adding second separate battery bank - ground to chassis or main house battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completelyhis

Reaction score
I have 2 6v batteries wired in a series that provide power to the 12v system system. I've installed 400 watts of solar, and have two other 6v batteries connected to an inverter. I want to keep them separate for a variety of reasons. I'm unsure what to do with the ground though. Should i ground the solar bank to the chassis along with the house batteries, or should the solar bank not be grounded to the chassis at all?

Thanks,

Ian

How do you charge the inverter batteries?

My batteries are the only thing that is grounded to the chassis. Fuses on all the hot wires.

B and C said:
My batteries are the only thing that is grounded to the chassis. Fuses on all the hot wires.

If I wanted to install a manual switch on the hot for the solar/invested to either be joined with the house or have solar switch to the house, coil I just connect the negative between inverter batteries and house batteries, and connect solar to the “in” on a switch, and inverter on “A” of switch and house on “B” of switch? The switch has A, B, and A+B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switching the charge controller between batteries should only be done with the solar panels disconnected from the controller. Whether you hook the negative from battery to battery directly or through chassis ground accomplishes the same thing.

I think you would be better served connecting both battery banks in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) and have your solar charge controller connected to the one big battery.

completelyhis said:
I have 2 6v batteries wired in a series that provide power to the 12v system system. I've installed 400 watts of solar, and have two other 6v batteries connected to an inverter. I want to keep them separate for a variety of reasons. I'm unsure what to do with the ground though. Should i ground the solar bank to the chassis along with the house batteries, or should the solar bank not be grounded to the chassis at all?

Thanks,

Ian

Yes both ground to chassis, I have been doing two separate banks for years, one lead acid house battery bank, one LiFePo4 for inverter run items.  No issues having both chassis grounded.