About that 12v DC Refrigerator......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterPiper

Reaction score
I still haven't bought one.
Keep looking at them and reading the reviews and all.  So many choices.
I keep thinking that it's not worth pluinking down the gold for a cheaper (less than $700) fridge.
Seems the ones under $500 just don't last.

So I've been using my Igloo 28Qt (yep, too small) thermoelectric cooler and a small Galanz 1.7 cu ft office fridge.
The latter does really good and I'm not sure I need anything else.

Anyone out there have a sub $500 DC fridge that has been used regularly that is still going after a year?
Seems most fail right at the 1 year mark or at best by the 2 year mark.
I'm not interested in buying a $300-$400 disposable fridge every year or two.   That's really hard on the environment ya know.

This is important to me too. I've read that they last about a year, even if you get a $300 one. But what about the ones like the ICECO VL60 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator with SECOP Compressor, around $800, and have a five year guarantee on the compressor?

gizmotron said:
This is important to me too. I've read that they last about a year, even if you get a $300 one. But what about the ones like the ICECO VL60 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator with SECOP Compressor, around $800, and have a five year guarantee on the compressor?

Yeah, that's my thoughts too.
If you're gonna go that route going cheap seems to result in a rinse and repeat loop.

I think the one you mentioned will last.
But....$800 is not far from the cost of a nice full size fridge, so there seems to be some gouging going on.

For now I'm just using my AC fridge.  That 1.7cu foot (51 quart) Galanz fridge.
It was $80 new.

I haven't found the power consumption to be that bad.   About 24Ah used for a 12 hour period so I Charge the batteries by day.
It pulls about 2AH while running but my 2 solar panels can deliver 10Amps in good direct sun...so I can get a net of 8Amps for charging even while it's running.  I usually end up running my generator a lot anyway and I have a 20A MeanWell charger I can use that tops the batts up quickly.

I really need 400watts of Solar.  I may swap out my smaller 100watt panels (2) for one larger 400 watter soon.
For now, I'm sticking with my $80, 51 quart AC fridge until I'm ready (or really need) to change up.

I recently bought an ICECO VL75 for under $800. black Friday sale. Only had it operating for a few weeks, so I can't report on reliability. Time will tell. It does have the Secop compressor which should be reliable. Works great so far. Very efficient in terms of power usage. They have a few others a bit cheaper.

I bought a 30-qt compressor refrigerator on sale for $200 (Amazon) and it's working perfect for me every day. I will let you know how long it lasts.

I bought an Alpicool 16 litre fridge about 2.5 years ago and since then it has been plugged in and operating 24/7/365. Still working perfectly.

Did you get the LG version or the non LG version ?

I as well have a ALpicool 48 qt cooler that have been running on 12vs for the past 2 yrs and not a problem.. while not the largest its still large enough to handle 2 qts of milk, 2 gallon containers of water, 4 bottles of wine and still has room for food.. its mainly a second cooler to our 8 CF rv LP/elec unit in airstream. really help after that trip to costco with 3 OJ, milk wine, grapes etc.. highly recommend the alpicool..

My alpicool c15 lasted two years of brutal service until I dropped it, fully loaded, onto concrete. I bought a C20 to replace it immediately. Would I prefer to have an Engel? Sure. But the Alpi does what I need at a price I can afford.

We currently have an Engel MR040. For us, (I understand everyone is different and has different budgets) our fridge is very important and I would rather spend less on other items then my fridge. Our Engel is not fancy, just a single old fashioned knob to control temp and nothing else. I know of Engels from the 1970's still working as an overlander's primary fridge. I don't need a 3000 watt inverter expense, I need a cold reliable fridge that runs off my solar, portable power, battery or shore power. img2.jpg

I recently bought a Whynter 45 Qt 12v/120v fridge/freezer I use it as a freezer since my Norcold fridge has a small freezer so far I like it.

3 or 4 year old $299 Alpicool C50 here doing great. Low power consumption (45 watts). I had it in my RV in 2018, 2019, and 2020. Then into the boat for the past 9 months, covered 5,000 miles, and took it out last week to put it back into my RV for the next year of duty there. EDIT: It has a 4.4 out of 5 star rating at Amazon.

Last edited:
3 or 4 year old $299 Alpicool C50 here doing great. Low power consumption (45 watts). I had it in my RV in 2018, 2019, and 2020. Then into the boat for the past 9 months, covered 5,000 miles, and took it out last week to put it back into my RV for the next year of duty there. EDIT: It has a 4.4 out of 5 star rating at Amazon.

If you carefully read the Amazon reviews, you will see a pattern.... it goes like this......

A review is posted that says the fridge failed in under 1 year.
The Amazon customer tried to reach Alpicool support to no avail. (This was my experience when I tried to contact Alpicool and mainly why I never bought one)

Following this review you will see a half dozen to a dozen abbreviated reviews making a rather bland "vanilla" "Great fridge" or "Completely satisfied" etc etc etc rebuttals and praises. After hearing quite a few stories on this problem at Amazon, I don't have much faith in the reviews.
Amazon was found last year to have a serious problem with foreign vendors either placing fake reviews, paying off customers to change poor reviews to 5 star reviews and other such things. I won't specifically mention any particular country....but most products do come from one of them.

The Wall Street Journal​

Fake Reviews and Inflated Ratings Are Still a Problem for Amazon

Sellers are taking advantage of the online-shopping frenzy, using old and new methods to boost ratings on products

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-r...gs-are-still-a-problem-for-amazon-11623587313

I would place my trust in those at forums like this who have been actively participating members for some time. People who come here frequently discussing forum related topics and being involved. Keep in mind that foreign vendors are also known to have many accounts at most every forum to post fake positive posts about their products. If a member only pops in once in a blue moon to post their support of certain products.....even if they include an avatar with a very average looking American citizen (or especially if they do), take it with a grain of salt and be aware.

:unsure:

Just my 2 cents.
And as always....your mileage may vary....even drastically

Why wouldn't these last a good amount of time like longer than a year if your not letting it slam around or dropping em? These are compressor fridges and just like any compressor if your not abusing em they should last a good long time. Your electrical could be bad as well, or using them cigg plugs is another way I see to kill em from bad connection. I bet you my zokop one will last a lot longer than 1 year 24/7 use which it has almost made already

^Won't help during a power outage. Her post seems like many other posts promoting this or that item. Some with links, others just mentioning the name of an item with a rah-rah review to boost their rep. Seems like a bot at work or someone somehow trying to monetize the recommendations.

^Won't help during a power outage. Her post seems like many other posts promoting this or that item. Some with links, others just mentioning the name of an item with a rah-rah review to boost their rep. Seems like a bot at work or someone somehow trying to monetize the recommendations.
Yeah, raised my eyebrows too. Sounds 'canned', not like a real person who likes a product.

My Alpicool 35 qt worked great, for just over a year. I don't know what happened, think it was the coolant had somehow escaped, because the compressor would come on and run, just wouldn't cool anymore. I had purchased one of those Amazon Asurion policies for it, and it was readily replaced, no questions asked. Then my van got stolen...

Now I have an Iceco, which was the least expensive way to get a Dan Foss compressor. Very pleased so far, I think it is a bit better insulated than the Alpicool, it is definitely quieter, and maintains a more even temp. Will it outlast the Alpicool? I devoutly hope so, but only time will tell.