• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Advice please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDC

Reaction score
I will likely buy a B class.  I am partial to the Airstream B190 but I really want a 4x4.  Anyway, my question is: where in the USA is the best place price-wise?  And does anyone recommend a dealer who is honest?  If the rig is worth say, $10K and I have to pay a premium of 10% or even 15%, I don't care that much (well, I do a bit) but I really need to hear of a reputable place in a lower-than-average state.

The Airstream B190 are overpriced in most instances.  Most have the 460 cu. in. engine and they are big gashogs.  Airstream purchased that model from Okanagan.  You can find a comparable Horizon and others for half the price.  I was interested at one point but didn't want to pay for the "Airstream" name.  My $.02...

An 'honest dealer' is an oxymoron. If ya find one, bring a camera for posterity's sake (awe your relatives/kids/grand-kids). ..Willy.

Yeah, OK.&nbsp; I agree.&nbsp; I was just hoping...ya know?&nbsp; I mean...for sure there is an honest dealer somewhere but I doubt there are very many.&nbsp; Maybe 3?&nbsp; But, as I live remote, I am kinda restricted in my search.&nbsp; I have to let the digits do the looking on the 'net.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll pay 'extra' but then I want the damn thing to be straight and tested and relaible.&nbsp; Cheat me outa my money but then give me a good rig at the very least!&nbsp; May as well dream of a weekend with Charlize Theron.&nbsp; And I am grateful for the opinion on the Airstream.&nbsp; I confess to thinking the same thing...overpriced.&nbsp; I did not know about the Horizon but I do know about the Okanagan.&nbsp; There is a Falcon, too, I think.<br>We have RV'd in big, sloppy class C's and traveled for months sleeping in the back of a Ford Explorer towing a utility trailer.&nbsp; I understand the 'range'.&nbsp; But my wife is kinda getting insistent on having an indoor bathroom (she's gettin' on....) and I must admit to wanting a shower tho I don't care if we still use the black plastic bag.<br>The main reason for the B class is that I like to have a utility trailer that has camp chairs and crap. &nbsp;<br>Anyway, thanks for the 2 cents and I invite more...

I have never come across a 4x4 motorhome except homemade.&nbsp; each to their preference. I like the roadtrec brand. The airstream trailers I have looked seem to be well made.<br>The only dealer I talk to is Campers World. Connected to Good Sam Club some how.<br><br>When I had my class c, the toilet and shower, heat and air were good stuff.

There is a 4 X 4 motor home but they start around $ 175000. People do make 4 x 4 van's. Cost is from $ 12000 up. Not easy to find and not cheep.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

Keep an eye on the PPL website.&nbsp; This is a consignment place on the south-west side of Houston.&nbsp; I bought my C there, and know or have met several other purchasers.&nbsp; They have a pretty good reputation for the inspections.&nbsp; If you see one you like, you make an offer to the seller.&nbsp; He may accept, or counter.&nbsp; Once a price is agreed on, you ask for the inspection.&nbsp; $200 or so.&nbsp; If they find problems, you can re-negotiate, or walk away.&nbsp; You have to pay for the inspection.&nbsp; They have a great website, with layouts and pics of each RV.&nbsp; They have A, B, and C motorhomes, as well as 5th wheels and bumper pulls.&nbsp; It's a great website to compare rig layouts.&nbsp; I lurked there for a long time before I bought&nbsp; :)<br><br>Bama

Trail Wagons made a 4X4 Class C.&nbsp; 2004 Chinook Baja.&nbsp; The last year that they were in business.&nbsp; I have seen a couple listed for sale in the last couple of years. <br>Roadtrek had a 4X4 Class B.&nbsp; I think that one was 2006.&nbsp; I have never noticed one for sale.<br>Sportsmobile does 4X4 vans and Class B's.

Thanks, guys.&nbsp; Shoulda answered already but my notification-of-replies app seems to have stopped.&nbsp; I appreciate the advice.&nbsp; But I have to admit part of me that is interested in being here is the CHEAP part of Cheapliving.&nbsp; Don't have a lot of money.&nbsp; Retired.&nbsp; Pension.&nbsp; You know......<br>So that kind of limits my search.&nbsp; Really limits my 4x4 search as you have pointed out.&nbsp; I have seen some reasonable looking older 4x4 ambulances.&nbsp; They could be converted.&nbsp; And I have an incling to get one of those utility trucks with the side boxes and somehow camperize that.&nbsp; My favourite idea which my wife has kinda kyboshed is taking a step van and camperizing that.&nbsp; THAT appeals.&nbsp; But they don't do 4x4's to be sure.&nbsp; Still, I really like the stealth aspect.&nbsp; And I have the abilities to do the conversion....if I knew of a good site for materials.......?