Addiction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spunky

Reaction score
Will I be able to travel in my van that I set up for camping in Maryland a week at a time?  To travel southwest (Quartsite area with being on Methadone since 1995 . Ive never missed a day and never failed my piss testing since . In Maryland I receive 1 month takehomes but can't comute  across country every month, Is it possible or am I stuck? I am 70years old on $1300 a month SS

are you getting treatments thru Medicare? If so, and you have "old school" Medicare (not a plan C advantage), then you can go anywhere in the nation that accepts Medicare. If funding is thru a state agency, like Medicaid, then you're stuck in the state

If you can travel in a van for a week, then yes, you can travel in it for a month, and if you can travel in it for a month...

I agree that if you are getting your methadone through Medicaid, most likely you'll need to maintain a residence in Maryland, and must return there once a month. But I don't KNOW that. If you have a caseworker, then you need to ask that person what you can and can't do. And be honest. You do not want to risk losing your meds.

But you know, you could travel to Q and back in a month for an RTR. And although it's harder to be a full-time van dweller on the east coast, it's not impossible. There are other east-coasters on the forum, so keep on reading to meet them. And get good ideas for improving your van!

No need to go to the Southwest. There are National Forests along the Appalachian Mountains, rather handy to Maryland.

George Washington and Jefferson National Forest mostly in VA; Monongahela National Forest in WV; and the Cherokee, Pisgah, Mantahala and Uwharrie National Forests in NC. A little farther away are the Francis Marion & Sumter National Forest in SC; Daniel Boone National Forest in TN; and the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest in GA.

Free dispersed camping — boondocking — is available in all National Forests.

Unless the Methadone treatment turns out to be portable across states, I don’t know that traveling to Quartzite from Maryland is realistic.

Breaking down, becoming ill, anything that waylaid the OP could rapidly became an emergency difficult to resolve.

Even if the Methadone could be obtained at any pharmacy, doing drops monthly from a distance is another story.

Plenty of camping near Maryland, and I might go with that and be glad to have it.

Welcome spunky. Get online or on the phone To see if Maryland state forest have free sites to camp. Here in PA we have many, I am camped in one as I write this. You’re probably not far from the Shenandoah national forest in Virginia which would have many places to camp for free also. Hope you find what you’re looking for. Pay attention to the link about East Coast Nomads because it’s starting to catch a little bit of a spark. We might have something going here before too long.

Okay, now I know that I cannot move freely while taking medication for my mental health. But I also need to ask my doctor about that because I am unsure.
Nobody told me that I would not be able to move freely across the US, and this forum topic is news to me. I have been clean for more than 6 months since a professional interventionist helped me leave this circle of addiction. I am happy that I still manage to stay afloat because it’s my longest clean period so far. I really hope it will last till the end of my life. Now I would like to travel a bit and see how beautiful nature can be and how much I have not seen in this world.

You could check with your doctor, as you said, or with your insurance company (if that's who's paying for the medication). Whatever your arrangement is, they should be able to tell you whether it's portable or not.

Congratulations on getting clean. That is hard work. If you really want it to last, you might want to think about staying in the same place until you feel really solid in it. Travel can be pretty stressful and distracting, even when it is fun. I know it took me years to get out of the habit of eating like a maniac whenever I took a trip.

Who knows what beautiful nature spots there might be right in your back yard? There's such a thing as a staycation, too. Good luck!

radical thought - you could probably get Medicaid by applying at your state human services, then see about a detox rehab to get you off methadone,. Then you're location free. And with old school Medicare, you can go anywhere in the country

The OP likely knows this, but for the rest of you, Methadone is not like other drugs you can just get prescribed and pick up at your local drug store. You need to be under the care of an authorized Methadone clinic. Here's the scoop on that from Medicare itself as to how that gets covered: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/opioid-use-disorder-treatment-services. There is also a link on that page that will allow you to get help from Medicare to find a methadone clinic that takes Medicare. You might be able to work with a clinic or clinics in states in which you want to travel. It would complicate your life a bit but might be worth it. If you also rely on Medicaid, you might want to investigate (carefully! Medicaid is VERY different from state to state as to eligibility and other factors) whether a state near the area in which you will travel most of the year might be a better choice for domicile at least for a period of months. You can't "transfer" Medicaid from one state to another but you can apply in a new state and get coverage that can go back as far as three months. I've seen a nomad get Medicaid in three different states over the course of a single year.

radical thought - you could probably get Medicaid by applying at your state human services, then see about a detox rehab to get you off methadone,. Then you're location free. And with old school Medicare, you can go anywhere in the country

I am not an opioid addict, and have never been. And I assume by your comment that you are not an opioid addict either. Those of us who have never been addicts typically carry this line of reasoning, and are all too apt to offer this "advise". It is crap advise, and we need to stop.

At my age, I now have dozens of friends who have kicked opioids with methadone. As long as they stay on the methadone, they are great functioning members of society and able to manage families - amazing mothers, fathers, and grandparents. At some point, some of them have crossed the paths of people offering the "get off of methadone, you're still an addict" advice. People who say that DO NOT understand opioid addiction.

Opioids alter the brain and body permanently, depending on how long a person was using and their personal physiology. After a point certain brain and body cells will scream for the drug - permanently. Methadone calms down and shuts up the screaming. They are not still addicts on Methadone. They are medicating a permanent disability. No different than insulin or statins. (which also treat lifestyle conditions) Advising anyone to stop Methadone is not considering their best interest, and assuring their return to substances that will assuredly kill them. It is ruinous advice.

Sure... you're gonna say "but I know someone who... ", but just remember, all you really know is what they "tell" you, not necessarily what is really going on. Addicts are good at that.

And KUDOS to the OP... keep rocking on!! I hope you are able to make it to Quartzite at least once. And find some peace and tranquility closer to home.

I am not an opioid addict, and have never been. And I assume by your comment that you are not an opioid addict either. Those of us who have never been addicts typically carry this line of reasoning, and are all too apt to offer this "advise". It is crap advise, and we need to stop.

At my age, I now have dozens of friends who have kicked opioids with methadone. As long as they stay on the methadone, they are great functioning members of society and able to manage families - amazing mothers, fathers, and grandparents. At some point, some of them have crossed the paths of people offering the "get off of methadone, you're still an addict" advice. People who say that DO NOT understand opioid addiction.

Opioids alter the brain and body permanently, depending on how long a person was using and their personal physiology. After a point certain brain and body cells will scream for the drug - permanently. Methadone calms down and shuts up the screaming. They are not still addicts on Methadone. They are medicating a permanent disability. No different than insulin or statins. (which also treat lifestyle conditions) Advising anyone to stop Methadone is not considering their best interest, and assuring their return to substances that will assuredly kill them. It is ruinous advice.

Sure... you're gonna say "but I know someone who... ", but just remember, all you really know is what they "tell" you, not necessarily what is really going on. Addicts are good at that.

And KUDOS to the OP... keep rocking on!! I hope you are able to make it to Quartzite at least once. And find some peace and tranquility closer to home.
I've been in recovery for 16 years and I know many people, including my best friend, who have gotten completely off all opiates, methadone, and heroin as well as all other drugs. It's hard but it's also very doable. The body does not scream for it permanently. Just like the body doesn't scream for any drug permanently. And to say someone who's gotten off opiates must be lying because in your non -professional advice it's not possible is insulting to people who have done the work to change their lives.

Getting off methadone is a lot more complicated than going to detox. It's a strenuous process and requires a lot support, motivation, determination, and commitment that some people don't have or don't want to do. If someone is doing well on methadone and want to stay on it, it's their life and that's what they should do. I personally think Suboxone would open up more possibilities for travel and offer more freedom, but that's for each person to decide.

I've been in recovery for 16 years and I know many people, including my best friend, who have gotten completely off all opiates, methadone, and heroin as well as all other drugs. It's hard but it's also very doable. The body does not scream for it permanently. Just like the body doesn't scream for any drug permanently. And to say someone who's gotten off opiates must be lying because in your non -professional advice it's not possible is insulting to people who have done the work to change their lives.

Getting off methadone is a lot more complicated than going to detox. It's a strenuous process and requires a lot support, motivation, determination, and commitment that some people don't have or don't want to do. If someone is doing well on methadone and want to stay on it, it's their life and that's what they should do. I personally think Suboxone would open up more possibilities for travel and offer more freedom, but that's for each person to decide.

I was explaining it, as it was explained to me... by addicts in recovery, medical staff, and therapists. It helped me to understand better. It will help others understand, and to not judgmentally offer up unqualified advice.

I did not say people were lying - or I would have used that word specifically. I said exactly what I meant to say - we only know what people tell us. And we don't ever know what is actually going on behind the scenes. And I also used the word "depending". It's a conditional IF/THEN reference... not an all-encompassing statement.

Getting off of methadone is not a "radical thought" as that previous poster stated. More try and fail than otherwise - indicative of the fact that complete freedom is something everyone hopes for. KUDOS to you, your people, and your best friend. But that was a decision for you and your prospective doctors/therapists... not something that should be directed, suggested, or encouraged, except by one's own medical support staff. BECAUSE it is so hard, and the failure rate is so high.

Staying on Methadone... and living a fully functional life is a complete success of its own.

Last edited:

Sure... you're gonna say "but I know someone who... ", but just remember, all you really know is what they "tell" you, not necessarily what is really going on. Addicts are good at that. --
-- It would seem all you know is "someone", whether your "good at that" is subjective.
I am a recovering addict, been doing so for 24 years.
Having "first hand knowledge" of this subject, I can only offer up my experience without judgement of others.
2 major back surgeries were the result of a fall down a stairway at work.
Soon began the multitude of pain relievers, or so they called it.
Oxycontin was the go to drug of every doctor I was to see, in several disciplines of medicine.
Long story short, I landed in a detox unit with every addicted form of humanity.
From an airline pilot, to junkies fresh off the street.
I took the easier softer way .. or so I thought, Methadone.
I had it prescribed, and yet had to go to a walk-in clinic weekly to get it.
I also had to travel a couple times, and was able to be "courtesy dosed" if I needed.
One day I said no more.
Nov. 15, 1998 was day one, and for 2 months I begged God's help in ridding the pain, and physical crap.
He did, and I'm here not because I'm tough.
Because I was weak, and started that nightmare to begin with.
I can only speak of my experience, no one else's, and without judgement.

I was explaining it, as it was explained to me... by addicts in recovery, medical staff, and therapists. It helped me to understand better. It will help others understand, and to not judgmentally offer up unqualified advice.

I did not say people were lying - or I would have used that word specifically. I said exactly what I meant to say - we only know what people tell us. And we don't ever know what is actually going on behind the scenes. And I also used the word "depending". It's a conditional IF/THEN reference... not an all-encompassing statement.

Getting off of methadone is not a "radical thought" as that previous poster stated. More try and fail than otherwise - indicative of the fact that complete freedom is something everyone hopes for. KUDOS to you, your people, and your best friend. But that was a decision for you and your prospective doctors/therapists... not something that should be directed, suggested, or encouraged, except by one's own medical support staff. BECAUSE it is so hard, and the failure rate is so high.

Staying on Methadone... and living a fully functional life is a complete success of its own.
I'm guessing the medical staff and therapists were all financially benefitting from the people taking methadone which again is fine for some people but it's not a miracle cure for everyone. People relapse back to heroin and other opiates while taking methadone just as much as they relapse without taking it. Methadone is a quality controlled drug, so people know exactly what to expect with it, but it's still an addictive drug that gets people high, which is why it's also bought and sold on the streets. In addition, people add other drugs, like benzodiazepines, to their dose to make it stronger or save doses to take more at one time. It's not the answer for everybody.

You insinuated people were lying about getting off opiates on their own right after you said it was impossible to do.

I see nothing wrong with suggesting someone get off methadone if it's causing issues in their life or preventing them from living the life they want to live. Methadone was never intended to be taken forever. It was suppose to be a way for people to completely get off opiates by gradually having their methadone dose decreased. Somewhere along the way that changed to people need to be on methadone forever, which is fine if that's what the person wants but not everyone wants their lives restricted like that. It's on that person to decide if getting off methadone is a suggestion they want to take.

Probably ^^everybody is right here, and we’re all basically “blind men looking at the elephant.” There’s so much people still don’t know about how the brain/body works.

(Personally, I had such an easy time quitting booze, and such an insanely hard time quitting cigarettes, that I don’t even feel right making generalizations about myself anymore, let alone about all addicts.)

If the person who started this discussion (alexandarch) is still listening in, the important thing to know is that you have to protect your recovery in the way that’s best for you.

Good luck to all!

PS for anyone who reads the linked poem, be aware that the final stanza is not up to the standards of the CheapRVLiving Forum ;) ...

I am Medicaid patient... The Medicare Advantage will not fill prescriptions at out of state locations...

I know zero about methadone rules... Mine are asthma meds.... But my local pharmacy has been sending my meds thru mail for several months until I decided whether I was permanently staying in NM...

I don't think the corporate scum pharmacys will mail but you might shop around at locally owned mom n pop places who just might like mine does

I am Medicaid patient... The Medicare Advantage will not fill prescriptions at out of state locations...

I know zero about methadone rules... Mine are asthma meds.... But my local pharmacy has been sending my meds thru mail for several months until I decided whether I was permanently staying in NM...

I don't think the corporate scum pharmacys will mail but you might shop around at locally owned mom n pop places who just might like mine does
Costco has been sending me my prescriptions wherever I am for over 10 years now.