A complete guide to cooking in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikekuna

Reaction score
I'm a part-time van dweller, part-time writer, and full-time retiree.  I just wrote a very extensive post on cooking in a van, minivan, or car and touched on topics that range from types of stoves to baking in a vehicle, to choosing the right type of refrigeration. 

My blog is not an income source for me and there are no affiliated links.  I wrote the post because I thought that van dwellers who are starting out may find the information useful.  You can find the article here:

http://www.drmikekuna.com/the-complete-van-dwellers-guide-to-cooking-in-a-car-van-or-minivan/

Thank you for your time.

Mike

I had to stop reading the blog post long enough to thank you for the objective, sensitive, thorough and important preamble to the cooking goodies!  Your synopsis is most excellent, and I hope you find a wide audience for this narrative.

Now, on to one of my most-est, favorite-est topics:  cooking on and around the road!

Wow, excellent writeup! Very useful information. Hoping others can find this useful too.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

thank you for creating this. Very helpful for the clueless like me

At last! A clear, concise article that I do not have to work out all the grammatical and syntax errors. But, isn't it BLM land? Not BML?

Great article. Lots of good information. I live in a S&B house and love to cook. It is exciting to me to be getting ready to van cook for summer travel. You have so much info that I am learning about. Thank You.
I am working on a van cook book for my own use, but hope one day to find a way to get it out and into other happy cooks vans. Mostly just my own use, I am not sure anyone but me is interested.....
Thank you again this is great

vanbrat said:
I am working on a van cook book for my own use...
I am not sure anyone but me is interested.....
I am definitely interested.  In the S&B, I am generally a lazy, disinterested cook.  Meeting the challenges of preparing decent meals (especially using unconventional methods) while traveling has been a much more empowering experience for me.  Fun, too!  Please do share what you learn.

This is the best 'cooking on the road' article that I have read, anywhere. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you doc, what a work of the heart what you've done here. 
At a glance I do not see a reference to the "Instant Pot".  Am not saying it should be listed, only adding a fwiw comment if of interest... Bob once did a yt interview with a couple in a van who were using the smallest one, and they so liked it.  That was my introduction to it.  (I forget their electric setup particulars.)  And while I'm stationary in my rv at this time and have 110, after I got that smallest one, I found I liked it so much that I use it for almost everything, cook fresh everyday, better and involves less time overall than before.  The timer has made all the difference, for me anyway.  Thank you, will read more, intrigued by your "Tell me your story", might ought to start a thread just for that, or have Bob interview you (or you him) to kick start it amore.

intrigued by your "Tell me your story", might ought to start a thread just for that, or have Bob interview you (or you him) to kick start it amore.

The OP hasnt been back here since the day he joined and posted.

I have a 3 qt instant pot ultra. It's fantastic. Makes my yogurt and my once monthly sous vide steak, among other things. I have 200W solar, 2K inverter.