A long day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
Due to unforeseen circumstances happening back at our home base we drove 1,268 miles from Cheyenne Wyoming back to Bremerton in 20 hours and 43 minutes. That was a long day.
Have you ever driven so long that when you stop to get gas it feels like you're still moving when you get out of the vehicle?

TravelingZombies said:
Have you ever driven so long that when you stop to get gas it feels like you're still moving when you get out of the vehicle?
Had some really long travel days, but never had that effect.  After back packing for more than a week vehicle travel felt like a magic carpet.

The longest drive with no stops except for gas and fast food, I've ever done was from Lowell, MA to Fargo, ND. 1,936 miles. We left at 11 Friday morning and stopped Saturday evening around 6. We were in a bit of a rush as we found out about 9 am Friday that my son was returning to Ft Lewis, WA, from Iraq on Tuesday. I was intent to be in Tacoma on Monday, "just in case". Darned good thing I made it (at noon on Monday) because he arrived just six hours after we got there!
Prior to that my one-day non-stop was just over 900 miles.
Now ar 72 years old, I'd prefer to stay under 300 miles in a day, and split that up if I can.

Cross country between Redding, CA and St Paul, MN. Drove for 17 hours on one stretch, the whole trip took three days, stop for the night at a motel. Lay down in bed, close my eyes, then I would see the highway stretching out ahead and I would be still moving on it.

Always hard to come down after a long drive. Now I try to keep it to two hours, or so, to get to where I want to camp.

When I was younger I drove the 1100 miles between Kansas City and Arlington,VA straight through a couple of times in about 22-24 hours.

My 'iron butt' friend did it in 20 hours on a '66 Sportster.

kklowell said:
I should have asked...is everything ok back home?
Without getting into details I had to return to file charges for burglary, trespassing and negligent homicide in regards to my dad's death last Thanksgiving.

When I was younger I pulled a couple very long trips from Texas to California. It was the destination that I focused on. Now it’s the trip I enjoy. If I see something interesting I stop and check it out. I love the small town vibes and sites. So I keep my driving to 2-3 hours per day. Gives me time to wander around and still find a place to sleep at a decent hour.

Of all the long road trips I've been on this one would rate in the top three. The other 2 were when three of my friends and I when I was 19 drove from Bremerton to Tijuana Mexico during Cinco de Mayo to buy some tacos and beer. Things went interestingly but it took me three months to get released from the Tijuana jail. The other one was when I picked up my wife from work at 2:30 in the afternoon and had the kid with me and drove directly to Disneyland in California got there 8:30 the next morning stayed until 5:30 in the afternoon and then drove home.