Adding to a Renology solar kit.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiePorgie

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 Ford E-150 cargo van. I was thinking of installing a 400 watt Renology kit, but I don't think I can afford it right now. Is it difficult to start with a 200 watt system and expand to 400 when I can afford it?

Not at all.

If you get different panels later, best to keep like with like on their own controller.

Make sure to buy a large enough controller for 400 watts.
The 20 amp unit in the 200 watt kits is too small to handle any added panels. Max 236 watts.

The SC in the kit is sized for that number of panels.

If that's the way you want to go, just buy another kit to get what you need.

Or

if you want just one SC, buy a la carte, get a SC to start sized for the number of panels will fit on your roof.

No major advantage in the kits anyway

Renogy will let you mix and match or do substitutions as you put it. call and ask. at least they used to. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Renogy will let you mix and match or do substitutions as you put it. call and ask.  at least they used to.   highdesertranger

Great. I know little to nothing about installing an electrical system, but a friend is helping and he is more competant with mechanical stuff. I need all the help I can get.

One thing to keep in mind about Renogy's monocrystalline panels is that the panels they normally bundle with kits are the least-suited for use with the PWM charge controllers they normally bundle with kits (I discuss the output Voltage of their various mono panels in more detail in this post). OTOH, their standard mono panels are the most MPPT-friendly of their 12V lineup of panels. Keep that in mind as you shop for components.

What you will want to do when going from 200W to 400W system is to make sure all the batteries are exactly the same AH and model.

Ideally, they should also be the same age and health condition, but I am guessing that there will be minimal problem as long as you do the expansion within a couple of years, ie before the original batteries age too much. Maybe someone knows more about this aspect. ????

Many owners abuse their batts so EoL (70-80% SoH) comes well before 2 years.

Better to buy all the same time.

Best of all the same mfg date, most recent available.

2-3 months max for me, few sellers keep SoC up.

QinReno said:
What you will want to do when going from 200W to 400W system is to make sure all the batteries are exactly the same AH and model.

Ideally, they should also be the same age and health condition, but I am guessing that there will be minimal problem as long as you do the expansion within a couple of years, ie before the original batteries age too much. Maybe someone knows more about this aspect. ????

I am having money problems now, but need to install this right away, so I can stop paying rent. How many batteries do I need for the Renology 200 watt system and which will be the most affordable, but safe? My van has no ventilation so far when closed at night.

I didn't think I would get so low on cash, but I have and not sure how much money I will make as an independent contractor getting signatures for iniatives. I just started today and have to scope it out. I really need some advice on the best way to proceed on the batteries.

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

Well you must have good ventilation anyway.

Most people have no problem with just tray + cover + hold down straps.

If you find you're sensitive even when venting the living space, only then have to box them in and vent outside.

Some vehicles, you can put in a box outside.

Quality AGM cost a **lot** more per AH, harder to care for properly and don't last as long even then.

John61CT said:
Well you must have good ventilation anyway.

Most people have no problem with just tray + cover + hold down straps.

If you find you're sensitive even when venting the living space, only then have to box them in and vent outside.

Some vehicles, you can put in a box outside.

Quality AGM cost a **lot** more per AH, harder to care for properly and don't last as long even then.

So you think FLA batteries would be better for my situation?

GeorgiePorgie said:
So you think FLA batteries would be better for my situation?

My buddy has been helping me build the van, but just told me he doesn't understand the solar electric kit now that he has seen it. He is a fairly mechanical guy, but not an expert and even less so when it comes to electricity. I got the idea that the Renology kits were fairly simple for someone handy at fixing things. Is that incorrect?
I got the thing and he is ready to help, but does not feel comfortable at all with the wiring.

Yes, when budget is important, by default FLA.

But do take seriously the more general need for well controlled ventilation.

Don't let your own-generated humidity build up trapped to the point you start getting condensation, mildew / mold is a PITA to deal with once it starts.