A DayTripper for the Infirmed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
I've been all over the place with what I want, what I need.   What I WANT is more LIFE.  I am nearly a shut-in.  Except for errands, thrift stores.  I have been this way for decades.  So what can the nomad life do for me?    I want to engange in life that only a nomad van/car can do for me.

In a city to my north for 40 bucks a semester I can take many different classes during the week.  I cannot do that now, and I will explain why a nomad daytripper will enable that.

In a city to my south there is a senior center with a warm therapy pool, classes, etc.

Short trips away there is beautiful nature, waterfalls (nearly no hiking too).

The way I live is mostly laying down in my house.  Going out, I cant go for long, walking or sitting without going home to rest, if not outright crash and be able to do nothing for the next day or the next.

How can a nomad daytripper change all this?  Because I am taking my bed/couch and kitchen with me.  So what will change?

I can go North to the school and laydown before class, I can go after class and lay down again.  I can stay put all day in the parking lot.  I can cook and eat because I have magical powers too to cook in my van.

I can go South and stay there for days because there is showers and free coffee.  I can socialize with others, they even have billiards. Sleep in a 24 hr grocery as there are several.

So most important with CFS is PACING.  Do a little bit at a time, in part acts to not overdo and crash.  These North South & Nature activities I mentioned are ALL out of my abilities.  Except if I have my BED and KITCHEN and I can lay down, for however long I need to I BELIEVE I can do these activities.  And be more in the world then out of it.

I can stay put in stick and bricks apartment.     I need not travel to BLM or here or there or RTR.  I can stay in my little piece of the world going no farther than an hour.  I can stay away for days, or I can daytrip.

Comfort-------------Freedom, it still comes to that, but I cannot be like the majority of you in how you live your life.  I want to but cant.  But this will give me a new larger life.  Because Im living small.

And what do you think will be the better vehicle/build for this.  Any youtube links?  Because my minivan is going to need to be replaced soon.
A minivan is always the cheapes buy into but I will spend more if it makes sense.

I welcome any and all comments, to help me realize this new life.  And maybe others who are living small can expand their lives too.

I admire you for your determination to get out there and expand your world, thus improving the quality of your life, in spite of a disability.

That said, my practical nature is immediately concerned for your taking on a “build” of some sort, after decades of being confined to your home and when you have not yet tried your travel plans out.

I suggest day trips in your current minivan, perhaps with a small cooler for simple meals and a daybed of some sort for the naps and rest that you need.

If those go well, try some overnights, and take it from there.

Good luck to you.

There is such security in having my cot ready in the cargo area of my RAV4. If I get sleepy, I can just find a safe place to park and tuck myself in for a nap. If I am short of funds, I have canned goods for a meal. There is a duffle bag of clothes under the cot. Really all you need is bedding, a small cooler, food, and a jug to pee in. I find free wifi at Walmarts, restaurants,grocery stores, etc. Even day trips are more fun, knowing I don't have to trek all the way home for basic necessities.

Are you needing stealth situation? you have other options if wanted as in ….

you might get yourself a small Class B. It has all ya need in it.
A small bathroom and bed and kitchen situation and you can get one of the small ones that easily fit into parking spaces normally vs. 'a big one' that stands out more.

Is this an option you thought about?

heck yea you can expand your life :) smart idea to get what you need to make life work for you and not against you. get out there and go for it!

Just perfect and spot on. Thank you ladies!

Yes I am so close to ready! I already own a cooler. And also at $tree they had Progresso Organic soups in ministrone and lentil so I bought 6 so I can try my hand at heating lunch/dinner.

Yes that is the plan at first to only daytrip. If I find that after having a laydown and rest, and the 30 minute drive back home is not preventing me from doing it again tomorrow or the next day then I will spend a very long time only doing that. It is like a shortish workers commute. I will find what works over time.

Got kitchen/and peeing ready to go, dont mix them up ha. Now for bed. I have a good 6 foot to lay down. Id rather have torn out the folded up back seat that is up against the front seats, but dont know if the van is gonna have to be got rid of. So a cot might not fit. I think the old queen cooling topper cut in half trick will do it.

I liked Susannes (prius) polyester black fleece as curtains to surround the back for when I do want to lay down but dont want peekers. Dont know if I can find that local or will order, but it sure seems simple once you got enough yards to string up or velcro tabs or whatnot. Not taking a lot of energy for privacy, and then I still have 4 windows in back that open out for air flow.

Which brings me to bugs I have the nifty electrified tennis racket for if any bees/wasps/hornets come in through there. ZAP!!

I am so excited getting out into some life! Really the warm therapy pool is calling to me! And in 5 more years I can eat lunch at the center!

No, it never occured to me to get a small Class B, I will have to search that because I dont even know what it looks like. But why not? Id be open. Thanks for the suggestion

one of the nice things about a small B is that it is something to easily handle and it comes equipped with everything one needs to 'live' on the road already so....

daytripping options are less but if ya want maybe, say 2-3 nights out on the road then a 'real home' situation might work best for you.

just google Class B and see the tons of smaller units available. great floorplans, they are sweet :)

just suggestions to keep in mind as you find your way out there :)
play with ideas and one will surely fit what you need

Thank you for the Class B idea.

STUPID QUESTIONS ALERT!

I canceled b4 shipment my oven and pressure cooker. Because it can wait for winter when I will want to warm van for laydowns. Daytripping I can pack my lunch and dinner like Im going to work, it does not NEED to be hot food.

Well, today I watched Bobs new flexibible suitcase solar video. And he was filling up the battery and counting what each one put out.

How much does that battery weigh and can you link me to what to buy I didnt see the battery underneath the video?
Since Im only going to be daytripping does it make sense for me to fill up the battery at home (can I fill it up just out of my electric current at home?? TN is the cheapest electric bar none!
If not, I face east and west so can chase the sun with solar panels at my apartment to charge the battery. If I had to buy that to have the battery

I thought that would be great to take the battery fully loaded on my daytripping then I COULD use those lunchbox heaters, a fan, etc.

I do have a mini sort of dolly that I could roll the battery around my apartment and in and out of the van. I just thought that could give me options for having power in the van.

The battery in the video may or may not fit your needs. What needs to happen first is to find out what your power requirements are. This is accomplished by figuring out what loads you are going to put on the battery. Native 12V devices use less power than 120V ones because of losses in the power conversion. Any heating with electricity takes a big battery bank. This is why propane is highly recommended for heating/cooking. To find out what you electricity budget is requires listing the appliances you plan on using, their voltage, watts or amps and how long you anticipate that load to be used. When all of these are added up you will find out what your electricity budget is. You are now the power company and do not have the unlimited use that living on grid has. With the electric budget, we can then recommend what you need.

While you are in the baby steps stage, think carefully about investing money in items like an extra battery or other equipment.

You have your engine battery that you can use to charge electronics, even to boil water for tea or coffee on your day trips, and if you should go with a Class B or any other RV it will have a coach battery already that powers things when not plugged into electricity.

I have a class B, and it is basically a van equipped for living, and I love it.

But again, I would caution you about spending a lot of money until you know what you want and need, and most importantly how your body responds to the changes you want to make in your life.

Get started, first, is what I’m suggesting. :)

Rose, I am curious, what B do you have? I love class Bs cause of their such total living elements in them and their small size for easy handling.
just wondering :)

Have you considered a portable power station? This is something I wouldn't usually recommend for a vandweller because a solar system with multiple batteries and solar panels is more efficient and cheaper but in your situation a power station might be ideal.

A woman at the Tillamook get together was using a small Jackery and kindly showed her setup. I was impressed by the small size, light weight, the amount of use she was getting from the unit, and the cheap price. She has the smallest one - https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...ocphy=9033345&hvtargid=pla-568502590062&psc=1  She also bought a foldable solar panel to charge it and her battery never went below 85% even though she watched TV for about 3 hours a day and ran a small fan when she needed it. She wants to keep everything in her van portable so that she can transfer into another van if needed because her current van has high mileage.

You could charge the power station at home and then use it on the road to power or charge a fan, your phone, laptop, and lights. If you are just going on day trips or a single overnight you probably would not need a solar panel. I don't think that it would work for a lunchbox heater but perhaps a larger one would.

wow Interstate is sweet :)
just googled one and checked them out and very nice
the prices, hmm, surprised me on that!

So agree that in a small package a B is truly a home one can live in with all the perks. Glad to hear you love your home!

I have an 07, all manual, not the tricked out ones they are selling these days which I could not afford.

Roadtrek makes a nice one, also pleasureWay, and if you stick to the older models they are very reasonable and with good Diesel engines.

I would recommend looking for a fiberglass shelled class B van/motorhome.

For starters, as a day tripper, you could get a heating coil that plugs into your cigarett lighter for hot soups, coffee, tea, etc. I use mine with a copper cup, then pour the hot water into a Stanley kettle as the metal coil length is too short to heat fluids in a tall container). Or just use a wide mouth thermos prepped at home before you go. You can put the hot water in, add 2 hot dogs and have a nice picnic lunch a few hours later. Or heat up some ravioli for the thermos. Lots of possibilities...just google for ideas.