Advice on internet tethered to cell phone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pre paid phone plans don't allow thethering other devices to your phone, or they restrict how much data other devices use. When I had Straight Talk that was the case. Things change constantly with cell phone companies. I was with Verizon prepaid for quite a while. I seen an add where they were offering a much better deal on data. I called them up and was put on the new plan. The lesson here is if I had not called, my data would not have been upgraded automatically. \

It is probably best to just wait till you are there and see what works, and what deals they are offering that month.

DannyB1954 said:
Some pre paid phone plans don't allow thethering other devices to your phone,  or they restrict how much data other devices use. When I had Straight Talk that was the case. Things change constantly with cell phone companies. I was with Verizon prepaid for quite a while. I seen an add where they were offering a much better deal on data. I called them up and was put on the new plan. The lesson here is if I had not called, my data would not have been upgraded automatically. \

It is probably best to just wait till you are there and see what works, and what deals they are offering that month.

Tethering being blocked is usually a software problem. The stock software on a phone will often either block tethering or report tethering. If you're so inclined, and technically skilled enough, you can nuke the stock software on your phone and replace it with a "custom ROM", and then tether.

With most MVNOs, they don't enable tethering on stock software, but AFAIK they don't care if you get around that restriction.

That said, it's an advanced technical procedure that should only be attempted by techies, or on a spare phone you won't cry about bricking.

Visible allows unlimited tethering but only works on towers that Verizon owns. Verizon customers can roam onto other networks where Visible will not roam onto those same towers. One of my favorite camping spots is in the middle of nowhere Idaho and the only service I can get is with my Verizon service. No other vendor will work there (maybe someone with local service?).

Latest posts