Ahhh The Pleasure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
As I sit here in my camper on the west side of Leadville, I am serenaded by a jackass with an open frame generator running.
Don't you love it when you find a perfect little camp spot that is quiet. Then you start unfolding everything like you do. All setup, great!
Then along comes an idiot with all the toys, a dozen kids, huge boat, multiple cars and nonchalantly fires up an OPEN FRAME generator. 
Nobody else matters just him.
Oh well I guess it looks like I am moving tomorrow.
Incidentally if anybody else would like to say hello I would like that very much. I have already said good morning to my neighbor and she just ignored me. Ok, leave that alone. Absolutely everyone here seems to be pointedly avoiding contact with everyone else. I find that strange.
Anyway glad I got that out my system. Let me know if you fancy a chat.

Hate to tell you but all the huge boats are on Lake Powell. He is probably headed this way, 107 degrees today!

bullfrog said:
Hate to tell you but all the huge boats are on Lake Powell. He is probably headed this way, 107 degrees today!
That is a long way away. No, Bullfrog I think he is probably going to put it in Turquoise Lake. They only arrived this morning. 
It is one of those great big, gigantic speed boats. 
Tonight I am actually going to have to wear earplugs. I can't believe it. It is hard to believe that anybody could be that crass.
My Champion is almost silent. The price of modern inverter gens is so cheap I can't believe that somebody who has spent that amount of dough on a such a boat would cheap on the genset.
Incidentally I gave up on my Honda, I dumped in my storage bay. The Champion is very reliable although a tad weaker than the Honda. Good buy that was.

That is a beauty!! Propane might burn cleaner. Also sometimes the price of fuel goes thru the roof. Propane seems steadier. That is only $30 more than my black one. That is very tempting as I want a 2nd one.
As for the spark plug. Good idea but they might notice and the guy is a monster. Big, bald and has the look of a sumo wrestler. I am a bit beyond confrontations.
AHHHH it just went silent. Peace.  :angel:

Yeah, this past winter outside of Apache Junction I got in an area on BLM land where I heard people did some shooting. And I drove on back roads well past this area, or so I thought. I was near a couple other boondockers one of which was waiting for a tool so he could get his tire lock off so he could change his flat tire. Haha. About 10 I hopped in my camper and got to sleep. About 10:30 I awoke to those off road rigs flying in with stereos a blazing. And no kidding... opened up with automatic weapon fire like I never heard before. I got up and left and drove and hour to a pilot station to get my sleep. I love guns... but come on! Haha!

Sheesh! That sounds like something out of a dystopian movie.

One of the greatest joys of being a nomad is having wheels on your home. Noisy neighbors I’m out of here.

I use a Champion dual fuel inverter with my 6x12 cargo trailer. I've use it on propane and have never even put gas in it.

Camper said:
I use a Champion dual fuel inverter with my 6x12 cargo trailer.  I've use it on propane and have never even put gas in it.
I am pretty sure you mean generator. Snap!! I also have a 6 x 12 V nose cargo trailer. Yes, that propane is a real temptation. I really like the idea of redundancy. Having 2 sources of potential fuel is such a good idea.  
In your opinion do you think it runs longer on a 20lb propane tank? I know it is hard to make that comparison as it is apples and oranges. 
I beefed up my solar considerably last year and I use the gen much less. Before that happened I always had 2 of the 2000 watt generators. The Honda started giving me all sorts of trouble to the point I wanted to take my 38 to it and the Harbor Freight Predator was the most expensive, finicky piece of junk I have ever owned.
I bought the Champion in desperation from Tractor Supply last December. To say I am happy would be an understatement. 
I just cleaned the spark suppressor for the first time and it was easy. It was $449 + tax. I think I am done with Hondas. Overpriced and once they start giving trouble --- oh boy.

nature lover said:
One of the greatest joys of being a nomad is having wheels on your home. Noisy neighbors I’m out of here.
This is so true however they always catch by surprise don't they?

NctryBen said:
About 10 I hopped in my camper and got to sleep. About 10:30 I awoke to those off road rigs flying in with stereos a blazing. And no kidding... opened up with automatic weapon fire like I never heard before. I got up and left and drove and hour to a pilot station to get my sleep. I love guns... but come on! Haha!
I may upset some people but those off road vehicles I absolutely HATE. They are noisy, chuck up all kinds of dust and the people who drive them seem to have zero manners. They will drive right through your camp usually accompanied by 12 year olds on loud motorcycles. Often with a stereo blasting a suitable soundtrack to go with the 'gnarly dude' video running in their heads. 
If those things are around in any great number I leave. 
Florence in Arizona was a torture, I left after about 5 nights. Then Quartzsite in January was also marred by these nasty inventions.  
As for the guns. A lot of people seem to have been desensitized by the movies and TV as to just what they have in their hands. It is a dangerous device for killing things. They aren't toys. PLUS how the hell did they have automatics?? They are illegal. AR15s have a large magazine but are set for single shot. Having a machine gun is illegal.

I have a side by side I use as transportation and also to go out into the desert to see the sites. Like any other group of people there are good and bad and certainly not everyone who has one has good manners. I camp in Quartzsite and travel at a snails pace when near camps.

I gotta tell you that they don’t kick up any more dust than a car or truck though. Lots of people just don’t care and won’t keep their speed down. Look in your rear view mirror and if you are kicking up dust then slow it down.

It’s Saturday so there are more people in my forest than the weekdays. But I just had a good experience with four people on dirt bikes. I didn’t get to talk to them since I was taking a bath in the van at the time, but their bikes did not make the normal dirtbike noises. They were quiet in fact they snuck up on me. Usually I can hear dirt bikes coming from several miles before they get here. It would’ve been nice to know if they customize the muffler or bought them that way. I don’t understand those who drive noisy vehicles through the woods you get to say nothing of wildlife because you scare everything off before you get there.

travelaround said:
So, in case I ever want to buy a generator, which one is the quietest?
Hi.
Any inverter generator is not bad. I thought my Honda eu2000 wasn't bad but I bought it in 2005 and compared to my new Champion it is noisy. 
I really like this new generator I have. It was bought at Tractor Supply (so you can go and see it before buying) in Yuma, AZ. $449 +tax brand new. 
It has been used extensively starts easily, is very quiet, and is definitely lighter. You can easily stand next to it and have a conversation without shouting. In fact as you walk away it becomes unnoticeable at about 25 feet. Inside the camper it is silent.     
Either HDR or TXsturgis also endorsed it. 
My only complaint about all of them is the new type spark arrestor. The Honda one is buried in the silencer. I cleaned that one after 15 years and it was still clean. Whereas any of the new gens it is a constant job. The Harbor Freight Predator was every 5 minutes. A real piece of EXPENSIVE junk. 
Anyway I have gone on here :) 
If it is quiet that is the most important factor for you a Champion would be good.
I just checked they have increased the price to $479.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 4
^^^Biggest complaint is cleaning the spark arrestor after 100 hours or so but that was during the first hundred hours which included the break in period. I haven't owned one but the Champion seems to have some of the best reviews of the cheaper smaller generators.

I was home on Thursday, stuck between doctor and lawyer appointments.  It's usually very quiet.  There's a, usually empty, soccer field across the street.  There's another one behind the house with a school yard and several multiuse fields.  Beyond that its mostly potatoes, blueberries, corn, cranberries and salt water as far as you can see.  

About 2 miles away there is a municipal airport.  It is mainly home to small 1 and 2 engine planes and the people who fly them and the companies that teach them.  There are a few helicopters too.  For the most part, they're not really a big deal.

On Thursday a Canadian Airforce CF - 18 came in low over the house to land at the airport.  On Friday it entertained everyone by joining a flyby of the Canadian Snowbirds, our famous aerobatic team.  They started to do a flyover of all hospitals last summer to thank health care workers but a malfunction caused a plane failure on takeoff.  The pilot escaped but the plane and one of the support people were lost.  It's sort of twice as good to see them back.

Back on subject, when you are accustomed to small 1-2 engine planes flying over the house as they descend to the airport, a CF - 18 is overwhelming.  On the other hand, now that I know what it is, I like to try to get some more pictures of it.

Attachments

• ZBB 62.JPG
    ZBB 62.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ZBB 182.JPG
    ZBB 182.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 3
Lake Powell and it's canyons are used during the winter months for practice low level flights. It is really neat to see an aircraft put up a rooster tail of lake water even if they do catch you by surprise sometimes!

I couldn’t help but chuckle for a moment. Not at your predicament, that sucks, sorry you’re subject to that.
Hope you get a quieter spot when you move.
I chuckled because I am also occasionally serenaded by a jackass. Literally. I’m stationary, on acreage, in a rural area. Someone nearby has an ass (at least a) and it sounds off every so often. If it’s not the ass, then it’s cows, neighbors dogs, owls, or raccoons. The raccoons are the worst during mating season, and make a horrible racket all night long that sounds more like a fighting match than anything else.
Recently I was awakened at 4am to strange clunking noises coming from beneath my camper. I donned shoes, headlamp, racked a round in the chamber and went out to investigate. (Yes armed, as we do have coyotes and wild boar and I’m not taking chances)
Well, it happened to be mating season for armadillos and these two were running around and between my wheels and occasionally bumping into the steel frame. They were huge, and have horrible eyesight. So I went back in and swapped firearm for phone so I could get it on video. I’m on my tablet (vid is on the phone) and don’t have hosting or if share it with y’all.