$60/2 lines-unlimited talk, data, text, hotspot including Canada, Mexico:Tmobile

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
Only if you are 55 or older.  I walked by theTmobile store on the way to the market yesterday and saw the flyer on the table outside.  

I had been paying the $100 month for two lines.  I initially went with Tmobile because my kid wanted it for unlimited everything, including streaming, except for anything over 10gb hotspot.  He uses hotspot all the time for his school laptop and tablet. I had been with Sprint, but their coverage is abysmal.

The only caveat is that the tethering is only at 3G.   That's fine and dandy for me.

Right now, they also have a free 8 inch tablet (Alcatel) with unlimited everything except no voice calls.  You get a separate phone number for the tablet.  This is $20 month, but it can be down to $7 month, depending on your equipment.  The lack of voice calls are no problem as my son introduced me to Whats App.  The quaity of the voice calls with that app, during his last trip to Costa Rica, was great.  I have a hard time reading things on my phone at night, so of course I got their tablet.

Between Hubby's cheapo Tracfone and my Kindle on AT&T (no charge after the initial purchase), we're sitting pretty good. I have an unused Jetpack (Verizon), if none of the other networks are reachable, but they're expensive.  

We spend a lot of time in Canada and I need my connectivity. Problem solved.
Ted

I’ve got T Mobile as well but it isn’t good for much in a lot of the rural west.  Lots of “no service” areas for miles and miles.  Course, I’m well old enough to remember driving with no phone anyway so why am I concerned?  I’m not a teenager who will die without their phone on 24-7...  sheesh...  :s

If you already have
1. the old "Simply Unlimited" plan,
2. live around the city,
3. and use lots of data/tethering,

This might not be a better deal. Do your own research.

Sorry to revive a previous thread... Well, not really...
Today, I called the local t mo store. The rep said we could bring our phones, iPhones 5s's.
But they could not guarantee full performance. Why, I asked?
She said because Apple does not update the bands to current levels and connections could be hindered. I ask, by how much? She says she is not allowed to say.

My guess, Apple doesn't update the bands with iOS updates.
And that more commission revenue is thru device sales vs services...

At the end of the conversation, she did say we could begin the process, try our phones with there sims, and update our phones in the future...

If there wasn't a quarter inch of hard packed ice on the roads, we would go over and check the plan out further....

Maybe tomorrow, or Monday...?

this is the problem with Apple's walled garden approach to computing - you are completely at their mercy. That's why I stick with android for mobile. It is endlessly customizable and I can update it myself manually with a custom ROM if my manufacturer chooses not to.

Also, for anyone reading this looking for (relatively) cheap unlimited internet, I use Cricket @ $55/Month. It is limited to 8Mbps for LTE and 4Mbps for HSPA+, which isn't bad. Practically, I get about 400kb/s download speed on the slower network or 800kb/s LTE download speed. I also use over 100GB every month and never have a problem. They do throttle people who use a lot of data, but only if there is network congestion and you have used more than 22GB in the month. Even in cities I don't get throttled all that often.

This is using ATT towers, so the coverage is decent.

We made it over to the t mo store yesterday.

Neither of our iPhones, both 5s's were unlocked. So we couldn't proceed with them.
I called Consumer Cellular and we managed to get one unlocked, so it will be good to go.
The other one was bought second hand and the previous owner never got it unlocked from att.
So it is useless with t mo. Of course, we have no choice but to replace it.

Looking around for an acceptable replacement, we have a few choices...
Buy two new 7s's from t mo and get one free. $569.00 x 2
Buy a new 6s from t mo... $469.00
Buy a refurbished one... $350.00
Buy a used one... $250 issh

Or just screw it and stay with CC and pay for their hi priced data...
I'm sure there are other options and opinions, and I'm doing a huge amount of research....

Such Fun....