A Small Step For a Man....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I stopped by the office today and picked a UPS package and tossed it in the bed of my truck. Went out an hour or so later to get it and it was smack in the middle, I couldn't reach it from the side. I disconnected the scooter carrier and lowered the tailgate to jump in. All went well

Leaving the truck with said package involved a 2 ft, at the most , jump to the deck. Certain decisions a person regrets almost immediately, that small jump was one. In that first nano-second of hitting the ground I felt my crappy hip call time out. I tried the old 'tuck and roll' and managed to do it and scrape the hell out of my knees in the process. 

Way back when dinosaurs walked the earth I was shot in the pelvis and leg, thanks to shock and morphine it wasn't so bad. This hurt.

I just laid on the grass and waited, without success, for the pain to decrease and it wasn't. A neighbor walks by and asks if I am okay, "yep, just taking a break".

Finally grab the tailgate and pull myself up and look at that 40 ft walk to my door. Lock the truck up and get the carrier back in position and started walking, slowly.

I started with Tramadol, did nothing. Brought out the big guns. Vicodin. Nada. Oxycontin. Works enough to put me to sleep.

As sore as I am now, I know it will be worse tomorrow so I think RTR is done for me. I had planned on leaving after my ENT appt Thursday. 

I will miss meeting some of you. 

Rob

Ah crude!

I know exactly what you are talking about.

Oh the joys of being given the chance to grow older.
Hope you have enough pain meds to keep you moving and you don't end up getting a replacement hip after all this pain.
Sharon

Gunny, I hope you're wrong and by tomorrow you're good as new and raring to go! In the meantime, thank dog for pain meds

man that sucks, hoping cyndi is right and you're good to go soon

Sorry to hear that Gunny. However, a cpl days in bed(hopefully being waited on), all doped up on opiates...maybe there is a bright side? Get well soon!

That stinks, Gunny. I almost did the same thing yesterday, but my ever present wussiness prevailed and I decided not to jump over the clump of slush by my truck. Got wet shoes and socks but my crap knee didn't end up hurting. This getting older stuff sure hurts.

Gunny, sorry about your tumble. I hope it's right that you will be feeling better soon and you'll end up staying at RTR. Otherwise, my late arrival and your early departure will mean we don't get to meet this year. Most important though is you doing whatever is necessary to feel better.

Tom

Sorry to hear....wishing you a speedy recovery

I hope it gets better soon. It's been said before in my small circle of friends that getting old is not for wimps. I'm now finding out why.

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall.  I hate that out of control feeling in falling down and in a flash wondering is this it, the one that's a bone breaker ?  Since the last time I nearly fell backwards out of the bed of the Ranger I started carrying 2 things with me, a light weight hoe with a triangle shaped head that I use to pull things to me.  if it's a heavy box I can smack the point of the hoe into it to drag it closer.  Also a straightened metal coat hanger for light weight things.​

Hope you feel better soon.

Jewellann