Adoption from Shelter When You Are "Homeless"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important that we distinguish between typical, government kill-shelters and the no-kill rescues. Kill-shelters almost never have the restrictions on adoption, The no-kill shelters have the luxury of being patient and strict--someone is fostering the dog till it's adopted.

The huge advantage of getting them from a rescue, is you get feedback from the foster parents, they have some experience with the dog.

When I got Homer from a Rescue, his owners came to pick him up while I was there and even though Homer was an 85 pound dog, they put a leash on him and gave the leash to their 3 year old to wander around with him. One slight tug and she would have gone flying and been badly hurt. He followed her around with total abandon.

At that moment I knew he was a special dog and I had to have him, although he was huge for a van!! Never for a second did I regret having him as a traveling companion!

akrvbob said:
Important that we distinguish between typical, government kill-shelters and the no-kill rescues. Kill-shelters almost never have the restrictions on adoption, The no-kill shelters have the luxury of being patient and strict--someone is fostering the dog till it's adopted.

The huge advantage of getting them from a rescue, is you get feedback from the foster parents, they have some experience with the dog.

When I got Homer from a Rescue, his owners came to pick him up while I was there and even though Homer was an 85 pound dog, they put a leash on him and gave the leash to their 3 year old to wander around with him. One slight tug and she would have gone flying and been badly hurt. He followed her around with total abandon.

At that moment I knew he was a special dog and I had to have him, although he was huge for a van!! Never for a second did I regret having him as a traveling companion!

I've gotten similar feedback from friends of mine.  One of them warned against even Craigslist where the actual owners are giving up the dog.  

Something that I am wondering about is leaving the dog in the vehicle when I have to go to a place that doesn't allow dogs.  I'm sure there is a topic about that around here somewhere...

Gypsy Peripatetique said:
Maricopa County is overflowing with adoptable dogs and you don't have to live in the state to adopt.  Here is the website.  I haven't been there yet.
http://www.maricopa.gov/3560/Animal-Care-and-Control

Hey, Gypsy P!   I'm in West Phoenix in a sticks and bricks til the end of the year.  If you want one from Maricopa County, I'm happy to either go with you or let you use my address.

GypsySpirit said:
Hey, Gypsy P!   I'm in West Phoenix in a sticks and bricks til the end of the year.  If you want one from Maricopa County, I'm happy to either go with you or let you use my address.

Beans GypsySpirit! Thanks!  I need to get some other things settled before I get the dog but thank you for your generous offer!  I will put it in my back pocket.  :heart:

Let's meet up at the RTR.

I have never adopted a dog, they always seem to find and adopt me. Every dog I've owned was a stray who wouldn't leave me alone. If you want a dog, just be open to one and they will find you.

velojym said:
I think they take on a sort of narrow-minded bureaucratic mindset. Their standards are set, and it kinda fits in with the "American Dream (official version)" where you need to have 2.5 kids, a picket fence, two cars, and a mortgage... fill out an adoption application, submit to home visits by doggie "social workers", and maybe we'll let you adopt one of these critters instead of euthanizing them.

You got that so right.  I agree whole heartedly.

Zardor said:
I have never adopted a dog, they always seem to find and adopt me. Every dog I've owned was a stray who wouldn't leave me alone. If you want a dog, just be open to one and they will find you.

You must have animal magnetism.  :p

John61CT said:
Maybe they figure some of us would BBQ our Fido in a pinch.

John! you promised to never give up that secret. Does that mean our lunch date is off?

Status
Not open for further replies.