A van or RV might be my new home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropicaldayze

Reaction score
Hello all, from Florida.  68, in a long messed up marriage and as I watch the clock of life ticking away and deal with multiple health issues, I realize that if I don't make a radical change, my future looks bleak.  I receive a small SS check and have a few bucks in the bank, along with excellent credit.  Just thinking, though, of actually going to a dealer to start looking makes me anxious.  That's basically my story.  My father and I did RV'ing after I graduated college, so not unfamiliar with the lifestyle.  It was fun and we saw quite a bit of the southwest and California.

Hi Tropicaldayze and welcome. Best of luck with everything!

Hi, Tropicaldaze.

I'm thinking of going nomad for, perhaps, similar reasons to you. I'll mostly be relying on Social Security in retirement. I want to keep things simple and inexpensive.

Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Tropicaldayze! Don't make any drastic changes until you're sure the lifestyle will work for you. If possible buy an older used RV and go on the road for a month or more. You'll learn a lot about yourself and RVing in today's world which should help you make decisions about whether to fulltime.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Ditto.

Proceed carefully, don’t do anything quickly.

Things may look bleak for you where you are, but being on the road somewhere broken down or otherwise in a mess is no fun, either.

There is a learning curve to RV’ing, also to full time travel.

Take a breath, move slowly.

Good luck.

IMO, buy a van and cargo trailer or just a van for that matter, if your wanting the freedom to drive around the country. The cargo  trailer just adds space

Buy a rv if you want to to go from point a to point b and stick around for awhile Your going to be limited to were you can go. It's big and bulky and no ment for the heavy mobile use. House on wheels , as they say

A  big trailer trailer will require a heavy duty truck and your somewhat limited on travel. A smaller egg- fiberglass 1 piece trailer will give you more freedom to travel but have less space.

Just my option.

A class B RV is a van with RV amenities built in. In Florida there should be quite a few around. Don't jump into the deep end too quick.

Approach the decision making in a logical and rational manner.

First of all you have to know if van living is going to work with your health issues. As you do get to have a free annual wellness check that is a good time to have a quick discussion with your doctor asking about meeting your health care needs while traveling. Then you also need to have an insurance plan that works for a traveler.

Second step...talk to an attorney. If you do leave that means a very big change in your domestic situation. So like it or not you need to have a serious conversation with a professional legal advisor about the financial changes that any change in your current situation could end up initiating. Just because you don't have a large income does not mean you can just walk out the door with no financial consequences to your situation. You have to protect yourself and you need to start that process before you leave so do an in person consultation ASAP. Be sure you interview the lawyer first before you pay a fee and also get recommendations if you can but not from a mutual acquaintance of you and your wife. Proceed with caution but also with respect and consideration.

Be calm, don't let emotions rule your moves, create a plan by writing down what needs to be done, take all steps in a logical way. That makes the dream of living on the road a lot more likely and you will sustain forward movement towards that goal if you take it step by step.

But while you are working on all those details you can do some educational shopping and maybe even get a tent and some gear and get out and about on shorter trips. Those trips will give you mini vacations from the unhappy situation you find yourself in at present.

First, I apologize for posting in this forum.  This is more for Matters of the Heart.  I thank you all for your responses and insights.  The simple fact is that my wife owns the two condos and both cars.  She doesn't want me on the deeds.  There's a pre-nup I stupidly signed and I've spoken with an attorney.  Air tight, unless I want to spend several thousand dollars and MAYBE prevail to some degree.  We've been through therapy but it helped me more than it helped her.  I cannot work due to bipolar illness, so can't afford to pay rent.  I'm stuck in a dysfunctional, co-dependent marriage unless I find the courage to leave and a van or RV is the ONLY option for living.   I didn't come to this conclusion hastily.

You may be eligible for subsidized housing, as a first and affordable step toward independence, as low income, a senior and/or having a mental disability.

Perhaps meet with a counselor at your community mental health center to explore your options and help you make some initial steps.

I still urge you to proceed cautiously. Living in any vehicle, particularly an RV with its multitude of systems needing maintained, can be challenging and includes often unexpected expenses.

There’s the money issue, also your mental health issues which seem debilitating for you right now.

I am sorry for your situation, and hope you can find a way out.