Advice on finding a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myconerd

Reaction score
I live in oklahoma and it seems like good vans are few and far between. I'm nervous to buy from out of state and have it shipped bc... well bc of all the things that could happen and not being able to see or drive it myself before purchasing. 

Any advice?

I'm only working with about $10k as well... :(

Keep looking and be prepared to travel a bit. In OK and TX you will have a better chance of finding a rust-free van. The oil patch business is down, so more trucks may be available soon. Consider a PU and camper or a trailer instead.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe i just need to be more patient.

Keep saving your money and the right one will find you.

I had a very specific van in mind and was willing to fly out (and back if necessary) anywhere (outside the rust belt) to get it. I looked for a year before one showed up only about 50 miles away.

Check with U-Haul a friend of mine just bought a nice one from them. He told me when they hit 12,000 miles they flip them

myconerd said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe i just need to be more patient.
It's unclear exactly what you're looking for, but a Chevy Express or GMC Savana (which I have) will likely be easier to find used than many of the other types. In my case, I live several hundred miles from a large city, and it took me 3 months of looking to find a Savana locally. So, there are 2 reference points for you. I found it through cargurus.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I'm looking for a larger cargo van. something above 208" in length. I'm definitely interested in the express and savana.

I just found on Facebook a 2001 GMC savana with 120k miles that looks really good. I've driven it now and it all seems to check out.

There is some rust on the top of the van near the front window due to paint being missing. It only seems to be on the surface though.

I'm planning to take it to a mechanic tomorrow to have it looked at before making any decisions.

Savana and Express are 224" long for the regular (135") wheel base, and 241" for the extended version (155" wheel base)
Peeling of the paint on the hood is a regular occurrence in these vans for some production years, mostly on white vans.
They are both good vans.
Let's hope you are not too tall.

One of my biggest considerations before buying a vehicle that can have a significant factor on me if it goes down is to make sure the motor, tranny and rear end is oil sampled and sent to a lab. I don't do this for my grocery getters, but for my semi or a van where serious breakdowns on the road can cost money even if you are mechanically inclined. I did this for our Chevy express 3500 with 300,000(fleet vehicle) the oil samples came back showing wear levels lower than normal, little research showed motor had been changed. So I got a $800 dollar van with a new motor. Tranny shows wear but is still within limits. I used Blackstone I recommend taking a sample every time you change fluids it will worn you of problems coming before you have a major one on the road.

I never even knew that was an option! (sending in oil to be tested)

@sophisintown Thanks for the info.

You can find more info here https://www.blackstone-labs.com. Call them and they will send you a kit for free you put your oil sample in the kit, with a $30 dollar mo or credit card. Drop it off at your post office postage is already paid with tracking number and in a week or so they will email you a report. Hope this helps.

I have been looking at Government auction sites. Also Uhaul and other compnaies that use trucks/vans often sell the "older" ones. These are generally well maintained.
I googled used Uhaul trucks that took me the the auction site as well as uhaul truck for sale. this took me down the rabbit hole- mini scholl buses can be a good thing to. As far as my search took me on buses, it said to contact local school districts. Another oprion is Goodwill auto auction.

Hope this helps a bit.