A serious novice on air vents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, So I have been looking on Amazon for one of these Air Vents. However, I have no tools to cut a hole in anything, let alone a vehicle. Would it be better to just let someone do this one job or should I go ahead and buy some tools, that I will probably never use again and try and install this myself? I have zero skills at carpentry or automotive, so I would really like your guys opinions on this. Also, I went to Pro Bass awhile back and someone mentioned why not just buy an O2 fan to circulate air.

I am really kind of confused on what I need, where to place whatever is needed and whatnot. I bought a Smoke/CO detector. Is there any special place I should put that?

I warned you, I am a bigtime novice here. I apologize for the stupid questions.

Peasant

PastTense said:
I think it is likely that you will need to do many little carpentry, automotive tasks in the future so the best approach is to buy some tools and develop some skills.

Here are some instructions from Youtube for installing a vent:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=install+vent+"van"

Thank you Past Tense,
I just watched the video and it seems far easier than I expected. Although, one last question he mentioned that it drained his battery after a very short time. My only electricity starting out will be the 12v ports that are throughout my vehicle. I am still working on figuring out how not to have a battery releasing toxic fumes in my van, so...however, did he have the fan on a high setting or do these fans really take up that much energy? Have you heard of any battery operated fans like this? This is really the only issue that is stressful, so again I apologize for the whimpyness of this thread.

Peasant

This should answer the 'how much energy' question (~half way down article). -- Spiff

What's your budget? If you can afford it I think your best solution would be to just get a vent without a fan and then spend the savings on an AGM battery that doesn't vent anything and pay someone to install the vent and solenoid for the battery.

With those two things you can run a fan and many other things and your life will be much more comfortable!!

Do you stealth park in the city or boondock? If you boondock you can get suitcase solar panel that folds up small and takes no installing. Then you can charge the battery with it. But that won't work in the city.
Bob

Like PastTense said watch as many videos as you can. Its really fairly easy. Making the first cut of a big hole in the roof is very stressful. Wandering if you actually measured right and are not cutting through a support or whatever. Once you start and see its going where you planned it goes easy and is no big deal.

On the other hand I got a quote for installing mine for $60.00 from a RV service place which seems very reasonable but I am not sure if they realized they had to cut the roof or just replace another one.

I ended up doing myself because sometimes I don't always trust someone else to do it right. I am not so good at doing stuff like that but I am good at researching the hell out of how something should be done (and that includes asking for advice on this forum)
Good Luck
A SEEKER

To answer your question about the Smoke/CO detector, smoke rises, so a smoke detector should be up high. CO is the same density as air, but since it's usually the result of some combustion process, it is usually warm, so it also rises.

As close to your sleeping area as possible. As far from any stove or heater as possible. In a van, those considerations hardly apply.

LPG is heavier than air, so it sinks down to the floor and pools there. If you ever get a propane detector, it mounts down low.

Regards
John

If you are going to do it yourself (and once you overcome the fear it is actually pretty easy) here is what I recommend for tools.

Go to Home Depot and buy a Ryobi 18 volt cordless kit that comes with drill, circular saw, batteries and charger. That should cost $100. It will charge just fine off a MSW inverter but they also sell a 12 volt charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter plug and you can charge them while you drive. I think it cost $40-$50. Then buy a 18 volt Ryobi jigsaw. It will cost around $50. Total will be about $200 but it will last for years and you will use it all the time!!!

Use the drill to drill holes at the 4 corners then use the jig saw to cut the lines between the holes. Using the jig saw on metal will be weird at first, it's loud and bounces around but just hang in their and you will get it done.

With the confidence you gain on this project you will be amazed at how much you can do with those three tools. I've built a house, cabin, camper and two decks with mine and more small projects than I can count! I consider it the best $200 I ever spent!!:D

There are much better tools available, but none give you better bang for the buck.
Bob

we used a sawzall on mine, wasnt to pretty but got the job done eventually. Be sure to do it from the top unless you want metal showering you...

i bought an air powered cutoff tool (grinder) cheap, and i think that might be the best tool to cut it, but our compressor was too weak to run it tho.

I would like to start by saying thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your kind advice. You guys on this forum are :angel:
After contemplating all of your advice, I think I am going to go with a mix. First, I am going to follow Bob and buy me some tools. If I am honest and if I want this to be a success I absolutely must be. I think this thread began due to some feelings of intimidation. Believe it or not, I spent 20 years in the Army. However, I was an admin and so my opportunities to work with tools, was not so much, okay, nil. :s Even the two vehicles I owned during those years seem to know who its driver was because they never broke down. Of course, that may have to do with the fact I was pretty fond of taking it in for services.
The good news is that as a retiree I have access to the bases and I am getting ready to take a two week trip to Nashville and the Ft Campbell area. The base has an autocraft center where you can receive classes on changing your oil, tires, and a few other things. I have been told there is a possibility I could ask for 'help' as in someone to keep me from making a huge boo boo but nevertheless letting me do the work. So, I am going to go on Amazon and find one of those 12v Fan-tastic fans and get this chuckles installed.
I can now say I agree with Spaceman Spif and Past Tense. I just need to watch more videos (I saved the link to the one given) and things will be fine.

Again thank you for making this a great forum, especially for a timid traveler. I only have about 12 more weeks and I am on the road. Once I get this fan issue squared the rest of the planning will actually be fun.

Peasant :D

Optimistic Paranoid,

Thank you for your info on the smoke/CO detectors. I have been watching AClarino Youtube and on this matter he is a little confusing.

Peasant
:D

akrvbob said:
What's your budget? If you can afford it I think your best solution would be to just get a vent without a fan and then spend the savings on an AGM battery that doesn't vent anything and pay someone to install the vent and solenoid for the battery.

With those two things you can run a fan and many other things and your life will be much more comfortable!!

Do you stealth park in the city or boondock? If you boondock you can get suitcase solar panel that folds up small and takes no installing. Then you can charge the battery with it. But that won't work in the city.
Bob

Hi Bob,

My plan is three fold, when I finally say goodbye to the bad winter of Chicago, I plan to first start with stealth city parking, then visit my daughter in Texas which according to the websites I have seen has some nice forests and is also close to NM and UT so more good camping grounds. I have to still work on the camping thing though. I need bear repellent and a sleeping bag and way to generate some power. The repellent is easy and I am going to get a mummy bag so just the power source, I would like to do the solar deal. I am going to get a 12v fridge so I can plug into the van. The VW has like 6 12v plug throughout. I don't want to overload it though. I feel kind of dumb for waiting to be my age to start learning about this stuff. Ugh, egads, but you guys are very kind on this forum.

Peasant :D

akrvbob said:
If you are going to do it yourself (and once you overcome the fear it is actually pretty easy) here is what I recommend for tools.

Go to Home Depot and buy a Ryobi 18 volt cordless kit that comes with drill, circular saw, batteries and charger. That should cost $100. It will charge just fine off a MSW inverter but they also sell a 12 volt charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter plug and you can charge them while you drive. I think it cost $40-$50. Then buy a 18 volt Ryobi jigsaw. It will cost around $50. Total will be about $200 but it will last for years and you will use it all the time!!!

Use the drill to drill holes at the 4 corners then use the jig saw to cut the lines between the holes. Using the jig saw on metal will be weird at first, it's loud and bounces around but just hang in their and you will get it done.

With the confidence you gain on this project you will be amazed at how much you can do with those three tools. I've built a house, cabin, camper and two decks with mine and more small projects than I can count! I consider it the best $200 I ever spent!!:D

There are much better tools available, but none give you better bang for the buck.
Bob
Well really thanks for the advice.. Spending $200 is bit hard for me but I hope it will be one time expense..

Once you have the tools and start to get comfortable with using them you'll be amazed at how very useful they are.

You can save some money and skip the 12 volt charger and charge it off an inverter. It will charge no problem off a msw INVERTER. You can also skip the jig saw and use the circular saw to cut the hole in the roof. It will be scary because the blade will throw sparks and the blade will be trash when you are done, but it will do it. You will have to hold the blade guard up and drop the blade down to start the cut. That is also scary the first few times you do it. I've never cut metal with the Ryobi, I'm just assuming it has the power to do it.For a novice with tools, a jig saw is a good tool for the job.

I think there is a good chance that doing this one job would save you enough to pay for the tools and then every job you do with them in the future is money in the bank.

But doing anything for the first time is very scary so be honest with yourself. If you buy the tools but are still too intimidated to use them, you've thrown away money you can't afford to lose.
Bob
Bob

One advantage in having basic tools is you could find someone that could use your tools to help you.