5 gallon or 7 gallon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
BigT,  on my Thetford it says not to put any chemicals in the top tank.  water only,  it goes on to say add a little chemical to the bottom tank if you need to use chemicals.  highdesertranger

I think I may have read that for my Camco too, but I tend to ignore instructions and do whatever I want.  :p

I figure it's going to end up in the lower tank anyway, and this way it sanitizes and deodorizes the bowl on its way down.

Edit: I was just checking my Amazon order from 2014 when I got this thing...  I paid $70 then, but now it's $85.   :s

Google bucket Caddy/Dolly/Carts & look at the images. One even turns a 5 gal. bucket into a wagon, handy for prospecting. The caddy and wheels may give enough height to the bucket toilet and double as a place to sit with padding on the seat while cooking, computing and such. I'd suggest 1 with locking wheels or some improv. You wouldn't want to end upon the floor!

BigT said:
I think I may have read that for my Camco too, but I tend to ignore instructions and do whatever I want.  :p

I figure it's going to end up in the lower tank anyway, and this way it sanitizes and deodorizes the bowl on its way down.

Edit: I was just checking my Amazon order from 2014 when I got this thing...  I paid $70 then, but now it's $85.   :s

I'm pretty sure that warning of not using chemicals in the top tank is so that the seals will all remain elastic as needed to properly seal. Chemicals tend to dry them out and make them crack.

Writer Ms, that is the exactly why they tell you not to put chemicals in the top tank. but since Big T didn't seem to care I didn't pursue it any further. btw I believe one should only use the green type chemicals in your septic system, many of the dump stations request this because the harsher chemicals shut down the digestion in their septic systems. highdesertranger