Adoptig a pet soon?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
As some of you may have read, I'll be adopting in the near future.  I've been shown that there is a big pet festival where hundreds of adorable animals will be along with much more pet related stuff.  Here's the link with the info: http://holidaypetfestival.com/Home_Page.html

While not able to adopt right now, I have not seen any "Pet Adoption" groups that treat vandwellers with the trust that they'd do so with those who are residing in homes, or do I just have a limited view of them?

I recall years ago (1996) I was in Iowa and went to a local shelter and asked to adopt and was rejected since I was a "Renter" and yes, they never got a dime out of me for a donation. I later adopted from a couple who had 2 strays that came to them hungry and flea/tick infested....I blew cash out every orifice to get and keep them healthy, was repaid with 13 years of love....

That's what I thought as well, but the first group I contacted was open to the idea. When you tried was it through a group that fosters first, or an animal shelter/pound?

Honesty is the best policy except where it concerns money or pet adoptions. Tell them you live on 5 acres of fenced property and the animal will have it's own bedroom with a maid and butler. I promise, they will not try to mail the animal to you.

not too far from the truth, my dog does have a butler and chauffeur, (me).

I adopted one from a rescue and they never went further than asking a few simple questions on a form, and then I met them at their office at about 8pm and picked Camo up as he was getting off the transport truck.  Every rescue/shelter is different.  If you want to adopt a pet, you will find one that will adopt to your situation.  My brother adopted from a local county shelter in Oregon and they gave him his dog on the spot for a $200 adoption fee which included shots and neuter.

Attachments

• 20161013_151724.jpg
    20161013_151724.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 5
I will say that some of the adoption fees I have seen are in line with what we paid for our pure bred pups.

Yup, I dunno what the pound charges, strays cost whatever the cost is to care for them

On another website, there has been a lot of discussion. Some of these groups seem to hoard animals. I have come in contact with them and they wanted a home inspection, fenced yard, some with 3 or 4 pages of questions about family, even other people coming to the home often. Both of my current dogs, one as a pup 11 years ago and the other as a senior 4 years ago, came from Animal Control facilities. If you get a good worker at such a facility, they can really help you choose a dog/cat. Just tell them what you are looking for and many will let you know when one becomes available. Often Animal Control concentrates on placing the animals that have the best chance of success in a new home. If money is an issue, ask about low cost spay/neuter in the area as many places have programs.

I've adopted most of my buddies over the years. sometimes from a breed rescue, sometimes from the county animal shelter, and some just from a friend of a friend. The friend of a friend was obviously the cheapest and easiest. I did have a home visit from a malamute rescue, but they have good reason too. Malamutes and huskies are not for everyone, and they don't want to place a dog with someone who doesn't know what they are getting into, and ends up returning it. That is traumatic for all concerned including the dog. That said, I don't think living mobile would have been an issue, as a malamute needs much more exercise than a fenced yard can provide anyway. Sometimes a person may have to explain what their living situation really looks like to someone who doesn't understand, but most will probably not just say no because your mobile. Shoot, if they really knew they would realize that most van dwelling dogs get way more attention and exercise than the average family dog that gets left at home all day every day.

I agree. If they knew how pampered, taken care of and spoiled most dwellers dogs are, certainly mine were, they would have fewer issues.

masterplumber said:
I've adopted most of my buddies over the years. sometimes from a breed rescue, sometimes from the county animal shelter, and some just from a friend of a friend. The friend of a friend was obviously the cheapest and easiest. I did have a home visit from a malamute rescue, but they have good reason too. Malamutes and huskies are not for everyone, and they don't want to place a dog with someone who doesn't know what they are getting into, and ends up returning it. That is traumatic for all concerned including the dog. That said, I don't think living mobile would have been an issue, as a malamute needs much more exercise than a fenced yard can provide anyway. Sometimes a person may have to explain what their living situation really looks like to someone who doesn't understand, but most will probably not just say no because your mobile. Shoot, if they really knew they would realize that most van dwelling dogs get way more attention and exercise than the average family dog that gets left at home all day every day.

Shoot, Doug...  Your dogs have it made.  They are even allowed a vote in family business.   :D  Wolfie carries on a better discussion than my last wife.   :s