A reintroduction.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, a lot has changed since I first joined in 2015. I'm down to 1 Aussie copilot and became a widow in May.
Never thought I would be starting over at 52.
On the positive side I ordered a Sprinter cargo van and it is scheduled to be built on September 30.
Dealer says it should be here in Oregon mid October. That gives me a few months to downsize and get
the house ready to sell. I will keep the build minimal and simple for now.
I'm hoping to meet fellow van dwellers who also like to hike and sight see. 5 to 15 miles is a good day hike
for the dog and I.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome (back?)
So sorry about your loss.
The Sprinter should be a great base to build on.

Welcome back. Life has a way of going on in spite of losses. It still boils down to what we make it, and it seems like you’re doing it right. Blessings upon you.

Welcome back to the forums, so sorry for your loss. We live in Washington and hope to meet you out on the road someday. We also enjoy hikes but our dogs are not fully trained to be friendly towards other dogs yet. We're 50 and 52 y/o and depending on the hike are currently good for about 10 miles but getting back in shape, we were up to 20 miles per day at our peak 3 years ago. (Ahh, the memories. lol)

I hope to do some exploring in Washington, mostly along the coast.
My dog has bright blue eyes, so he prefers overcast days or hiking in trees.
I've tried dog goggles--ones that claim dogs can't get out of. He can get them off
within 10 seconds. He is 10, got him as an abused/neglected rescue 7 years ago. Very shy and
just follows along behind me. After having a very outgoing/wanting to meet everyone dog he
is a pleasure to hike with, I get lost in thought and forget he is there.

There's some beautiful free sites located around the Montesano and Humptulips part of the Olympic mountains and the Wynoochie dam is near many free sites with a 21 day stay policy.
There's hiking in the area but the Wynoochie pass trail crosses into national park so no dogs allowed. There is a dog friendly 16 mile trail around the resovoir at the dam. Some awesome short hikes to 2 waterfalls with options to swim. Good luck with your travels. They do close wildlife gates on October 1st but still many sites available.

Sorry you have to join the group of widows - became one in October.

The Washington coast is prettiest on Long Beach peninsula then go up through West Port and Ocean Shores. then you kind of loose the coast until you get up north but the highway still doesn't follow the coastline like in Oregon. Up around the Olympic peninsula there are lots of places to hike. From Port Angeles east you start getting near the coast again.

Cammalu said:
What about a visor for your dog?
I wish he would wear something for his eyes. Everything but his harness is
a no go for him. He does use me for shade :)

Thank you for the Washington Coast information. I wish my
van would hurry up and get here.