5 gallon or 7 gallon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Was looking at five gallon buckets which are $5 all day at Lowes, or maybe thinking of the seven gallon buckets which are $10 plus ten for shipping (so buy a few when you need them) from a plastics supply company.

Do folks just make due and learn how to squat over the bucket, if you are a big-tall guy?  Kind of hard to sit on those short buckets.

Maybe have something suitable to place under the bucket to raise it to a height that's best for you>?

Ya know thinking about this for a moment, I got a new 5 gallon bucket from PepBoys yesterday as a freebie to a purchase amount and it seems as tall as the toilet in the house.

thinking just nest three buckets to get the height high enough. Plus it gives spares. $15 is not bad. Plus the foam noodle $1, and some plastic kitchen bags; and clumping kitty litter.

offroad said:
thinking just nest three buckets to get the height high enough.  Plus it gives spares.  $15 is not bad.  Plus the foam noodle $1, and some plastic kitchen bags; and clumping kitty litter.

Just be careful that when you put your weight on the top one that they don't compact so tightly together that you'll never get the bottom ones off again. IIWM, I'd put something along the rim of each of the bottom two so that they can't get jammed.

Almost There said:
Just be careful that when you put your weight on the top one that they don't compact so tightly together that you'll never get the bottom ones off again. IIWM, I'd put something along the rim of each of the bottom two so that they can't get jammed.

was mentioned to just put a 2x4 block of waste wood in there as a spacer. I also bought the GAMMA LID so that I can screw and unscrew the lid, instead of having a pop lid tool, and trying to pop that off all the time.

made for the medical industry

9630-1_400_B.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=com...AI#tbm=isch&q=medical+portable+toilet&imgrc=_

i've seen some that fold

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

milkcratetoilet_zpsg61d0eq5.jpg

I have a Reliance hassock type -- but with the bucket and bag method not the chemical one. It is quite comfy but also lower than I'd prefer. I was hitting some yard sales in Helena, MT, with a friend and saw an exercise "step" system. Each "layer" step is about 2-3 inches, so I ended up using only one. But, since they are made for people to step up on with a litle jump, the layer is sturdy and plenty large enough for the size of the hassock. The top layer I use also has a rubberized tread on it so the plastic hassock does not slip around (off).

I got the whole set up for $3 -- so I counted that as a lucky day. You may find other such discarded exercise steps in larger thrift stores.

to keep buckets from sticking together. get some of those free paint stirrers the wood ones and put one along the side of each bucket when you nest them. highdesertranger

I'm 5'8" and find the 5 gallon just a smidgen too short. I compared a 5 gallon bucket's height to one toilet and the toilet was only one inch taller. Buckets aren't anchored like toilets, so I suspect one would notice the height more- especially when wiping. One of these days I will try a taller bucket when I find a used 6 or 7 gallon.

offroad said:
Was looking at five gallon buckets which are $5 all day at Lowes, or maybe thinking of the seven gallon buckets which are $10 plus ten for shipping (so buy a few when you need them) from a plastics supply company.

Do folks just make due and learn how to squat over the bucket, if you are a big-tall guy?  Kind of hard to sit on those short buckets.

I got a bunch of 4, 5, & 6 gallon buckets from a bakery just for asking.

I use a 5 gallon bucket for poo.  Put a Gamma Seal lid on it and cut a plywood ring that I attached to the underside of regular toilet seat.  Comfy.

honey bucket saddle.jpg

Gamma Seal lid insures no smells get out until emptied.

-- Spiff

Attachments

• honey bucket saddle.jpg
    honey bucket saddle.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 13
This is what I was able to do with one of the bakery sourced buckets. It's plenty tall enough for me at 6'2" but not too tall for my 5'2" wife. There are spacers under the bucket (1") to raise it above the camper toilet flange.
uploadfromtaptalk1439898164335.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439898170282.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439898164335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439898164335.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439898170282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439898170282.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 15
I vote no bucket at all. I can definitely appreciate their multi-use appeal, but I much prefer to have something I can flush that doesn't leak a drop of liquid or even a tiny whiff of stink. When it gets full, I simply dump it down a toilet. Pit-toilets are even better for disposal (no flushing/clogs to deal with).

I put three rolls of toilet pair inside bucket #1 and then place bucket #2 on top of that. Buckets don't stick together. I have extra tp and don't run out.

Bonus is that the separation will allow the handle to lock on the lip between buckets and hold together when carrying.

Sabatical said:
BigT that's a nice porta potty holder rig you built!

Thanks!  :)

Without the enclosure, and when the lower tank is empty, it tends to be quite top-heavy and likes to fall over in tight turns, even if I tie it down.  
Also, I put blue bleach in the top tank, and I wouldn't want that getting on my carpets or bunk.  

The walls of the box are just tall enough to ensure the potty won't tip over, but allow me to remove the top tank by itself if I need to.

Originally I was going to put my house-battery in the box next to the toilet, but I've since mounted that under the hood.  Now the box contains toiletries and a garbage bag/bin.

BigT, on my Thetford it says not to put any chemicals in the top tank. water only, it goes on to say add a little chemical to the bottom tank if you need to use chemicals. highdesertranger