Achieving a long range WiFi connection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
A lot of public WiFi areas in my country are located in busy or inconvenient areas.  Sometimes I can only use public WiFi for short sessions because my van is stuck in the sun and it heats up like an oven.  If I try to move 100 metres to some shade I lose the connection.

Basically I'm looking for equipment (antenna/booster, etc) to achieve maximum long range WiFi connection so I have more flexibility with my location when I am using public WiFi.

Anyone know any good equipment and the type of distance I can get from it?

IIRC, he is from the land down under, Australia. The only difference is outside the US is some countries have a couple of more channels AFAIK. Any Yagi type antenna would help tremendously. The higher the gain, the more directional it becomes.

As far as what equipment, IDK, I use my cellular data.

poot_traveller said:
Anyone know any good equipment and the type of distance I can get from it?
I've used this one for the past year and am happy with it:
CC Vector RV Long Range WiFi Receiver System 2.4 GHz

[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I had it built directly into my van conversion.[/font][/size]

I also have one of their radios that I'm happy with.

I answered some questions about my setup and added a picture in this post.

I researched this a bit and from what I can tell it is not possible and nothing is available to boost a wifi signal you are accessing from a distance at least I have not been able to find one. It is possible if you install a booster in between yourself and the modem you are taking your signal from, but it has to be close enough to the sender to pick up a signal and usually need some kind of power source. It basically relays the signal and these are available in different strengths and they call these things boosters but don’t do what you are hoping to do. That is how I understand it to be but if someone can prove that wrong and knows of some kind of antenna that can pick up a wifi signal from further away without a go between (not a cellular signal) then please us know.i have also noticed that different computers can pick up signals from further away then others, my partners mac computer does better then my iPad.

B and C said:
IIRC, he is from the land down under, Australia. The only difference is outside the US is some countries have a couple of more channels AFAIK. Any Yagi type antenna would help tremendously. The higher the gain, the more directional it becomes.

As far as what equipment, IDK, I use my cellular data.

You're close - New Zealand

Yeah I was looking at a yagi, this one: https://www.simplewifi.com/products/yagi?variant=43216438479

iamk said:
I've used this one for the past year and am happy with it:
CC Vector RV Long Range WiFi Receiver System 2.4 GHz

[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I had it built directly into my van conversion.[/font][/size]

I also have one of their radios that I'm happy with.

I answered some questions about my setup and added a picture in this post.

Nice setup

How far away can it connect and maintain good internet speed?

flying kurbmaster said:
I researched this a bit and from what I can tell it is not possible and nothing is available to boost a wifi signal you are accessing from a distance at least I have not been able to find one. It is possible if you install a booster in between yourself and the modem you are taking your signal from, but it has to be close enough to the sender to pick up a signal and usually need some kind of power source. It basically relays the signal and these are available in different strengths and they call these things boosters but don’t do what you are hoping to do. That is how I understand it to be but if someone can prove that wrong and knows of some kind of antenna that can pick up a wifi signal from further away without a go between (not a cellular signal) then please us know.i have also noticed that different computers can pick up signals from further away then others, my partners mac computer does better then my iPad.

This is what I've got my eye on: https://www.simplewifi.com/products/yagi?variant=43216438479

It's only $79NZD ($48USD) so won't break the bank

poot_traveller said:
You're close - New Zealand

Yeah I was looking at a yagi, this one: https://www.simplewifi.com/products/yagi?variant=43216438479
It has a 14Dbi gain which is a pretty good number: "14dBi directional antenna with a 32 degree beam width".  Do you have a way to make the connector on the pigtail antenna cable to your wifi device?  Every adapter you put on a connection induces losses in signal.

This "should" easily get you past your 300 meter distance providing it is pointed out an open window or out in the open.  It is based on the "cantenna" design.  I don't remember the name of the site but it had plans for all different kinds of DIY Wifi antennas.  I played with some of this quite a few years back trying to establish a connection through three houses to a friends house with limited success.  Speeds were pretty slow but our two outer walls and three houses in between was a pretty big barrier.

Did some searching on my server and finally found the website: http://freeantennas.com/

B and C said:
It has a 14Dbi gain which is a pretty good number: "14dBi directional antenna with a 32 degree beam width".  Do you have a way to make the connector on the pigtail antenna cable to your wifi device?  Every adapter you put on a connection induces losses in signal.

[/url]

I'm looking at getting this adapter: AWUS036NH https://www.alfa.com.tw/service_1_detail/5.htm

It has a compatible connector for the pigtail antenna cable, right? because there is two options to choose from:

https://www.simplewifi.com/products/yagi?variant=43216438479

https://www.simplewifi.com/products/yagi?variant=43216438479

Should I get the bottom cable?

Sorry I don't know much about these things

B and C said:
Did some searching on my server and finally found the website: http://freeantennas.com/

Interesting site. But I'd rather leave the antenna building up to the professionals.

You make me feel guilty that I'm not building my own antenna to save money because I'm suppose to be saving money as hard as I can.
I'll just tell myself I'd probably screw it up anyway so I can hid the fact that I'm just too lazy to make an attempt.

No guilt trip intended. I was just trying to give you options.

The antenna you selected and the USB wifi adapter both have RP-SMA (SMA-RP same) connectors so a cable with that connector on both ends should be fine.
The cantenna design has been around for quite some time and should serve your needs. I see you found the higher power option in the wifi adapter (2000Mw vs 1000Mw). Good choice and the alpha's have been around awhile too.

When I started out fulltime, before I ever had access to unlimited cellular internet, that Alfa AWUS036NH wifi adapter with my laptop was my internet connection. I found that the standard supplied antenna extended my range enough to pick up usable wifi when I needed, so I never bothered to upgrade the antenna. So you may not need that big high gain antenna, unless you have a specific need for such range. 

I see the Amazon US listing for the Alfa comes with 2 antennas, the standard rubber antenna, plus a slightly higher gain paddle antenna. 

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH-802-11g-Wireless-Long-Range/dp/B003YIFHJY

Of course if you're in NZ, the offerings there might not be the same. Good luck, I think the Alfa is a good device.

B and C said:
No guilt trip intended. I was just trying to give you options.

The antenna you selected and the USB wifi adapter both have RP-SMA (SMA-RP same) connectors so a cable with that connector on both ends should be fine.
The cantenna design has been around for quite some time and should serve your needs. I see you found the higher power option in the wifi adapter (2000Mw vs 1000Mw). Good choice and the alpha's have been around awhile too.

Forgive me for my dumb question but the yagi has a RP-SMA female connector and the ALPHA has a RP-SMA female connector. Wouldn't I need a male connector on the yagi since the ALPA has a RP-SMA female connector?

You will need a cable between the two with the proper male ends. In other words a cable that has a male RP-SMA connector on both ends. This is not like a household extension cord where there is a male on the supply end and a female on the far end for one way power. The coax is a two way street and no dangerous voltages.

A few years ago people were building these simple Pringles Potato Crisp Can WIFI antennas.  Simple, cheap, and if you are in line of site of the WIFI source you can be some distance away and still get reception.  They would mount them on cheap Webcam tripods.(for stability once they acquired the signal)

2.4 GHz Pringles Can WIFI Antenna

UkNkmUEqeSELm8ZAytsUzpyTUo-R2_5fvZ3_7C0bE35Omn6WRg8lIL-3nL0vP9ekxtqqdYbedElGUn2UH0XUKTQfUVrHcSkMcsd5kI8