5th wheel cargo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USACelt

Reaction score
Any one here seen or heard of a conversion using a 5th wheel cargo trl. ?
Looking for ideas while in transition.

USACelt said:
Any one here seen or heard of a conversion using a 5th wheel cargo trl. ?
Looking for ideas while in transition.

A quick Google Images check only turned up some interesting Slide-In Camper 5th Wheel conversions and some other oddballs, but no cargo trailers yet.

LeeRevell said:
A quick Google Images check only turned up some interesting Slide-In Camper 5th Wheel conversions and some other oddballs, but no cargo trailers yet.

Ya, but it is a blank canvas and I have some ideas just looking in to it with hopes of some more Inspiration
:D

Look up tiny houses. They are mostly homemade dwellings on trailers.

Popular with equestrian trailers, living space up-front and stalls in the back.

Also some race car haulers done the same way.

I've toyed with the idea several times. I envisioned living quarters in front and a garage with my motor bike and tools in the back. The main benefit over my current set up would behaving a real queen size bed that could stay made up. And a place for a stand up shower inside. The disadvantages would be more weight, and if I kept my current tow vehicle somewhat less ability to go down rough roads, especially creek crossings. With a fifth wheel or gooseneck set up, and a regular pick up bed, the trailer comes closer to the bed going through dips and over humps. It doesn't take that severe a dip or hump for the trailer to make contact with the bed damaging it. If you're willing to go with a flat bed on the truck though, much of that can be minimized.

That is inspiring.

And gives me ideas...

I know I can do that.

masterplumber said:
I've toyed with the idea several times. I envisioned living quarters in front and a garage with my motor bike and tools in the back. The main benefit over my current set up would behaving a real queen size bed that could stay made up. And a place for a stand up shower inside. The disadvantages would be more weight, and if I kept my current tow vehicle somewhat less ability to go down rough roads, especially creek crossings. With a fifth wheel or gooseneck set up, and a regular pick up bed, the trailer comes closer to the bed going through dips and over humps. It doesn't take that severe a dip or hump for the trailer to make contact with the bed damaging it. If you're willing to go with a flat bed on the truck though, much of that can be minimized.

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing to this trailer, sorry nite pics.
I gotta have my bikes!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5d521msvr57xtq/IMG_20150411_211626_729.jpg?dl=0

I would go with a goose neck over a filth wheel any day of the year. you don't have that stupid hitch in your bed but you have all of the benefits of a fifth wheel. btw fifth wheels can be converted to goose necks. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would go with a goose neck over a filth wheel any day of the year.  you don't have that stupid hitch in your bed but you have all of the benefits of a fifth wheel.  btw fifth wheels can be converted to goose necks.  highdesertranger
Ya gooseneck is what I got plans for, I had my terms mixed between the two :p