5X8 or 6X12?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presteaux!

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages at the moment.  I will be using a SMALL vehicle to tow.  I am 5'10" tall and would like to be able to stand up in it, but mostly standing is okay if I absolutely must.

So, with the small vehicle weight is an important factor for me.  Is there a substantial weight difference between a 5X8 and 6X12?  I would like to be able to put my bed in sideways as that seems to be the most efficient use of space and would free up lots of other space.

I am not planning to go all out and have water tanks.  I'm an 18-wheeler driver, so I'm accustomed to handling the routines that require water in an urban camping type of environment.  And I'm pretty sure that I will begin by staying urban with future plans to get more wilderness.

Anybody have a good guess of what a 6X12 weighs?  Oh, I guess I mean steel since all aluminum seems to be prohibitively expensive.

Old trucker here, too.
I've been thinking about cargo trailers, too, and have thought quite a bit about a 5x8, partially because a friend is selling his Haulmark, and is willing to give me a pretty steep discount.

Then... mission creep sets in. Eventually I'm up to larger size trailers thinking "this isn't much bigger, but I can do THIS.... and THIS...", and now instead of a light trailer my HHR could pull, I'm into stuff that'll be noticeable even to the Suburban.
I spent most of my OTR time living in 42" and 48" flat top sleepers, in which I couldn't even sit up. Compared to that, a 5x8 is a palace.

Overall, I think 6x12 is considered a "sweet spot" size, in which most can stand up, and you can fit just about anything you need in it, but it won't be right for a small car.

Have you considered 5x10 or 6x10? May I ask what is your vehicle's towing capacity and gvwr? If you're over that number with a trailer, your insurance company may not pay for any damages.

5x8 is pretty minimalist. It's like living on the space of a queen size mattress. Also, you can google the weights of different trailers as it will depend on the manufacturer.

a 5x8 SA  empty weight  840# ,  TW 126#,  3500#axle payload 2660#
a 6x12 SA empty weight 1200#,  TW 180# , 3500#axle payload 2300#  ,

george warner said:
a 5x8 SA  empty weight  840# ,  TW 126#,  3500#axle payload 2660#
a 6x12 SA empty weight 1200#,  TW 180# , 3500#axle payload 2300#  ,

When you talk of a "small vehicle" you might mean a compact car, like a Ford Taurus. I pulled a 5 X 8 thousands of miles with an old Taurus. It had trailer brakes. I loaded it with construction materials and other times with furniture. I drove 55-60 mph and tried not to stress engine or tranny. Staying under 1000 pounds, standing but not straight up and driving slow would allow you to live in a 5 X 8  and pull it with a compact car, IMHO.

A 6X12' single axle trailer has a GVWR of 3000 pounds. Mine weighs out at 2800 pounds loaded, and the tongue weight is just under 400 pounds. Doesn't sound good for a "smaller tow vehicle", if that means a passenger car or a crossover-utility-vehicle. The latter is just a car.

If your handy take a look at foamies on the tiny trailers site. There is also A frame folding trailers that have been pulled by smaller cars.

Have you considered a tear-drop trailer or mini-camper with a small screen room?

Sleeping quarters mainly when urban, but a screen room for when you are actually camping/boondocking.

Smaller tear-drop trailers can easily be pulled by most 4 cylinder cars and I would say almost any 6 or 8 cylinder car.

I’m just about finished converting a 5x8 v nose. Things to consider with them. I added to the height by going with a 6 ft ceiling. Finished it gives me 5’ 10”in height I’m 5’10” so only need yo watch my ceiling light. The other major change I made was add a RV style doors and lock.
I can tow it easily with my V6 Rodeo. I wish I had added breaks when I ordered it. They would have added about 200 to the cost. Doing it now will be nearly 400. I think I’m going to want then in the mountains. I’ve set mine up with an awning, Maxaire fan, 12 volt converter and 12 volt wiring. Still have to get 200 watt solar panels and 2 6volt golf cart batteries it’s set u as toyhauler to carry my Refex scoootter

I’m setting up a 6x8x6 Weeroll which is 1400 lbs. I’m 5’4” so I have plenty of headroom and am able to fit my bed across the back which maximizes space. It’s going to be “cozy” in there with the dog and I but I think it will work nicely.

Watch_Cowspiracy said:
Have you considered 5x10 or 6x10? May I ask what is your vehicle's towing capacity and gvwr? If you're over that number with a trailer, your insurance company may not pay for any damages.

5x8 is pretty minimalist. It's like living on the space of a queen size mattress. Also, you can google the weights of different trailers as it will depend on the manufacturer.

I'm all over the place with size.  The sizes I listed were just plucked out of the air--well, mostly.  Seems like 5X8 is THE popular size in 5 footers.  I haven't really begun to look at 6 footers, hence my questions.

GVWR?  Well, I'm not sure.  I'm not quite ready to divulge the vehicle yet since that will be "my hook."  But I used to use one to pull a pair of WaveRunners which brought the towed weight up to right at 2,000 pounds.  And it did that just fine.  So I guess the weight won't be an issue, but I'm kinda wondering about that frontal area and the drag it will bring with it.

I'm also undecided about insurance.  It's an older vehicle, so I'm pretty sure that regular insurance will be iffy.  I may have to find some specialty insurance, but I don't know where.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
A 6X12' single axle trailer has a GVWR of 3000 pounds. Mine weighs out at 2800 pounds loaded, and the tongue weight is just under 400 pounds. Doesn't sound good for a "smaller tow vehicle", if that means a passenger car or a crossover-utility-vehicle. The latter is just a car.

You guys just forced me to actually Google my tow vehicle and hitches/equipment.  Okay, so the factory rating for the vehicle is only 1,000 pounds.  But I used to regularly do double that with no problems.  Heck, actually felt good.

Now, the hitch I'm finding is rated for 2,000 pounds and 200 pound tongue weight.  But it's only 1 1/4" at the receiver.  Now, if I use that I'll have to buy a new hitch.  But I already have a REALLY good hitch Andersen Rapid Hitch that I wanted to use.  However, it's a 2 incher.  And all of the adapters/expanders that I find reduce the hitch's capacity by half and/or have the admonishment not to tow with it (only use it for a bike rack or something similar).  The search is on!

Okay, since I can't figure out how to multi-quote I'm gonna try doing it from scratch.

bullfrog said:
If your handy take a look at foamies on the tiny trailers site.
tx2sturgis said:
Have you considered a tear-drop trailer or mini-camper with a small screen room?

I had kinda considered a tear drop and have not completely rejected that idea yet. It's that back in the day (unlike velojym) I just couldn't wait to get a truck with a sleeper that I could actually stand up in to do simple stuff like pull up my pants. So I kind of have that mentality going on and that limits my choices. It's beginning to look like I should change my thoughts/needs instead...

weestrom05 said:
RV style doors and lock...I wish I had added breaks when I ordered it...I’ve set mine up with an awning, Maxaire fan, 12 volt converter and 12 volt wiring. Still have to get 200 watt solar panels and 2 6volt golf cart batteries it’s set u as toyhauler to carry my Refex scoootter
I'm thinking that the RV style door(s) are pretty necessary. Brakes? Yeah, I was thinking that would come in handy, too. But it seems like the smaller trailers don't usually come with that. Wouldn't that also require a 7-pin setup? I've been swirling awnings around in my head for a few days now. I'd love to have at least one! Fan? Yup. I'd like that, too. Every time I mention rooftop A/C they're quick to shout out $1,000!!! I guess I can ruin quite a few window units and spend less. As for batteries, I have 4 Duracell Group 31 (big truck) AGM batteries in the garage. I'm planning to use them for my power. And I was thinking suitcase solar. And I was thinking a receiver on the rear to carry around a small motorcycle. Really small.

mothercoder said:
I’m setting up a 6x8x6 Weeroll which is 1400 lbs.
I actually spoke to Tom a couple of days ago. They are 120 days out, so that gave me the chance to cool out a little. It's what I really wanted but I keep vacillating between Wee Roll and just cargo trailer. I mean, Wee Roll is great, but then I still have to do quite a few things to it before it's roadworthy. Or at least campingworthy. So then the mind-games start. Why wait for a Wee Roll when you can get a regular trailer and fix it up? Shucks, the only difference is insulation and stuff like that... That's why I'm all over the place with this and I'm counting on you folks to uncloud my mind.

Yay! My old-fashioned multi-quoting worked. And I apparently type fast enough that the forum is delaying my post.

Oh, there is *definitely* charm in being able to stand up. I'm 6'4" by the way.
If I went with my friend's 5x8, I'd be immediately working on planning on some soft extensions for 'more than a catnap' stops.
With wind in mind, probably some sort of cabin tent that I could deploy over the open back door, and I'd prop up the ramp door as a raised platform too. The inside of the trailer would be a 'bed cubby', with a few options thrown in for those no-tent camps, but with the ability to spread out when I could.
I really like my HHR, and if I had the option (probably after I pay off the Burb), I'd like to sell both and find an efficient small pickup, for the benefit of unladen mpg, utility, and far greater towing ability than the HHR.

I'm a long way from making any solid decisions, though, for many reasons. The desert calls, but I am quite anchored at the moment.

Presteaux! said:
I had kinda considered a tear drop and have not completely rejected that idea yet.  It's that back in the day (unlike velojym) I just couldn't wait to get a truck with a sleeper that I could actually stand up in to do simple stuff like pull up my pants.  So I kind of have that mentality going on and that limits my choices.  It's beginning to look like I should change my thoughts/needs instead...

I had camped/boondocked in my standard roof van for 4 years and just KNEW my next van or truck camper HAD to have standing height.

But my trailer gives me that standing room, and so my next vehicle (pickup truck with a commercial topper) ended up without standing height, but plenty of room for sleeping or sitting. 

This truck pulls my trailer easily, and has 4WD, so I was willing to compromise on standing height in the back, since money, gas mileage, maneuverability and overall weight and length of the truck and trailer all had to be considered in my situation.

In other words, sometimes what you think you NEED...is really only what you WANT.

I was a truck driver for 37 years so I understand the wants, but I drove some really small sleeper trucks back in the day, and of course, I was skinnier and more nimble, so they worked out OK. 

Actually, I find the real need for standing height, other than a shower of course, is cooking....I just really need and want room to do that out of the elements when the weather is bad, cold, windy, rainy, whatever. This 6x12 trailer gives me that. I only need the truck topper for sleeping, and storage of clothing and other supplies.

Of course I don't want to persuade you one way or another, except to say that you might need to make some compromises based on your 'small vehicle'.

Good luck with it.

velojym said:
I'd like to sell both and find an efficient small pickup
I actually have a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel and it is a great truck! I've tuned and deleted it and I get ~25-26 mpg with my current food delivery job (https://waitrapp.com/). I get 31 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. When I was delivering campers a couple of years ago, I was getting 16 mpg towing Airstreams up to 6998 pounds. Not as small as a Colorado/Canyon, but I was highly disappointed to find that their 4 cylinder diesel only delivered 1 mpg better than the full size RAM. No thanks.

tx2sturgis said:
In other words, sometimes what you think you NEED...is really only what you WANT.
That appears to be my situation. It is hard to change one's mind, however.
tx2sturgis said:
and of course, I was skinnier and more nimble
Preach, brother! I came out of boot camp at 162.75 and am now over 340. :( I'm hoping this adventure will give me the desire/impetus to walk/hike and maybe even take up yoga.
tx2sturgis said:
I find the real need for standing height, other than a shower of course, is cooking.
Yeah, I was thinking having barn doors with stuff hanging on them and cooking outdoors. But I guess I'm kind of in denial about weather problems. If I can set it up like that, then why not a teardrop with the kitchen out back? Why not? I'm now asking. Especially since it will more than likely also be more aerodynamic. At least from the anecdotes I've been able to find.
tx2sturgis said:
compromises based on your 'small vehicle'.
Okay, I guess I might as well let the cat out of the bag. What I've got is a '95 Camaro Z28. It's the first car I ever bought brand new. I pulled the engine for a 2-week project that has now become ~12 years. :( Once I sell my house I'll be able to complete it.

But it's not going to be exactly how I want it--at least in the suspension department. I was planning lowered suspension. Just for looks. But then came the concern of bottoming out once I add a trailer. So I contacted Steve (https://timbergroveenterprises.com/) since he hooked me up with the air bags on the RAM. He re-directed me to ridetech. And their product is exactly what I need. But the $$$! Just the springs are over 2 grand. Then there are over 2 grand in the other stuff needed to make it work right. But that would be exactly what I need to have the "low" setting when parked, "medium" setting for highway, and "high" setting for the off-road ventures.

That's what I was planning for my hook. Fat guy takes to the road in his Camaro pulling a trailer. Of course it's not the most practical way to do it. But my plan is to become Bob-esque in my fan(?) base and income. Of course it will take time, but even Bob didn't do it overnight.

Now that I've let the cat out of the bag, I'd like to expound on it some more. Should I start another thread or just keep adding to this one?

Yeah, compromise is everywhere. If I had to go *right frikkin' now!* I'd be in my Suburban, which is more than adequate for sleeping space, though I can forget about even crouching, much less standing, in it.
However, a simple tent rigged to the hatchback, would make for a fine stand-up area when I'm settled into a campsite, while the Burb itself would still work for enroute sleeping, and when the wind is just too stiff for a tent.
Following the weather, this would not be a bad way to go, and I can get about the same fuel economy with the bobtail burb as a smaller truck with even a light trailer.

...sigh... Analysis Paralysis... Thanks, Bob!

By the way, that's also my Burb's name. :)

tx2sturgis said:
Why not use the RAM 1500 for traveling/camping?

One would think that that would be a much better choice.  And I did use it for a couple of months delivering campers--and it was the PERFECT tool for the job.  But I want to do something different.  Even though I want to do what so many others are doing, I want to do it in a different way.  Something that will garner some attention and (hopefully) subscribers so that I can get a few dollars out of it.

I have considered that once I get an income stream going that maybe I could upgrade to a wagon big enough to bring the car around and then just use the car at my leisure once I get somewhere.

Of course, I might never get an income stream going.  You never know!  But even if I don't, I think I'll have fun trying.