A funny thing happened on the way here....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geogentry

Reaction score
Some few minutes ago I was on one thread and finished reading it and was going to go to another when the attached picture happened.

After trying a few things I finally decided it wasnt my computer so the problem was somewhere upstream.  I activated a VPN I have and tried to contact the forum once more.  And tada here I am.

My purpose in posting this is to let people know that with the change in regulations concerning the internet and the Internet Service Providers things may get a little strange on the internet.  I have no idea why my ISP would block access to Cheap RV Living but it certainly appears that is what happened.  So this is just a heads up to everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-12-16 01-05-05.png
    Screenshot from 2017-12-16 01-05-05.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 56
Yep. Net Neutrality was a good thing in my opinion, and now it's gone.

Of course this could get political real quick...

I dont want a political hash erupting from my post. My intent was to let people know that the internet they know is changing. And give them a heads up so that if they run into situations that are odd or unusual they might be able to guess why and have a work around. It will probably be several months before all the dust settles. Right now a lot of groups are watching the ISP to see just how much they are going to change.

But your right this topic could get political - I hope not. I would much rather see other people giving heads up on ISP and what they are doing so we can all make intelligent decisions about our net connectivity that plays a very important role in Nomadic life.

To paraphrase a million bumper stickers:

"If you're not REALLY PARANOID, then you're not paying attention".

Now that's NOT political, but a little tin-foil-hat brigade.  

But there's more truth in statements like that than lies.  IMO. 

Pat

geogentry said:
A funny thing happened on the way here....  

After trying a few things I finally decided it wasn't my computer so the problem was somewhere upstream.  I activated a VPN I have and tried to contact the forum once more.  And tada here I am.

So, from a thread some time ago I wondered, could using a VPN, by-pass the net neutrality rollback and possible throttling issues? This had to do, at the time, with getting around Verizon's "not quite correct" unlimited data offering that was indeed throttling 4G/LTE back to 3G after 10G of use. So, unlimited if you could maintain or even stay connected to a 3G signal.
Anyway, with your post geogentry, I'm again interested in some further experimentation with VPN's. Which one are you using?

PS, I'm not positive how soon all this undoing will be seen in the USA. Seems I remember something about some lawsuits and stuff. But, worth while for a discussion.

Just my 2¢

Matlock said:
So, from a thread some time ago I wondered, could using a VPN, by-pass the net neutrality rollback and possible throttling issues? This had to do, at the time, with getting around Verizon's "not quite correct" unlimited data offering that was indeed throttling 4G/LTE back to 3G after 10G of use. So, unlimited if you could maintain or even stay connected to a 3G signal.
Anyway, with your post geogentry, I'm again interested in some further experimentation with VPN's. Which one are you using?

PS, I'm not positive how soon all this undoing will be seen in the USA. Seems I remember something about some lawsuits and stuff. But, worth while for a discussion.

Just my 2¢

VPN wont get around data flow.  They just dont know who you are contacting.  And I noted that they are now doing an interesting thing, after watching it happen just by chance.  I had VPN active and was down loading a file and happened to leave the window open that tells how much of the file has downloaded and the speed.  With my VPN active they let my data stream run for 6 seconds and then shut it off for 4 seconds.  With email and such you would never notice.  But if your down loading a file or streaming it sure plays the devil with it.  It will knock off a download and it will stall a stream.

As for what I am using now  I was using Firefox as my browser.  I installed opera which I am using now.  I used it before but like Firefox better.  Opera has a VPN built into it.  I tried a few of the free ones out there but they were not very dependable.  Going to have to do some research on a better one.  Seems like this may be the wave of the future with ISP.