a favorite quote

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
It is not the critic who counts;
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;

but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions;
who spends himself in a worthy cause;

who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,

so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt 1910

"The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick."

Joe Abercrombie

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
~Lao Tzu

Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve the silence?
~Sai Baba

I don't know who said it...but here it is...

"Don't sacrifice long term goals for short term pleasure"

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.

Isaac Asimov

The hardest part about gaining any new idea is sweeping out the false idea occupying that niche. As long as that niche is occupied, evidence and proof and logical demonstration get nowhere. But once the niche is emptied of the wrong idea that has been filling it - once you can honestly say, I don't know, then it becomes possible to get at the truth. 

--Robert A. Heinlein

You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Elenor Roosevelt

lanC, yours.is one of my favorites too. I totally believe it !/love those Roosevelt's!

Nobody's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

sephson said:
Nobody's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

And another one from Sam - "if voting made a difference , do you think they'd let you do it"

" I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall." Eleanor Roosevelt

The killer is angel eyed-David Gray-dead in the water

“War is a stern game and he who would play it successfully should not be over-troubled with the bowels of compassion.” Lord Kitchener

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
   in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
   of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

~ Jack London

"I did mama, I hit him back first" my son age 5yrs.   He was complaining that the neighbor boy hit him, so I said "hit him back"...... he did first    :D  

"Put him back"    My 2yr. old grandson to his mother re: new 3 day old crying little brother.

"El Condor Pasa (If I Could)"

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the ground
He gives the world it's saddest sound
Its saddest sound

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Simon and Garfunkel.

While on road trips with my kids, we would see something, (like a sparrow) and jointly start singing.  I miss those trips.

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.
― Lao Tzu

Many of these quotes seem to be credos.   My previous quote was not my credo by any means but one of my favorites because it is succinct and true.

Benjamin Disraeli had so many great quotes they would fill a book.  My favorite, though, was this:

The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity. Benjamin Disraeli