recumbent. And there's a lot of variety out there compared to when I was first looking in the '90s.

It's the main way I get around, get my groceries, go out into the field to check stuff, get exercise. I drive my car as little as possible.