Adoption from Shelter When You Are "Homeless"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I am considering adopting a dog from a shelter.  Since I don't have a "forever home", I'm not sure what the reaction will be at the shelter.  Will I be able to adopt without a physical address?  Advice?

Sadly, the majority will not. I looked for a long time before I found one that did. So my advice is to be diligent looking, but ask right away if they will do it, no use in wasting your time if they won't let you have a dog.

I know it sounds weird, but I think it all happens just when it should. I found the perfect dog for me and they were delighted to let me have him!

The Wake County, North Carolina, shelter is full so they are adopting animals out for free. I know people in Wake County who would let you borrow their address.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's ironic because it's literally the best life you could give a dog. You're there like they need all day, plenty of play, plenty of exercise. Such a stupid shame.

Maybe they figure some of us would BBQ our Fido in a pinch.

If you're in a place where you have a friend or relative, ask if they would go in with you, and do the adoption if you find the right pet. Then they just turn over the animal to you.

They make adopting a dog ridiculously hard. I had a fenced in yard when I adopted mine and told a few rescues where they could stick it. Finally found once with much more reasonable requirements.

If I ever do another rescue I'm just going direct to a high kill shelter where you can pull one out no questions asked. My brother got his dog at one in Georgia and they couldn't have been happier to give him one.

I was in communication with a mountain shelter before I left last year, after a few emails I mentioned the trailer and never heard from her again. This was a place just begging people to take the dogs. I started looking at schnauzer rescues and they wanted almost as much for a 8 year old or older dog as I paid for Max. I have had many schnauzers before, the medical bills start right around 8 years old.

I think they take on a sort of narrow-minded bureaucratic mindset. Their standards are set, and it kinda fits in with the "American Dream (official version)" where you need to have 2.5 kids, a picket fence, two cars, and a mortgage... fill out an adoption application, submit to home visits by doggie "social workers", and maybe we'll let you adopt one of these critters instead of euthanizing them.

While I understand their position (one size fits all rubberstamp life, anyway), when I was an animal control officer, we sent a lot of pups to their doom... I had to quit because I just couldn't stomache it.

Craigslist and other resources will have lots of pets looking for homes. If you don't have an official "American Dream (official version)" address, you should easily be able to find someone there to rescue.

I got my Beagle free 14 years ago from a flyer at the public library. So there are alot of options if you want a pet.

Hopefully you can find a shelter that isn't to bureaucratic. Being upfront with them is definitely going to be the best way not to waste anyones time.

Anyway good luck to anyone looking to rescue an animal from a shelter.

Every Road Leads Home said:
"They make adopting a dog ridiculously hard.   If I ever do another rescue I'm just going direct to a high kill shelter where you can pull one out no questions asked." 

I too had a time of it finding a dog from a shelter.  Because I live over an hour from the nearest shelter, I was
denied because the travel time for a home inspection was too great. 

I was looking for a young female coonhound & told a friend about it.  She was soon to drive to KY to visit family. 
Coonhounds are the pitbulls of the south!  There are many lost hounds in high kill shelters.  My friend
went to the nearest shelter, found a beautiful dog, just what I wanted, pulled it, and brought it all the way back
to N CA for me.   What a wonderful friend.

So depending where you are,  try a high kill shelter.  Don't give up!

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

Its so warming knowing everyone is going out of their way for a shelter dog and not a puppy.

Not every shelter does home visits, the one I work for does not. If you give say a UPS store address they wouldn't necessarily know it's not a residence or apartment. Our shelter doesn't verify addresses either. Call or go in and ask about a particular shelter's policies. If they are picky, just go on to the next. Good luck on your search for the right furbaby :)

We got our Frankie in Colorado Springs at the pikes peak humane society.. took about an hour.. no questions asked about our living situation. (16ft travel trailer).

Of course we are currently staying in an rv park for a couple months.

Attachments

• BDD67D34-BD13-4F4F-B964-74EE263C945F.jpeg
    BDD67D34-BD13-4F4F-B964-74EE263C945F.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 10
Why not get them before they go to the shelter... Our last dog came from a cardboard box in a walmart parking lot. The one before came from a family that was going to take the remainder of the litter to the pound. In addition to craigslist, check the local facebook sale page and you will often find them there. None of these people required a home visit. Heck, the pups were free except for their shots, their toys, their bed, ... .

This is strange that such good people can't easily get a rescued pet.  I've been following Kia Gypsy Girl channel.. she is in Ehrenburg and
recently got a doggie cuz the prairie doggies wouldn't keep her enough company!  :D

Kia Gypsy Girl

bigsallysmom said:
Why not get them before they go to the shelter... Our last dog came from a cardboard box in a walmart parking lot.  The one before came from a family that was going to take the remainder of the litter to the pound.  In addition to craigslist, check the local facebook sale page and you will often find them there.  None of these people required a home visit.  Heck, the pups were free except for their shots, their toys, their bed, ... .

Yes, this is what I will probably do.  I went to the local shelter that had the size/type of dog that I want and found one (at least). They wouldn't let me have the dog because I didn't have an in-state driver's license. (I have to keep my DL in that state for a bit longer.) It sucks because he was a little nuts - in a good way - which made me laugh.  

So I've been looking on Craigslist, but I will probably wait until a day or two before I hit the road again as I am currently at my father's house getting things done on my van.

Thanks for the FB tip!

JustACarSoFar said:
This is strange that such good people can't easily get a rescued pet.  I've been following Kia Gypsy Girl channel.. she is in Ehrenburg and
recently got a doggie cuz the prairie doggies wouldn't keep her enough company!  :D

Kia Gypsy Girl

Nice!

JustACarSoFar said:

Kia Gypsy Girl

OMG! I just watched the 11/12 video.  Everyone that lives in a vehicle has the very same thoughts - sometimes friends and family join the chorus.  Just like KGG, I have had to start over - and do the difficult soul searching about what it actually means to have a life.  I use Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as a gauge.  Freezing is not an option.  Starving is not an option. 

Being miserable is not an option...which is also why I am going this in the first place.

Anyway, I hope she sticks with it.  It is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts