83 Chevy Carburetor Issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maggie are you coming to the RTR. come on guys and gals can someone bring a compression gauge and check it out at RTR. highdesertranger

I'll report back after searching my storage unit this wknd,  (compression gauge)also my schedule has been less flexible recently but still plan on coming that way. Work (four letter word) keeps calling!

Riverman said:
The ticking noise could be a grounded plug wire, makes a motor run rough.

Could also be a break in the insulation on the ignition coil. I had that once on a 20-YO vehicle. Was able to see a spark jumping to ground when it was dark.

I trust VB, and his opinion the engine may need replacing. I would check the timing as the new distributor could be incorrectly installed. A compression test would tell much about the rings, valves, and head gasket. A vacuum test would be much faster and easier and would identify bad valves or carburetor miss-adjustment or leaks. It is a rare engine that could not run many a mile with very bad internal wear. Knocks, rattles and smoke clouds would not be a good sign. But I'm not there, VB is on site.

Short of replacing the engine, $3000 maybe (???), there may be some things that need fixing and can be fixed without a huge deal of effort. Maggie did manage to drive the van from Idaho Falls all the way down to Ehrenberg, apparently on I-15.

You'd think there would be people around with older vehicles that would have the usual gadgets to keep their engines running: timing lights, vacuum gauges, dwell meters, cylinder compression tester, etc. Maybe scout around looking for old timers with older vehicles. Maybe some at RTR.

Compression Gauges (2) found in storage and put together a small set of tools, Next mission figuring when I can break away. I have intentions of meeting up with the caravan too  and maybe synchronize with others here too. Likely sometime after Xmas for me. Not sure if my assistance is needed but I help out whenever possible and I am supposed to know stuff because I'm high mileage myself.

Start looking for a used engine. You might get lucky and find someone whos parting out an old truck and willing to let you repair your van in their driveway it's happened to me.

I have already said I have several used Chevy engines of various conditions, ages, and performance levels. but first someone needs to confirm it actually needs an engine. highdesertranger