About to get started....2000 Chevy Cargo...Pics soon!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadTitan

Reaction score
It looks like I've finally found my van and I'm just waiting for the deal to go through (most likely tomorrow), but I figured I'd lay out my plans and see if anybody has suggestions.

I'm thinking I'll plan the bed/entertainment area for just behind the driver's seat. I'll be putting in a platform bed lengthwise, and most likely storage and a small desk for a laptop directly across from it so you can sit on the edge of the bed and use the computer. I'm planning for a ~23" LED TV just above the desk space mounted on a swivel arm long enough to reach out the barn doors so it can be indoor/outdoor. To achieve this I'll make a triangle support swivel and make holes into the sides of the cabinetry. Most likely using a PVC that won't offgas if I can find one.

I'd like to do the paneling in a satin colored plastic as well, but I need to do some more research. It already has a built in separation between compartments, but I'd like to add a pocket door rather than a curtain.

I'll be running solar with the possibility of a small generator later on. This part won't happen for at least a few months, but I'll be building space for batteries, cable management, etc. One question I do have about the solar setup is that I'd like to be able to switch from shore power to solar when I'm in an RV park, but can't seem to identify the name of the part I'll need to make that happen. If anybody knows you'll earn my gratitude.

For lighting I'll be using an LED undercar kit mounted to the roof in channels layered with a reflective film and then covered by acrylic sanded so that it produces soft light. I'm debating between a plain white kit and one that does multiple colors as a fun thing for parties. http://www.ledunderbody.com/LED-Undercar-Light-Kits.aspx

Next I'll be working on figuring out a way to run a small monitor up front with a reverse camera, and if I can figure out a way to make it work cameras on both rear view mirrors. I'll also be running a dashcam, naturally.

Kitchen that can be accessed from either side with a swing down workspace made from salvaged futon parts.

The van has been acquired, and the conversion starts (slowly) this weekend. Pictures tomorrow as it's too dark at the moment. I'll need help identifying some of the equipment from when it was someone's work van. There's a cylinder lock on the side that I haven't figured out yet. Holes already in the roof for wiring so that'll help when comes to wiring the solar. The front interior is blue so that will likely be the first thing to go after I get the rear insulated. BRING ON THE VINYL DYE.

I didn't have a chance to take pictures, and I've been very busy finishing up the last of my work at what is now officially my former job. The van is going to the mechanic first for a good check up, and then the build starts. Pictures will definitely be coming before, and during the build. We hope to be on the road in just over a week!

TheMadTitan said:
then the build starts.
We hope to be on the road in just over a week!

I thought you bought this back in early November, and now you're sending it to a mechanic, and then plan on starting your build, and be on the road in 1 week???

WOW!!! Sounds pretty darn ambitious!

Good luck Dude, and yeah, we're hoping for some pics!

I can't edit the post as it's been too long, but the original van I had in mind I didn't end up getting. Instead I got a 2005 Chevy Express. I wanted to do the front portion first, but there's nearly no wrecked vans or trucks with compatible interiors around here (down south so that stuff gets bought up pretty quick), so on to the rear! I've done the remaining stripping necessary to get started, and snapped a few pictures that I'll upload later. Our memory foam mattress has arrived so I'm hoping to have the insulation, walls, and floor done in the next few days. I'm able to work on it full time now that I'm done working so expect a lot of quick progress.

With all things being equal the updates should come like this: Insulation, Walls, Floor, Bed, Storage, Lighting, Solar, and then on to accessory stuff like the entertainment setup, body/paint/exterior, and wheels and tires. I've just gotten it back from my mechanic and everything seems to be a go so far. The only hiccup might be the suspension, but that would just be a time delay.

I have changed my plans a bit as instead of a platform bed I'm going to do a futon style. She definitely won't be a show queen, but once I'm done she should be extremely practical and self-sufficient. We've decided against doing a lot of cabinets as we'll be traveling fairly light. I think since we're not doing a sink, and we'll be using a small propane cooktop we can make do the table which I plan to make nearly the length of the full size futon. We won't be needing to cook inside much so I don't anticipate that being a huge issue.

You will notice in the pictures that I post a lot of what looks like rust, but is just staining from the red mud we have down here. It was a work van before and was on a lot of construction sites so the white paint on the interior got stained wherever dirt sat. I just got finished power washing the inside, and after some touch-up cleaning and hole repairs we'll be ready to start insulating!

Great choice of van!!! I too want my next van to be a Chevy Express with the 5.3 LS motor... Is it a extended van or standard???
I really need to take pics but my current van walls are done in luan sheets with paneled insulation. My walls are also textured ( house textured stuff!! ) and then painted. Adds a bit in insulation and feels really homey.... 4 years now and still looks the day I sprayed it on....

I keep meaning to post pictures, but I've been busting ass on the van. I used fiberglass reinforced plastic panels for the walls, insulated underneath with reflectix and foam board. I've been working on the bed today, and painted the walls a metallic silver. Tomorrow is another coat of paint, finishing the bed, and laying down some vinyl tile. Then it's just solar, fan, and finish work on the inside. I figure as long as I get everything I'll be done with the interior by the end of the weekend.

How are you doing with this? I really would like to see pictures.